    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Siliceo26 Guest

    I just hope he replaces all the guns with walkie talkies in the dvd editions
    Siliceo26, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Grand Inquisitor

    Hugh Candlin Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message news:lNkcb.14741$...
    > Why won't he release the original versions of his films when he releases
    > them all on DVD?

    Ego. E-G-O. Blended with revisionism.

    Which director's names spring to mind when you think of
    immensely popular old movies not yet on DVD?

    Lucas? Check. Spielberg? Check.

    It keeps their names on everyone's mind, which is all they care about.
    They need to be the focus of attention. The later Star Wars movies
    came out fast because they lack the cachet of 'the original trilogy'.
    [I'm actually surprised that Lucas hasn't trademarked that expression]

    Kubrick? Check, but he took the different approach,
    and told people to go to hell when they demanded OAR on DVD.

    Same result. Kubrick, front and center, where he wanted to be.
    Hugh Candlin, Sep 24, 2003
  4. On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:48:01 GMT, Grand Inquisitor <> scribbled:
    > If that's true why not film the Hoth ape attack
    > scene for the special editions?

    Dear lord, man, don't give him any ideas!

    VJM
    Vincent J. Murphy, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Grand Inquisitor

    BubbCoop Guest

    >Why won't he release the original versions of his films when he releases
    >them all on DVD?

    if it's true, he's an idiot. Just don't buy them. If everyone just holds onto
    their money, he'll get the message.
    BubbCoop, Sep 24, 2003
  6. I still wanna know when he's gonna give "Twice Upon a Time" a DVD release.

    but, yes, someone should bury the SE Star Wars prints like those E.T. Atari
    2600 cartridges
    Vlvetmorning98, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Grand Inquisitor

    Evander Guest

    "BubbCoop" <> wrote in message
    > >Why won't he release the original versions of his films when he releases
    > >them all on DVD?

    > if it's true, he's an idiot. Just don't buy them. If everyone just holds

    onto
    > their money, he'll get the message.

    I for one will not be buying the SE of Star Wars. I watched the original
    versions in the theaters and fell in love with them. The SE's suck.

    Evan
    Evander, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Grand Inquisitor

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Jordan Lund, Sep 25, 2003

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3350786814&category=41575

    > OK, so a bunch of guys in Hong Kong are able to put them out on DVD
    > but George Lucas can't?
    >
    > - Jordan

    Yeah but they're missing the Director's Commentary <grin>
    Adrian S. Kuiper, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Hugh Candlin wrote:

    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message news:lNkcb.14741$...
    >
    >>Why won't he release the original versions of his films when he releases
    >>them all on DVD?

    > Ego. E-G-O. Blended with revisionism.
    >
    > Which director's names spring to mind when you think of
    > immensely popular old movies not yet on DVD?
    >
    > Lucas? Check. Spielberg? Check.
    >
    > It keeps their names on everyone's mind, which is all they care about.
    > They need to be the focus of attention. The later Star Wars movies
    > came out fast because they lack the cachet of 'the original trilogy'.
    > [I'm actually surprised that Lucas hasn't trademarked that expression]
    >
    > Kubrick? Check, but he took the different approach,
    > and told people to go to hell when they demanded OAR on DVD.
    >
    > Same result. Kubrick, front and center, where he wanted to be.

    That's because Kubrick shot his movies open matte, to be matted in
    theaters. He shot with the 4:3 compositions in mind. It's not like
    you're getting pan and scan. Frankly I prefer 4:3, even though in the
    hands of the right director like Carpenter or Kurosawa 2.35:1 is
    gorgeous. Not that a director need be extra talented to work well in
    widescreen, it's just that some directors have a flair for it.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 25, 2003
  11. Vincent J. Murphy wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:48:01 GMT, Grand Inquisitor <> scribbled:
    >
    >>If that's true why not film the Hoth ape attack
    >>scene for the special editions?

    > Dear lord, man, don't give him any ideas!
    >
    > VJM

    Actually I really wish that had been filmed. And shouldn't he ask for
    the input of Irwin Kershner and Richard Marquand? He only directed the
    first one, ya know.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 25, 2003
  12. BubbCoop wrote:

    >>Why won't he release the original versions of his films when he releases
    >>them all on DVD?

    > if it's true, he's an idiot. Just don't buy them. If everyone just holds onto
    > their money, he'll get the message.

    No, he won't get the message. After he dies and his heirs are in
    charge, I'm sure they'll come to their senses. What will they care
    about their lunatic father's raping of those classics?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 25, 2003
  13. Adrian S. Kuiper wrote:
    > Yeah but they're missing the Director's Commentary <grin>

    A Lucas commentary, yikes. "My original plan for the Princess Leia
    character was that royalty on her planet were trained to speak in the
    accent of the person they were speaking too. Yeah, that's the ticket."

    (If you get that one, I owe you a Coke)

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 25, 2003
  14. Grand Inquisitor

    Shinner Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in news:QLrcb.14047$cK5.2332
    @fe1.columbus.rr.com:

    > A Lucas commentary, yikes. "My original plan for the Princess Leia
    > character was that royalty on her planet were trained to speak in the
    > accent of the person they were speaking too. Yeah, that's the ticket."

    I don't remember her saying "yo yo yo" to Lando
    Shinner, Sep 25, 2003
  15. Grand Inquisitor

    d a v e Guest

    > > Why won't he release the original versions of his films when he releases
    > > them all on DVD?

    > What kills me is stuff like this:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3350786814&category=41575

    > OK, so a bunch of guys in Hong Kong are able to put them out on DVD
    > but George Lucas can't?

    wow, that auction got yanked quick, someone here must have a beef with
    bootleggers...

    if anyone doesn't want to pay $50.00 + for the original versions on dvd-r
    with no audio sync issues, burned in subtitles, or any of that other crap
    you get with hong kong inports, let me know...
    d a v e, Sep 25, 2003
  16. george lucas is a superlative film producer; as a businessman, buthead lost
    his up inside the rectum the last time he jammed it up cornhole re: the star
    wars series; now indiana jones.
    ross perot was a superlative loudmouth, good businessman, got megarich, and
    was never a politician. LOUDMOUTH billionaire, where money never buys
    dignity. he lost. never call either of these idiots what they truly are,
    lest gas be passed upon you-- i'll stay away from the poles this year, as
    most maerican do, because there is simply nobody worth voting for. if these
    two jackasses end up in contention with one another. this is crap--- flush
    it

    douglas pratt, Sep 25, 2003
  17. Grand Inquisitor

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > If that's true why not film the Hoth ape attack
    > scene for the special editions?

    If you're referring to the scene where the Wampas infiltrate the Hoth
    base, and are led into a trap so that Rebel soldiers can take them down
    with a laser cannon...he did. (The shot where the Walkers cause a chunk
    of ice to fall on R2's head was an outtake from that scene. In one of
    the early trailers, there's a shot of Threepio tearing off a sign from a
    door...this was a "joke" scene, where Vader's snowtroopers go into the
    off-limits section, and get attacked by the Wampas.)
    Peter Briggs, Sep 25, 2003
  18. Grand Inquisitor

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Evander <> wrote:

    > "BubbCoop" <> wrote in message
    > > >Why won't he release the original versions of his films when he releases
    > > >them all on DVD?

    > > if it's true, he's an idiot. Just don't buy them. If everyone just holds

    > onto
    > > their money, he'll get the message.

    > I for one will not be buying the SE of Star Wars. I watched the original
    > versions in the theaters and fell in love with them. The SE's suck.

    Oh, nonsense. There's only a few minor things that are awful in the
    SEs. You should do an A-B comparison on them...I did a few weeks ago.
    Peter Briggs, Sep 25, 2003
  19. Grand Inquisitor

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Vlvetmorning98 <> wrote:

    > I still wanna know when he's gonna give "Twice Upon a Time" a DVD release.

    Hear, hear.
    Peter Briggs, Sep 25, 2003
  20. Grand Inquisitor

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Jordan Lund <> wrote:

    > OK, so a bunch of guys in Hong Kong are able to put them out on DVD
    > but George Lucas can't?

    I have the original (legit) Malaysian VCDs, and have seen great files of
    the SEs. (The ANH one has a nice tweak in it...someone's replaced
    Greedo to NOT firing first!)

    Out of curiosity...is it possible to make a playable DVD using DIVX or
    AVI source files? I haven't a clue about how to go about doing it, if
    it were possible.

    It's crucial to note that the print quality of the SEs are far superior
    to the originals. Frankly, the SE of TESB is leagues ahead of the
    original theatrical release prints, which had quite horrible color
    tweaking.
    Peter Briggs, Sep 25, 2003