    storage that is used by large companies is still pretty expensive. Can
    someone please explain to me in layman's terms why that is?

    Thank you very much.
    John, Mar 15, 2008

  2. John

    nobody > Guest

    Re: Why is enterprise storage so much more expensive than personalstorage?

    John wrote:
    > You can buy a 250 GB external hard drive for a personal computer for
    > very cheap nowadays. But I was told that the type of enterprise
    > storage that is used by large companies is still pretty expensive. Can
    > someone please explain to me in layman's terms why that is?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    Enterprise storage uses much more robust drive interfaces and drive
    array systems. They are designed so that one drive (or more) of an array
    can fail and the system will still keep running without losing any data.
    Failed drives can be replaced on the fly (hotswapped) and the system
    will automatically write the necessary files to the new disk.
    Reliability and redundancy are necessary for business-grade datacenters.

    Besides drive redundancy, there's usually redundant power connections
    and input/output systems.

    Top it off with constant health monitoring systems and cooling, and you
    have spent some serious dollars.

    Google on RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives) and you will
    start to understand some of what's going on. Enterprise storage is a
    large step up from RAID but uses the same basic principles.
    nobody >, Mar 15, 2008

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:37:12 -0700, "nobody >"
    <> wrote:

    >Enterprise storage uses much more robust drive interfaces and drive
    >array systems. They are designed so that one drive (or more) of an array
    >can fail and the system will still keep running without losing any data.
    >Failed drives can be replaced on the fly (hotswapped) and the system
    >will automatically write the necessary files to the new disk.
    >Reliability and redundancy are necessary for business-grade datacenters.

    Thank you for the information.
    John, Mar 15, 2008
  4. John

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:45:16 -0700, John wrote:

    >You can buy a 250 GB external hard drive for a personal computer for

    Multiply that by 40, add a storage cabinet, network connections,
    controllers, redundancy :)

    Even a just 4 of those , a larger case and raid card for home isn't low
    cost either. Maybe 1 of the reason there are those - how do I recover my
    data questions :)

    >very cheap nowadays. But I was told that the type of enterprise
    >storage that is used by large companies is still pretty expensive. Can
    >someone please explain to me in layman's terms why that is?

    The disk speed are (were generally) higher we have nothing less than 10K
    as standard (and that was a few years ago) some maybe 15K now. The
    interfaces are different, redundant controllers. All the systems have
    hot swap which usually involves different controller / power connectors
    (1 of the features now found on SATA).

    It's not just the drives, it the cost of the hardware to support the
    drives and even networking @ 1Gbps (copper or fiber) or teamed to 2Gbps
    or basic redundancy. Even the SANS running through some servers (the
    older ones) have 5 NICs mixed fiber / Ethernet + management just to have
    no single point of failure.

    2 of the SANs we use have dual redundant fiber switches, dual connected
    to the disk arrays, and network that's not cheap.

    >Thank you very much.

    Me
    why?, Mar 15, 2008
  5. Re: Why is enterprise storage so much more expensive than personalstorage?

    > You can buy a 250 GB external hard drive for a personal computer for
    > very cheap nowadays.

    That pricing depends on which drive assembler you use. A 250 GB drive
    from one assembler can cost $160, but there are cheap drives on the
    market that have 500 GB for less money. The more-expensive drive
    housings can use FireWire and eSATA interfaces, instead of the
    more-common USB interface.

    > But I was told that the type of enterprise
    > storage that is used by large companies is still pretty expensive. Can
    > someone please explain to me in layman's terms why that is?

    The expensive storage systems use SCSI or FC-AL connectivity. These
    drives use more-robust controllers and can support faster data transfers
    than any consumer-level drives. Except for the Western Digital 10K SATA
    drives, most consumer-level drives support only up to 7,200 RPM. The
    SCSI and FC-AL drives run at 10,000 RPM and 15,000 RPM. Their data
    transfer speeds are more efficient than IDE or SATA.
    Alexander Rogge, Mar 17, 2008