    Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that) on Xbox
    Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?
    The alMIGHTY N, Jan 7, 2008

  2. The alMIGHTY N wrote:

    > If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    > Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that)

    (Trust me: You DO. A LOT more than the Aristocats or Oliver & Co...
    I don't know what the Aladdin/Mermaid boys have got for directing movies
    over all the others at the studio, but bottle it up send a case of it
    over to Dreamworks, stat.)

    > on Xbox
    > Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    > why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    Mostly, it's that they haven't been REMASTERED in HD yet--
    Also, that little thing called the Vault, that SNL likes to joke
    about...Now that every movie has already been released in SD over the
    last seven years, they need an excuse for starting the sales cycle over
    and event-selling them again, and, why, look! :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 7, 2008

  3. The alMIGHTY N

    T.B. Guest

    "The alMIGHTY N" sez:

    > I've been able to download high-definition versions of many of Walt
    > Disney's animated classics on Xbox Live Marketplace. Granted, these
    > are not 1080p (or even full bitrate 720p) versions but they're still
    > high-definition and they're still watchable right now by anyone who
    > owns an Xbox 360.

    That's........... great. Most people who watch Disney movies however simply
    buy them at just about any store within walking distance of their homes and
    in often superior quality on regular old dvds. Or watch and record them off
    cable or satellite tv. Paying to download mediocre quality movies onto a
    over-expensive, poorly designed gaming console is a tiny fraction of the
    currently tiny niche market of HD-dvd/Blu-ray dvd.

    > It just seems strange that with an obvious need to attract more
    > consumers to Blu-Ray, big studios like Disney, Fox and MGM have been
    > so slow to release their big catalog tentpole franchises which would
    > surely provide incentive for movie fans to make the transition to high-
    > definition.

    You mean like Sleeping Beauty and Finding Nemo along with dozens of other
    animated and live action titles?

    http://www.digitalbits.com/#hdspin

    > If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    > Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that) on Xbox
    > Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    > why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    Uhhh, I wouldn't call the above titles anything near the upper tier of
    Disney's animated films. Is Fantasia or Sleeping Beauty among those titles?
    No? Well, I can watch Fantasia on dvd as well as Sleeping Beauty and soon
    on blu-ray for SB. And Cars and Ratatouille look pretty amazing on blu-ray.
    How do those movies compare to the downloadable XBox versions?

    With any luck, you can soon pay to download old episodes of Gilligan's
    Island for your wonderful XBox.

    T.B.
    T.B., Jan 7, 2008
  4. The alMIGHTY N

    Phisherman Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:28:49 -0800 (PST), The alMIGHTY N
    <> wrote:

    >I've been able to download high-definition versions of many of Walt
    >Disney's animated classics on Xbox Live Marketplace. Granted, these
    >are not 1080p (or even full bitrate 720p) versions but they're still
    >high-definition and they're still watchable right now by anyone who
    >owns an Xbox 360.
    >
    >It just seems strange that with an obvious need to attract more
    >consumers to Blu-Ray, big studios like Disney, Fox and MGM have been
    >so slow to release their big catalog tentpole franchises which would
    >surely provide incentive for movie fans to make the transition to high-
    >definition.
    >
    >If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    >Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that) on Xbox
    >Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    >why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    Well, I've waiting long enough for "Song of the South," and finally
    bought an underground DVD at a flea market. I would gladly buy an
    official Disney release, but they won't do it.
    Phisherman, Jan 7, 2008
  5. On Jan 7, 3:42 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > The alMIGHTY N wrote:
    >
    > > If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    > > Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that)

    > (Trust me: You DO. A LOT more than the Aristocats or Oliver & Co...
    > I don't know what the Aladdin/Mermaid boys have got for directing movies
    > over all the others at the studio, but bottle it up send a case of it
    > over to Dreamworks, stat.)
    >
    > > on Xbox
    > > Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    > > why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    > Mostly, it's that they haven't been REMASTERED in HD yet--
    > Also, that little thing called the Vault, that SNL likes to joke
    > about...Now that every movie has already been released in SD over the
    > last seven years, they need an excuse for starting the sales cycle over
    > and event-selling them again, and, why, look! :)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    So basically they're in the correct resolution for HD but not
    necessarily at the right bit rate?
    The alMIGHTY N, Jan 8, 2008
  6. On Jan 7, 4:55 pm, "T.B." <> wrote:
    > "The alMIGHTY N" sez:
    >
    > > I've been able to download high-definition versions of many of Walt
    > > Disney's animated classics on Xbox Live Marketplace. Granted, these
    > > are not 1080p (or even full bitrate 720p) versions but they're still
    > > high-definition and they're still watchable right now by anyone who
    > > owns an Xbox 360.

    > That's........... great. Most people who watch Disney movies however simply
    > buy them at just about any store within walking distance of their homes and
    > in often superior quality on regular old dvds. Or watch and record them off
    > cable or satellite tv. Paying to download mediocre quality movies onto a
    > over-expensive, poorly designed gaming console is a tiny fraction of the
    > currently tiny niche market of HD-dvd/Blu-ray dvd.

    The Disney animated classics available for download on Xbox Live
    Marketplace are of much better quality than DVD. They're marked as HD
    although Derek Janssen's observation that they may have not been truly
    remastered for HD makes me question just how valid that marking can
    be.

    I did watch one movie and it looked about as good as anything I've
    seen on broadcast HDTV. Granted, that's not as good as Blu-Ray or HD-
    DVD but it's still better than DVD.

    > > It just seems strange that with an obvious need to attract more
    > > consumers to Blu-Ray, big studios like Disney, Fox and MGM have been
    > > so slow to release their big catalog tentpole franchises which would
    > > surely provide incentive for movie fans to make the transition to high-
    > > definition.

    > You mean like Sleeping Beauty and Finding Nemo along with dozens of other
    > animated and live action titles?

    Most of the movies that any high-def studio have released are more
    recent fare. You don't see too many of the big tentpole franchises
    right now although some are making their way to consumers in 2008.
    Even the Die Hard movies didn't come out until the end of 2007... you
    would figure that would be a no-brainer for Blu-Ray early on.

    Instead, we get a lot of crap that most people don't even know is
    Disney in the first place (the name Disney tends to bring up images of
    deer, mice and princesses).

    Sleeping Beauty and Finding Nemo aren't going to hit the shelves until
    late 2008, about 2 1/2 years after Blu-Ray's introduction. Yes, I
    remember that they were much slower with DVD, but Disney was on board
    with Blu-Ray from the get go as opposed to their conflict with DVD
    early on.

    My point was that releasing bigger titles earlier would have helped
    consumer adoption. People aren't likely to buy into the formats NOW
    for movies that are coming almost a year down the line. People are
    more likely to just wait until the movies they really want to watch
    are actually available to purchase.

    > http://www.digitalbits.com/#hdspin
    >
    > > If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    > > Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that) on Xbox
    > > Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    > > why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    > Uhhh, I wouldn't call the above titles anything near the upper tier of
    > Disney's animated films.

    101 Dalmations is one of Disney's most beloved classics.

    I believe they also had The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Pinnocchio, and a
    couple other more well-known Disney classics. They definitely had The
    Little Mermaid up there and I believe some of the crappy Lion King
    sequels. I think Aladdin was up at one point as well.

    > Is Fantasia or Sleeping Beauty among those titles?

    101 Dalmations is a lot more popular than Fantasia and Sleeping
    Beauty. Sleeping Beauty is the least popular of the "princess" movies.

    In any case, my point is that Disney hasn't even released what you
    consider lower-tier Disney classics to Blu-Ray. Most Disney classics
    are surefire hits that would bring a lot of people into the fold. The
    studios keep complaining about low consumer adoption and drastically
    reduced home video spending... releasing big movies is THE best way to
    get those numbers right back up.

    > No? Well, I can watch Fantasia on dvd as well as Sleeping Beauty and soon
    > on blu-ray for SB. And Cars and Ratatouille look pretty amazing on blu-ray.
    > How do those movies compare to the downloadable XBox versions?
    >
    > With any luck, you can soon pay to download old episodes of Gilligan's
    > Island for your wonderful XBox.
    >
    > T.B.

    I was wondering what your pretentious jackass confrontational attitude
    was all about. Do you really think my intent was to boast about the
    Xbox service or talk down on Blu-Ray?

    My intent was simply to question why Disney would have allowed HD
    versions (even lower quality HD versions) of their Disney classics to
    proliferate across Xbox Live Marketplace before they put them out on
    Blu-Ray...

    And why the studios keep complaining about people not adopting high-
    def fast enough while at the same time holding back their bigger
    franchises. The newsflash for the studios is that consumer "confusion"
    pales in comparison to "lack of movies people actually want to see" as
    a roadblock for fast adoption.

    Really... who needs to see The Breakup or Talladega Nights in high-
    def? Disney at least put out the Pirates trilogy on Blu-Ray, but what
    people really expect from Disney are movies like The Lion King, The
    Little Mermaid, Snow White, etc.
    The alMIGHTY N, Jan 8, 2008
  7. On Jan 7, 6:37 pm, Phisherman <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:28:49 -0800 (PST), The alMIGHTY N
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >I've been able to download high-definition versions of many of Walt
    > >Disney's animated classics on Xbox Live Marketplace. Granted, these
    > >are not 1080p (or even full bitrate 720p) versions but they're still
    > >high-definition and they're still watchable right now by anyone who
    > >owns an Xbox 360.

    > >It just seems strange that with an obvious need to attract more
    > >consumers to Blu-Ray, big studios like Disney, Fox and MGM have been
    > >so slow to release their big catalog tentpole franchises which would
    > >surely provide incentive for movie fans to make the transition to high-
    > >definition.

    > >If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    > >Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that) on Xbox
    > >Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    > >why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    > Well, I've waiting long enough for "Song of the South," and finally
    > bought an underground DVD at a flea market. I would gladly buy an
    > official Disney release, but they won't do it.

    I don't think Disney wants to open up *that* can of worms...
    The alMIGHTY N, Jan 8, 2008
  8. The alMIGHTY N

    GMAN Guest

    In article <h9wgj.3896$O97.3427@trndny01>, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >The alMIGHTY N wrote:
    >>
    >> If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    >> Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that)

    >(Trust me: You DO. A LOT more than the Aristocats or Oliver & Co...
    >I don't know what the Aladdin/Mermaid boys have got for directing movies
    >over all the others at the studio, but bottle it up send a case of it
    >over to Dreamworks, stat.)
    >
    >> on Xbox
    >> Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    >> why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    >Mostly, it's that they haven't been REMASTERED in HD yet--
    >Also, that little thing called the Vault, that SNL likes to joke
    >about...Now that every movie has already been released in SD over the
    >last seven years, they need an excuse for starting the sales cycle over
    >and event-selling them again, and, why, look! :)
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    Give me the Goddamn "Song of The South" in Hi Def Disney!!!!!!!
    GMAN, Jan 8, 2008
  9. The alMIGHTY N

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:28:49 -0800 (PST), The alMIGHTY N
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been able to download high-definition versions of many of Walt
    >>Disney's animated classics on Xbox Live Marketplace. Granted, these
    >>are not 1080p (or even full bitrate 720p) versions but they're still
    >>high-definition and they're still watchable right now by anyone who
    >>owns an Xbox 360.
    >>
    >>It just seems strange that with an obvious need to attract more
    >>consumers to Blu-Ray, big studios like Disney, Fox and MGM have been
    >>so slow to release their big catalog tentpole franchises which would
    >>surely provide incentive for movie fans to make the transition to high-
    >>definition.
    >>
    >>If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    >>Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that) on Xbox
    >>Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    >>why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    >Well, I've waiting long enough for "Song of the South," and finally
    >bought an underground DVD at a flea market. I would gladly buy an
    >official Disney release, but they won't do it.

    I'll be right in the line with you to buy that one. I too bought a pirated
    copy from ebay, but would love to have an original. If Gone with the Wind can
    be on DVD, why cant a movie like Song of The South?
    GMAN, Jan 8, 2008
  10. The alMIGHTY N

    Tarkus Guest

    The alMIGHTY N wrote:
    > In any case, my point is that Disney hasn't even released what you
    > consider lower-tier Disney classics to Blu-Ray. Most Disney classics
    > are surefire hits that would bring a lot of people into the fold. The
    > studios keep complaining about low consumer adoption and drastically
    > reduced home video spending... releasing big movies is THE best way to
    > get those numbers right back up.

    I'm not convinced. A great many people have bitched that they will not
    replace their current SD DVD library for one of the HD formats,
    especially with upconverting technology, so I think the strategy of
    releasing newer titles first was sound.

    IOW, people are more likely to buy a new format if they don't already
    have it on a format they consider acceptable. At least until they get
    hooked into the new format.
    Tarkus, Jan 8, 2008
  11. The alMIGHTY N wrote:

    > On Jan 7, 4:55 pm, "T.B." <> wrote:
    >
    >>"The alMIGHTY N" sez:
    >>

    >>>I've been able to download high-definition versions of many of Walt
    >>>Disney's animated classics on Xbox Live Marketplace. Granted, these
    >>>are not 1080p (or even full bitrate 720p) versions but they're still
    >>>high-definition and they're still watchable right now by anyone who
    >>>owns an Xbox 360.

    >>That's........... great. Most people who watch Disney movies however simply
    >>buy them at just about any store within walking distance of their homes and
    >>in often superior quality on regular old dvds. Or watch and record them off
    >>cable or satellite tv. Paying to download mediocre quality movies onto a
    >>over-expensive, poorly designed gaming console is a tiny fraction of the
    >>currently tiny niche market of HD-dvd/Blu-ray dvd.

    > The Disney animated classics available for download on Xbox Live
    > Marketplace are of much better quality than DVD. They're marked as HD
    > although Derek Janssen's observation that they may have not been truly
    > remastered for HD makes me question just how valid that marking can
    > be.

    Disney didn't even KNOW they'd be loyally supporting Blu-ray until '06,
    which leaves out just about everything before "Little Mermaid" was
    released...
    And that was near the *end* of the list--Time to start from scratch.

    > Instead, we get a lot of crap that most people don't even know is
    > Disney in the first place (the name Disney tends to bring up images of
    > deer, mice and princesses).

    (Especially when most of the jokes started during the Ron Miller
    70's--And doesn't help that "Enchanted" still beats the gags into the
    ground, since it started out as a mean-spirited "Shrek" wannabe...)

    > Sleeping Beauty and Finding Nemo aren't going to hit the shelves until
    > late 2008, about 2 1/2 years after Blu-Ray's introduction. Yes, I
    > remember that they were much slower with DVD, but Disney was on board
    > with Blu-Ray from the get go as opposed to their conflict with DVD
    > early on.
    >>
    >>>If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    >>>Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that) on Xbox
    >>>Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    >>>why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    >>Uhhh, I wouldn't call the above titles anything near the upper tier of
    >>Disney's animated films.

    (But Treasure Planet's still pretty darn good on video--
    If "Hercules" can find new second life with video audiences too young to
    remember the theater box office, it's proof that John Musker & Ron
    Clements's movies can not be killed by mortal man...) :)

    > 101 Dalmations is one of Disney's most beloved classics.
    >
    > I believe they also had The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Pinnocchio, and a
    > couple other more well-known Disney classics. They definitely had The
    > Little Mermaid up there and I believe some of the crappy Lion King
    > sequels. I think Aladdin was up at one point as well.

    There's twelve titles on the Platinum list, but you'll notice it's the
    widescreen movies (and the ones that were already re-detailed for IMAX)
    that have fast-passes to the head of the line...
    At least until studios know what to do with 4:3 movies--We'll see B&B
    and Lion King LONG before we ever see Snow White, even though Snow had
    seniority.

    >>Is Fantasia or Sleeping Beauty among those titles?

    > 101 Dalmations is a lot more popular than Fantasia and Sleeping
    > Beauty. Sleeping Beauty is the least popular of the "princess" movies.

    But, since its turn in cycle line is coming up again (and since they
    have the "Princess" marketing line to push), it's already been picked as
    their first Blu cel-animated movie...October/November, or thereabouts.

    (Fantasia '40&'00 are reportedly last in the original Platinum line, but
    no word yet.)

    >>No? Well, I can watch Fantasia on dvd as well as Sleeping Beauty and soon
    >>on blu-ray for SB. And Cars and Ratatouille look pretty amazing on blu-ray.
    >>How do those movies compare to the downloadable XBox versions?

    > My intent was simply to question why Disney would have allowed HD
    > versions (even lower quality HD versions) of their Disney classics to
    > proliferate across Xbox Live Marketplace before they put them out on
    > Blu-Ray...

    Maybe...XBoxLive...isn't *REAL* HD? 9_9
    (Like the grainy stuff that comes over the ABC Saturday Night Movie?)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 8, 2008
  12. GMAN wrote:

    > In article <>, wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:28:49 -0800 (PST), The alMIGHTY N
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've been able to download high-definition versions of many of Walt
    >>>Disney's animated classics on Xbox Live Marketplace. Granted, these
    >>>are not 1080p (or even full bitrate 720p) versions but they're still
    >>>high-definition and they're still watchable right now by anyone who
    >>>owns an Xbox 360.
    >>>
    >>>It just seems strange that with an obvious need to attract more
    >>>consumers to Blu-Ray, big studios like Disney, Fox and MGM have been
    >>>so slow to release their big catalog tentpole franchises which would
    >>>surely provide incentive for movie fans to make the transition to high-
    >>>definition.
    >>>
    >>>If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    >>>Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that) on Xbox
    >>>Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    >>>why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    >>Well, I've waiting long enough for "Song of the South," and finally
    >>bought an underground DVD at a flea market. I would gladly buy an
    >>official Disney release, but they won't do it.

    > I'll be right in the line with you to buy that one. I too bought a pirated
    > copy from ebay, but would love to have an original. If Gone with the Wind can
    > be on DVD, why cant a movie like Song of The South?

    Leaving aside the whole argument of Bob Iger finding out that wait, you
    mean Uncle Remus WASN'T a slave?-- 0_o??

    There's the little problem that they want to keep it as a "niche"
    collector's item for the Treasures tins, just in case:
    Not that they don't have any confidence in the movie for its audience by
    itself--But the fact that deep down, it's still an hour of live-action
    Bobby Driscoll, has given them ideas about what to do with that version
    of the equally 40's-static "So Dear to My Heart" that never did
    materialize seven years ago...BOX-set!! :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 8, 2008
  13. The alMIGHTY N

    Richard C. Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > In article <h9wgj.3896$O97.3427@trndny01>, Derek Janssen
    > <> wrote:
    >>The alMIGHTY N wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If I can watch The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmations, and
    >>> Treasure Planet (not that I would ever want to watch that)

    >>(Trust me: You DO. A LOT more than the Aristocats or Oliver & Co...
    >>I don't know what the Aladdin/Mermaid boys have got for directing movies
    >>over all the others at the studio, but bottle it up send a case of it
    >>over to Dreamworks, stat.)
    >>
    >>> on Xbox
    >>> Live Marketplace in HD (albeit more to the lower end of the spectrum),
    >>> why can't I watch those movies on Blu-Ray on my Playstation 3?

    >>Mostly, it's that they haven't been REMASTERED in HD yet--
    >>Also, that little thing called the Vault, that SNL likes to joke
    >>about...Now that every movie has already been released in SD over the
    >>last seven years, they need an excuse for starting the sales cycle over
    >>and event-selling them again, and, why, look! :)
    >>
    >>Derek Janssen
    >>

    > Give me the Goddamn "Song of The South" in Hi Def Disney!!!!!!!

    ===========================
    Just give it to us on STANDARD DVD!
    Treasures Box. Second disc with interviews with black americans.
    Let Jesse Jackson discuss it. Let Spike Lee discuss it. Let Bill Cosby
    discuss it.
    ===========================
    Richard C., Jan 8, 2008
  14. The alMIGHTY N

    T.B. Guest

    "The alMIGHTY N" sniveled:

    (snip)

    > I was wondering what your pretentious jackass confrontational attitude
    > was all about. Do you really think my intent was to boast about the
    > Xbox service or talk down on Blu-Ray?

    Nahhhh, you simply like to whine for the sake of whining, right?

    T.B.
    T.B., Jan 9, 2008