    and modulate the whole bandwidth essentially like baseband and be digital?

    Thanks in advance.

    D.H.
    David Halpern, Sep 5, 2004

  2. David Halpern

    none Guest

    In the case of DSL, using analog allows it to utilize the extra bandwidth on
    the existing analog voice line into homes without need for conversion of
    existing equipment or the need for additional equipment beyond a simple DSL
    modem with a filter(s) to keep the voice out of the DSL's bandwidth.

    none, Sep 6, 2004

  3. "none" <> wrote in message
    > In the case of DSL, using analog allows it to utilize the extra bandwidth
    > on
    > the existing analog voice line into homes without need for conversion of
    > existing equipment or the need for additional equipment beyond a simple
    > DSL
    > modem with a filter(s) to keep the voice out of the DSL's bandwidth.
    >

    > "David Halpern" <> wrote in message
    >> This is just something that intrigues me?
    >>
    >> Why wouldn't Broadband just be a digital signal
    >> and modulate the whole bandwidth essentially like baseband and be
    >> digital?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> D.H.

    All Broadband is not Analog though I would have to say?

    D.H.
    David Halpern, Sep 7, 2004
  4. David Halpern

    S. Gione Guest

    I was hesitant to post a reply, but you seem determined to get an answer.

    The reason I was hesitant is because the definition of "broadband" has
    become corrupted in recent years. Lots of references are made to broadband
    as (totally) digital. Originally, the term was used to refer to
    transmission of a "broad" range of frequencies through a single cable using
    RF (radio frequencies) ... cable TV still does this.

    Your original question was (as I interpreted the question) ... why not
    modulate the entire thing like baseband? The answer to that is that you
    would than only have one data stream going thru the pipe, utilizing all
    available frequencies as one ... a total waste of capacity. What broadband
    does is impress separate digital (on/off) signals on many multiple
    frequencies, permitting a very large number of discrete data streams to go
    thru that single pipe (each on a separate frequency).

    Hope this clarifies the issue for you.

    S. Gione, Sep 8, 2004
  5. David Halpern

    none Guest

    I would guess the Directway Satellite Internet signal is digital. Anyone
    know for sure?

    It's considered broadband.

    none, Sep 9, 2004
  6. David Halpern

    S. Gione Guest

    I would suspect that satellite transmission is also RF, which would involve
    an analog-to-digital conversion.

    S. Gione, Sep 9, 2004