    I do an online speed test, on the server and desktop I get around 1000kbps,
    on the laptop I get around 330kbps.

    Anyone know why its so much slower?
    Darren, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Darren

    Dumbkiwi Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:17:21 +1300, Darren wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just had ADSL installed, I have three computers here, one server
    > where the ADSL modem is plugged into, a desktop that receives the internet
    > from the server through a XH6824 802.11b wireless broadband router, (through
    > the wired part of it not the wireless) and a laptop that receives the
    > internet through the wireless part of the router.
    >
    > (I know I should have the ADSL modem plugged into the router but I cant seem
    > to get it to work, so I just have it plugged into the USB on the server) it
    > has both USB and ethernet on the modem.
    >
    > I do an online speed test, on the server and desktop I get around 1000kbps,
    > on the laptop I get around 330kbps.
    >
    > Anyone know why its so much slower?

    A couple of reasons:

    Depending on whether you're using 802.11b or g, you'll get a higher or
    lower speed. In addition, depending on signal strength at the laptop, the
    speed will degrade as the signal strength lessens.

    Matt
    Dumbkiwi, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Darren

    Impossible Guest

    Impossible, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Darren

    Steve Guest

    Dumbkiwi wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:17:21 +1300, Darren wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have just had ADSL installed, I have three computers here, one server
    >>where the ADSL modem is plugged into, a desktop that receives the internet
    >>from the server through a XH6824 802.11b wireless broadband router, (through
    >>the wired part of it not the wireless) and a laptop that receives the
    >>internet through the wireless part of the router.
    >>
    >>(I know I should have the ADSL modem plugged into the router but I cant seem
    >>to get it to work, so I just have it plugged into the USB on the server) it
    >>has both USB and ethernet on the modem.
    >>
    >>I do an online speed test, on the server and desktop I get around 1000kbps,
    >>on the laptop I get around 330kbps.
    >>
    >>Anyone know why its so much slower?

    > A couple of reasons:
    >
    > Depending on whether you're using 802.11b or g, you'll get a higher or
    > lower speed. In addition, depending on signal strength at the laptop, the
    > speed will degrade as the signal strength lessens.
    >
    > Matt

    also the link is encrypted, which requires cpu power and time.
    Steve, Feb 11, 2005
  5. Darren

    Impossible Guest

    "Darren" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just had ADSL installed, I have three computers here, one server
    > where the ADSL modem is plugged into, a desktop that receives the internet
    > from the server through a XH6824 802.11b wireless broadband router,
    > (through the wired part of it not the wireless) and a laptop that
    > receives the internet through the wireless part of the router.
    >
    > (I know I should have the ADSL modem plugged into the router but I cant
    > seem to get it to work, so I just have it plugged into the USB on the
    > server) it has both USB and ethernet on the modem.
    >
    > I do an online speed test, on the server and desktop I get around
    > 1000kbps, on the laptop I get around 330kbps.
    >
    > Anyone know why its so much slower?

    Because you don't have the router configured properly -- it's as simple as
    that. The ADSL modem should be connected directly to the wireless router,
    and all your machines should be set up to get their network signal from
    there. I'd suggest that you either get a friend to help you sort things out
    or else get all your component details together so that someone here can
    step you through the process.
    Impossible, Feb 11, 2005
  6. Darren

    Impossible Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Dumbkiwi wrote:
    >> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:17:21 +1300, Darren wrote:
    >>

    >>>Anyone know why its so much slower?

    >> A couple of reasons:
    >>
    >> Depending on whether you're using 802.11b or g, you'll get a higher or
    >> lower speed. In addition, depending on signal strength at the laptop,
    >> the
    >> speed will degrade as the signal strength lessens.

    Signal strength will not degrade by two-thrirds. He's only trying to pass
    1000kbps!

    >> Matt

    > also the link is encrypted, which requires cpu power and time.

    No.
    Impossible, Feb 11, 2005
  7. Darren

    EMB Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > also the link is encrypted, which requires cpu power and time.

    I doubt this would be a factor on anything but a *very* slow PC. I've
    just run a couple of download tests here. A high-spec wired PC, a
    P3-600 laptop on 802.11g and a P3-733 desktop on 802.11b all get 1985
    kbps to within 1%.

    Much more likely is the wireless link dropping speed due to a bad signal.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Feb 11, 2005
  8. Darren

    Steve Guest

    Impossible wrote:

    >>also the link is encrypted, which requires cpu power and time.

    > No.

    Yes.
    Steve, Feb 11, 2005
  9. Darren

    Darren Guest

    > Because you don't have the router configured properly -- it's as simple as
    > that. The ADSL modem should be connected directly to the wireless router,
    > and all your machines should be set up to get their network signal from
    > there. I'd suggest that you either get a friend to help you sort things
    > out or else get all your component details together so that someone here
    > can step you through the process.

    OK.... I have a XH6824 802.11b wireless broadband router, it has an onboard
    four port switch with a fifth port for WAN, the modem is D-Link 302G the
    free one that telecom gave me, it can do either USB or ethernet.

    When I plug the modem into the WAN port on the router I cant get them to
    talk to each other, the modems ip is 10.1.1.1 the router is 192.168.0.2 the
    manual says to have the two on different subnets.

    In the WAN setup of the router I have the ip to set automatically and obtain
    dns automatically, "Fixed ip: select this option if you have been assigned
    an ip address from your isp administrator"
    I haven't been assigned an ip from xtra

    Do I need to enable PPPoe or uPNP?

    Any help would be much appreciated
    Darren, Feb 11, 2005
  10. Darren

    Darren Guest

    >> Depending on whether you're using 802.11b or g, you'll get a higher or
    >> lower speed. In addition, depending on signal strength at the laptop,
    >> the
    >> speed will degrade as the signal strength lessens.
    >>
    >> Matt

    > also the link is encrypted, which requires cpu power and time.

    Its the same with encryption off.
    Darren, Feb 11, 2005
  11. Darren

    Impossible Guest

    "Darren" <> wrote in message

    >> Because you don't have the router configured properly -- it's as simple
    >> as
    >> that. The ADSL modem should be connected directly to the wireless router,
    >> and all your machines should be set up to get their network signal from
    >> there. I'd suggest that you either get a friend to help you sort things
    >> out or else get all your component details together so that someone here
    >> can step you through the process.

    > OK.... I have a XH6824 802.11b wireless broadband router, it has an
    > onboard four port switch with a fifth port for WAN, the modem is D-Link
    > 302G the free one that telecom gave me, it can do either USB or ethernet.
    >
    > When I plug the modem into the WAN port on the router I cant get them to
    > talk to each other, the modems ip is 10.1.1.1 the router is 192.168.0.2
    > the manual says to have the two on different subnets.
    >
    > In the WAN setup of the router I have the ip to set automatically and
    > obtain dns automatically, "Fixed ip: select this option if you have been
    > assigned an ip address from your isp administrator"
    > I haven't been assigned an ip from xtra
    >
    > Do I need to enable PPPoe or uPNP?
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated

    If you don't have this setup guide, you should get it:

    http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers/files/modems/DSL-302G.with.router.zip

    If you've worked your way through that step-by-step and you still have no
    connection, report back.
    Impossible, Feb 12, 2005
  12. Darren

    Impossible Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>>also the link is encrypted, which requires cpu power and time.

    >> No.
    >>

    > Yes.

    Sorry. let me clarify. That's no, silly. As in, not even close to an
    explanation for why a connection would be degraded by two-thirds.
    Impossible, Feb 12, 2005
  13. Darren

    Steve Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message

    >>>No.
    >>>

    >>Yes.

    > Sorry. let me clarify. That's no, silly. As in, not even close to an
    > explanation for why a connection would be degraded by two-thirds.

    Let me clarify with a different, but relevant example. 2 linux boxes,
    connnected through 100mbit lan. Round about 1GHz celerons. ftp transfer
    - 7MB/s. ssh transfer 1.2MB/s
    Steve, Feb 12, 2005
  14. Darren

    EMB Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Let me clarify with a different, but relevant example. 2 linux boxes,
    > connnected through 100mbit lan. Round about 1GHz celerons. ftp transfer
    > - 7MB/s. ssh transfer 1.2MB/s

    The OP was talking about thruput in range of 250 kBps on the wired lan
    setting so it's probably not relevant.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Feb 12, 2005
  15. Darren

    richms Guest

    Set the dse router to use DHCP on the WAN port, you need the internal
    network to be on a different subnet on every router I have seen, so
    haveing the dlink on the 10 range and the wireless router on the 192
    range makes sence.

    You most likly have an MTU issue, I would forget using the wireless
    router, and just disable DHCP on it and use it as a hub/wireless access
    point with the wan connection disconnected. NAT traversal will not work
    thru multiple NAT devices
    richms, Feb 12, 2005
  16. Darren

    Darren Guest

    > If you don't have this setup guide, you should get it:
    >
    > http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers/files/modems/DSL-302G.with.router.zip
    >
    > If you've worked your way through that step-by-step and you still have no
    > connection, report back.

    Ok have worked my way through that, but the router still cant see the modem,
    I try to ping the modem from dos all I get back is "host unreachable"
    Darren, Feb 12, 2005
  17. Darren

    Impossible Guest

    "Darren" <> wrote in message
    >> If you don't have this setup guide, you should get it:
    >>
    >> http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers/files/modems/DSL-302G.with.router.zip
    >>
    >> If you've worked your way through that step-by-step and you still have no
    >> connection, report back.

    > Ok have worked my way through that, but the router still cant see the
    > modem, I try to ping the modem from dos all I get back is "host
    > unreachable"

    At what step in the configuration process did your system fail? You would
    first want to be sure that you can establish a solid link (via ethernet)
    between the router and each of your machines and that each machine is
    configured then to access the router's web configuration page (for test
    purposes). If that's all good but you still have no interent connection,
    then it's down to the router's WAN configuration settings. I don't know
    anything about your XH6824 802.11b (brand?) -- but it shouldn't be that
    difficult. Have you checked with your ISP to confirm what you need in terms
    of static/dynamic ip, DNS, and so on?

    Sorry, but beyond this I'm not going to be much help in terms of remote
    troubleshooting. Hopefully others here can assist.
    Impossible, Feb 12, 2005