    you know after you first waste your time to make the call. Needless to say
    this scanner is going on Ebay, and my next scanner wont be Visioneer. HP
    hear I comes!

    Bobby Kratchet, Dec 27, 2005

  2. Bobby Kratchet

    John Guest

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:37:56 -0500, A strange species called "Bobby
    Kratchet" <> wrote:

    >I have Visioneer 7600usb scanner for probably 4 years now and it works fine.
    >I recently upgraded to WinXP from Win98 and come to find that visioneer
    >apears to not support this model with XP all though I did get it to
    >recognize my scanner but the paperport software wont even attempt to load
    >under XP. So I went to visioneers website, they say that this scanner wont
    >be supported under XP yet they then have a tech support number for you to
    >call for non XP device issues. The nimber they have for you to call is a
    >1-900 which I think is a bit sleazy for a tech support office. They dont
    >even say next to the number that there is a charge, I guess they will let
    >you know after you first waste your time to make the call. Needless to say
    >this scanner is going on Ebay, and my next scanner wont be Visioneer. HP
    >hear I comes!

    It seems like the scanner software you have was not designed for
    Windows XP and was probably manufactured a few years before the
    Windows XP OS came into existence. Not really the fault of Visioneer
    or Microsoft as the software does work with the OS it was designed to
    run under. It would be great though if all companies could make
    software that would run on future operating systems not yet invented,
    but they don't have the benefit of hindsight and it's not always
    possible to make things future proof and things computer related often
    become redundant and obsolete fairly quickly.

    Can you try using it with alternative software that is supported in
    Windows XP? I'd recommend asking in the group: comp.periphs.scanners

    We have an old cheap scanner with software that was made quite a
    number of years ago, and not designed for XP. The scanner was still
    recognised by XP even via the parallel cable, and I managed to get
    some software and drivers that works under XP for it.

    John

    John, Dec 27, 2005

  3. Bobby Kratchet

    Linnie Guest

    Bobby Kratchet wrote:

    > I have Visioneer 7600usb scanner for probably 4 years now and it works
    > fine.
    > I recently upgraded to WinXP from Win98 and come to find that visioneer
    > appears to not support this model with XP all though I did get it to
    > recognize my scanner but the paperport software wont even attempt to load
    > under XP. So I went to visioneers website, they say that this scanner
    > wont be supported under XP yet they then have a tech support number for
    > you to call for non XP device issues. The nimber they have for you to call
    > is a 1-900 which I think is a bit sleazy for a tech support office. They
    > dont
    > even say next to the number that there is a charge, I guess they will let
    > you know after you first waste your time to make the call. Needless to
    > say
    > this scanner is going on Ebay, and my next scanner wont be Visioneer. HP
    > hear I comes!

    Have you tried the method suggested by Visioneer to work around this.
    http://www.visioneer-europe.com/support/FAQ/15.htm

    Linnie, Dec 27, 2005
  4. Bobby Kratchet

    Plato Guest

    Bobby Kratchet wrote:

    > I have Visioneer 7600usb scanner for probably 4 years now and it works fine.
    > I recently upgraded to WinXP from Win98 and come to find that visioneer
    > apears to not support this model with XP all though I did get it to

    Next time check that your hardware is supported before you go for a new
    OS.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 27, 2005