Why I was voted best photographer on RedBubble

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nomen Nescio, Dec 4, 2008.

  1. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Nomen Nescio, Dec 4, 2008

  2. Nomen Nescio

    Guest

    Nomen Nescio wrote:

    >People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from lighting to angle and PP
    >Although most of my shots are straight from camera
    >
    >http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2164871-2-rippled-waters

    Christ on a bike; what a boring picture.
    People come to you for advice? They must be really shit.

    --
    Bob bobbly jimjoe bobby
    , Dec 4, 2008

  3. <> wrote in message
    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    >>People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from
    >>lighting to angle and PP
    >>Although most of my shots are straight from camera
    >>
    >>http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2164871-2-rippled-waters

    > Christ on a bike; what a boring picture.
    > People come to you for advice? They must be really shit.

    Seeing how he posted that here using 4 different anonymous accounts, I
    wonder how many times and how many socks he used to vote for that amazing
    image (amazingly boring)
    Doctor McAllister, Dec 4, 2008
  4. Nomen Nescio

    Bill Boyce Guest

    wrote:
    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    >> People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from lighting to angle and PP
    >> Although most of my shots are straight from camera
    >>
    >> http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2164871-2-rippled-waters

    > Christ on a bike; what a boring picture.
    > People come to you for advice? They must be really shit.

    Mean spirited remark. JPBill
    Bill Boyce, Dec 4, 2008
  5. Nomen Nescio

    Bill Boyce Guest

    Bill Boyce, Dec 4, 2008
  6. Nomen Nescio

    Bill Boyce Guest

    Bill Boyce, Dec 4, 2008
  7. Nomen Nescio

    Pete D Guest

    "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    > People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from
    > lighting to angle and PP
    > Although most of my shots are straight from camera
    >
    > http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2164871-2-rippled-waters

    You have got to be joking, if I got my horizons that far off I would go out
    the back and top myself.
    Pete D, Dec 4, 2008
  8. Nomen Nescio

    Bill Boyce Guest

    Russel wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:14:37 -0600, Bill Boyce <> wrote:
    >
    >> Russel wrote:

    >>> You have to understand why people give accolades to photographs and
    >>> photographers like this. Most of the people that go to photography sites live
    >>> sheltered lives; never seeing, knowing, nor enjoying the real world. They're
    >>> desperate for any glimpse into a reality beyond their sofas and kitchens.
    >>> They'll praise anything just as long as they get to see more for free again.
    >>>
    >>> Beginner's stock-photography. Composition practice, nothing more. One that will
    >>> be discarded from the stock-pile as soon as they start to find more talent.
    >>>

    >> Mean spirited remark JPBill

    > I'd rather hear an honest assessment than have someone erroneously pumping
    > sunshine up my ass. If all anyone gets is false-praise then when it comes to
    > having to compete in the real-world market they're left with delusions and
    > wondering why their photography really does suck. It must be due to the cameras
    > they are buying, now they have to buy a better one. (It's a poor craftsman that
    > blames his work on his tools.) One more "gosh wow" devoted to another hackneyed
    > x-mas tree, shoreline, cat, or sunset photo is going to make the world of
    > photography and art implode, hopefully taking all the related bourgeois with it.

    Somebody must have wounded your photo-ego terribly along the way for you
    to react so strongly to a photograph by someone else so roundly praised
    by several people.

    In a few lines you called their assessments disingenuous and false, that
    the photographer is delusional and will some day "wake-up" and reject
    his own pictures, that he'll rush out and buy another camera to "fix"
    himself, and only the bourgeois appreciate his subject, while you, a
    member of the self-anointed art intelligencia is bathed in the truth and
    the light.

    Your photo-ego is bruised alright by the success of others, but it is
    still functioning at a super-high level. JPBill
    Bill Boyce, Dec 4, 2008
  9. Nomen Nescio

    ^Tems^ Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "Nomen Nescio"<> wrote in message
    >> People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from
    >> lighting to angle and PP
    >> Although most of my shots are straight from camera
    >>
    >> http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2164871-2-rippled-waters
    >>

    > You have got to be joking, if I got my horizons that far off I would go out
    > the back and top myself.

    He did say people came to him for 'advise' on angle
    ^Tems^, Dec 5, 2008
  10. Nomen Nescio

    ^Tems^ Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 06:20:18 +1100, "Pete D"<> wrote:
    >
    >> "Nomen Nescio"<> wrote in message
    >>> People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from
    >>> lighting to angle and PP
    >>> Although most of my shots are straight from camera
    >>>
    >>> http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2164871-2-rippled-waters
    >>>

    >> You have got to be joking, if I got my horizons that far off I would go out
    >> the back and top myself.
    >>

    > It's not just the horizon, I find the thin line of water above the rock a bit
    > disturbing... also the rock going out to the center is a bit weird... that
    > violates the rule of thirds... It looks like 2 or 3 different photos here, he
    > should have picked only one... beach or rock or waves...

    I think he is picky on what is commented when i first looked before my
    last post there was a comment on there about google groups and the
    colour looked washed out. I just looked to see what you were talking
    about and the comment is gone. Not hard to make people think others love
    your work when you delete the critique.
    I think this one works better than the one posted above.
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2150692-2-where-land-meets-sea

    I love how he replies to every commenter, he must spend hours replying
    to every comment on his photos. Someone writes nice shot and he gives
    them a 3 line thank you.

    But he seems happy with what he does, I can't say anything bad I don't
    even own a camera (according to Dog)
    ^Tems^, Dec 5, 2008
  11. Nomen Nescio

    Pete D Guest

    "^Tems^" <> wrote in message
    > Pete D wrote:
    >> "Nomen Nescio"<> wrote in message
    >>> People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from
    >>> lighting to angle and PP
    >>> Although most of my shots are straight from camera
    >>>
    >>> http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2164871-2-rippled-waters
    >>>

    >> You have got to be joking, if I got my horizons that far off I would go
    >> out
    >> the back and top myself.
    >>

    > He did say people came to him for 'advise' on angle

    Good point.....
    Pete D, Dec 5, 2008
  12. Nomen Nescio

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 17:55:05 -0600, Bill Boyce <> wrote:
    : Russel wrote:
    : > On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:14:37 -0600, Bill Boyce <> wrote:
    : >
    : >> Russel wrote:
    : >>> On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 15:43:38 +0000, wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> Nomen Nescio wrote:
    : >>>>
    : >>>>> People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from lighting to angle and PP
    : >>>>> Although most of my shots are straight from camera
    : >>>>>
    :
    : Somebody must have wounded your photo-ego terribly along the way for you
    : to react so strongly to a photograph by someone else so roundly praised
    : by several people.
    :
    : In a few lines you called their assessments disingenuous and false, that
    : the photographer is delusional and will some day "wake-up" and reject
    : his own pictures, that he'll rush out and buy another camera to "fix"
    : himself, and only the bourgeois appreciate his subject, while you, a
    : member of the self-anointed art intelligencia is bathed in the truth and
    : the light.
    :
    : Your photo-ego is bruised alright by the success of others, but it is
    : still functioning at a super-high level. JPBill

    You forgot to post your credentials as a psychologist. After you do, we'll
    decide whether to take your analysis of Russel's "photo-ego" seriously or just
    pitch it in the bit bucket with the rest of the verbal sludge.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Dec 5, 2008
  13. Nomen Nescio

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 22:44:26 -0500, wrote:

    >On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 06:20:18 +1100, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    >>> People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from
    >>> lighting to angle and PP
    >>> Although most of my shots are straight from camera
    >>>
    >>> http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2164871-2-rippled-waters
    >>>

    >>You have got to be joking, if I got my horizons that far off I would go out
    >>the back and top myself.
    >>

    >It's not just the horizon, I find the thin line of water above the rock a bit
    >disturbing... also the rock going out to the center is a bit weird... that
    >violates the rule of thirds.

    *Violates* the rule of thirds? Are you saying that an image that does
    not conform to the rule of thirds is an unacceptable image?

    While it's call a "rule", it's really a guideline that *can* be used
    in the composition.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Dec 5, 2008
  14. Nomen Nescio

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Nomen Nescio <> wrote:
    >People come to me for advise for all things regarding anything from lighting to angle and PP

    Only in your fantasies.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Dec 5, 2008
  15. Nomen Nescio

    Bill Boyce Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
> [...]
    > : by several people.
    > :
    > : In a few lines you called their assessments disingenuous and false, that
    > : the photographer is delusional and will some day "wake-up" and reject
    > : his own pictures, that he'll rush out and buy another camera to "fix" 'LL
    > : himself, and only the bourgeois appreciate his subject, while you, a
    > : member of the self-anointed art intelligencia is bathed in the truth and
    > : the light.
    > :
    > : Your photo-ego is bruised alright by the success of others, but it is
    > : still functioning at a super-high level. JPBill
    >
    > You forgot to post your credentials as a psychologist. After you do, we'll
    > decide whether to take your analysis of Russel's "photo-ego" seriously or just
    > pitch it in the bit bucket with the rest of the verbal sludge.

    WE'LL decide?? I guess that means you and Russel? Looks like I scored a
    twofer with my remarks!

    You don't have to have a degree in psychology to recognize a bully or a
    jerk; take your pick of which fits better.

    The first line of his post said he liked "honest assessments" about
    himself. I guess that has limitations.

    JPBill
    Bill Boyce, Dec 5, 2008
  16. Nomen Nescio

    Bill Boyce Guest

    Russel wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 17:55:05 -0600, Bill Boyce <> wrote:
    >
    >> Russel wrote:

    >>> I'd rather hear an honest assessment than have someone erroneously pumping
    >>> sunshine up my ass. If all anyone gets is false-praise then when it comes to
    >>> having to compete in the real-world market they're left with delusions and
    >>> wondering why their photography really does suck. It must be due to the cameras
    >>> they are buying, now they have to buy a better one. (It's a poor craftsman that
    >>> blames his work on his tools.) One more "gosh wow" devoted to another hackneyed
    >>> x-mas tree, shoreline, cat, or sunset photo is going to make the world of
    >>> photography and art implode, hopefully taking all the related bourgeois with it.

    >> Somebody must have wounded your photo-ego terribly along the way for you
    >> to react so strongly to a photograph by someone else so roundly praised
    >> by several people.
    >>

    > Someone must be identifying with the above so strongly that they imagine all
    > sorts of things behind the words to get their mind off of the real
    > problem--their lack of talent and hearing some truth about it, finally.
    >
    >> In a few lines you called their assessments disingenuous and false, that
    >> the photographer is delusional and will some day "wake-up" and reject
    >> his own pictures, that he'll rush out and buy another camera to "fix"
    >> himself, and only the bourgeois appreciate his subject, while you, a
    >> member of the self-anointed art intelligencia is bathed in the truth and
    >> the light.
    >>
    >> Your photo-ego is bruised alright by the success of others, but it is
    >> still functioning at a super-high level. JPBill

    > In other words, the shoe fit so tight that you now have to squeal like a stuck
    > pig.
    >
    > The next time that you read something and identify with it so much, try to not
    > make public displays of your overwhelmed insecurity concerning what worries you
    > so. It only reveals your own doubts about your own talents, justifiably so.

    Sorry I hit a nerve, but you DID say you wanted "honest assessment",
    didn't you? Now you have mine on how you treated Nomen Nescio's post.
    Too honest for ya? JPBill
    Bill Boyce, Dec 5, 2008
  17. Nomen Nescio

    IvanSmith Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 08:52:36 -0600, George Kerby <>
    wrote:

    >On 12/4/08 11:10 PM, in article ,
    >"Russel" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 17:55:05 -0600, Bill Boyce <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Somebody must have wounded your photo-ego terribly along the way for you
    >>> to react so strongly to a photograph by someone else so roundly praised
    >>> by several people.
    >>>

    >> Someone must be identifying with the above so strongly that they imagine all
    >> sorts of things behind the words to get their mind off of the real
    >> problem--their lack of talent and hearing some truth about it, finally.
    >>
    >>> In a few lines you called their assessments disingenuous and false, that
    >>> the photographer is delusional and will some day "wake-up" and reject
    >>> his own pictures, that he'll rush out and buy another camera to "fix"
    >>> himself, and only the bourgeois appreciate his subject, while you, a
    >>> member of the self-anointed art intelligencia is bathed in the truth and
    >>> the light.
    >>>
    >>> Your photo-ego is bruised alright by the success of others, but it is
    >>> still functioning at a super-high level. JPBill

    >> In other words, the shoe fit so tight that you now have to squeal like a stuck
    >> pig.
    >>
    >> The next time that you read something and identify with it so much, try to not
    >> make public displays of your overwhelmed insecurity concerning what worries
    >> you
    >> so. It only reveals your own doubts about your own talents, justifiably so.
    >>

    >Oh my! Do we all need some Anger Management courses in here, or what?

    George Kerby appears to be someone that projects emotions into the words on his
    monitor--using inanimate objects for emotional-onanism. Interesting. I forget,
    what do they call someone that makes love to blow-up dolls, digital ones or
    otherwise.
    IvanSmith, Dec 5, 2008
  18. On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:12:27 -0600, Bill Boyce <> wrote:

    >Russel wrote:
    >> On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 17:55:05 -0600, Bill Boyce <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Someone must be identifying with the above so strongly that they imagine all
    >> sorts of things behind the words to get their mind off of the real
    >> problem--their lack of talent and hearing some truth about it, finally.
    >>
    >>> In a few lines you called their assessments disingenuous and false, that
    >>> the photographer is delusional and will some day "wake-up" and reject
    >>> his own pictures, that he'll rush out and buy another camera to "fix"
    >>> himself, and only the bourgeois appreciate his subject, while you, a
    >>> member of the self-anointed art intelligencia is bathed in the truth and
    >>> the light.
    >>>
    >>> Your photo-ego is bruised alright by the success of others, but it is
    >>> still functioning at a super-high level. JPBill

    >> In other words, the shoe fit so tight that you now have to squeal like a stuck
    >> pig.
    >>
    >> The next time that you read something and identify with it so much, try to not
    >> make public displays of your overwhelmed insecurity concerning what worries you
    >> so. It only reveals your own doubts about your own talents, justifiably so.
    >>

    >Sorry I hit a nerve, but you DID say you wanted "honest assessment",
    >didn't you? Now you have mine on how you treated Nomen Nescio's post.
    >Too honest for ya? JPBill

    Your "honest" assessment of some words on your screen was merely your own
    projection of your own failings in life. I fail to see how anyone would call
    that an "honest" assessment of another. An interesting glimpse into your own
    insecurities and psyche but I doubt anyone would call that "honest". It's not
    even being honest with yourself let alone another. Whereas someone was giving an
    honest assessment of the artistic virtues of a photograph as based on all
    photography that came before it, independent of whoever created it. You must
    have been the creator of that commonplace photograph to have taken this all so
    personally. It fits.
    Andres Alvedo, Dec 5, 2008
  19. Nomen Nescio

    Bill Boyce Guest

    Andres Alvedo wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:12:27 -0600, Bill Boyce <> wrote:
    >
    >> Russel wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 17:55:05 -0600, Bill Boyce <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Someone must be identifying with the above so strongly that they imagine all
    >>> sorts of things behind the words to get their mind off of the real
    >>> problem--their lack of talent and hearing some truth about it, finally.

    >>> In other words, the shoe fit so tight that you now have to squeal like a stuck
    >>> pig.
    >>>
    >>> The next time that you read something and identify with it so much, try to not
    >>> make public displays of your overwhelmed insecurity concerning what worries you
    >>> so. It only reveals your own doubts about your own talents, justifiably so.
    >>>

    >> Sorry I hit a nerve, but you DID say you wanted "honest assessment",
    >> didn't you? Now you have mine on how you treated Nomen Nescio's post.
    >> Too honest for ya? JPBill

    > Your "honest" assessment of some words on your screen was merely your own
    > projection of your own failings in life. I fail to see how anyone would call
    > that an "honest" assessment of another. An interesting glimpse into your own
    > insecurities and psyche but I doubt anyone would call that "honest". It's not
    > even being honest with yourself let alone another. Whereas someone was giving an
    > honest assessment of the artistic virtues of a photograph as based on all
    > photography that came before it, independent of whoever created it. You must
    > have been the creator of that commonplace photograph to have taken this all so
    > personally. It fits.

    > So you have ME as the creator of the photograph and/or taken the

    criticism of it? Au contraire, mon ami. Let me make it simple for you: I
    didn't take or post it and am not emotionally involved with it pro or
    con or even have an opinion to express on its merits or lack thereof.
    Mine is a different axe to grind.

    > In case anyone's interested, I don't have a big ego on the line with

    my photography; I just do my best and strive to improve. I'm 12 years
    retired from industry and keep my hand in photographically by taking
    pictures and being a correspondent for a weekly newspaper, circulation
    ax. 30,000. No Pulitzers in my past or future.

    > To me, a photograph EXISTS on its own merits or lack thereof. It just

    IS. Some people may connect with it emotionally and some will not, but
    it is not intrinsically "bad" or "good" photography. The only valid
    comments answer the question "How strongly do I relate to it emotionally.

    > If pressed for opinion of a photo, the most I would offer would be:

    "It would have 'worked' for me more if: (insert my experience or old
    photographic saw here). Examples: horizon not straight, law of thirds
    violated, highlights blocked, no detail in shadows, cropped too much or
    not enough, background distracting, lacks sharpness, viewpoint wrong,
    distracting man on the ledge, needs a man on the ledge, etc etc. At the
    same time people get praise for breaking "the rules", adding strength to
    the argument that emotion is what matters and that is the only validity.

    > The purpose of my posts was/is simple: Nomen Nescio (Anonymous) posts

    a little brag about one of his photographs being admired by others in
    his group. This was intolerable to some, and for his trouble, his photo,
    his grammar, and his photo skills in general get roundly trashed by some
    of the members of this group.

    > I don't like this behaviour and speak out against it and don't walk

    on by. I'm being "honest" in so doing, honest to my nature. There's a
    lot of abuse in this group. It is barnyard behaviour; hens like to peck
    on the new hen invading their territory. They "own" the barnyard, in
    their minds, and act accordingly.

    > Having a gazillion MB pixel camera or a lens that costs more than a

    good used car, or being able to hand-hold a 600mm lens doesn't allow
    someone to set photographic standards and ridicule others. Heck, it
    doesn't even guarantee making photographs people can relate to, does it?
    More importantly, it doesn't excuse uncivil behaviour to others, in my view.

    Bill Boyce, Dec 6, 2008
  20. Nomen Nescio

    ^Tems^ Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:56:47 +1100, ^Tems^<> wrote:
    >

    >> I think he is picky on what is commented when i first looked before my
    >> last post there was a comment on there about google groups and the
    >> colour looked washed out. I just looked to see what you were talking
    >> about and the comment is gone. Not hard to make people think others love
    >> your work when you delete the critique.
    >> I think this one works better than the one posted above.
    >> http://www.redbubble.com/people/reflector/art/2150692-2-where-land-meets-sea

    > yes I agree thats a better photo, but I would like more water at the top, less
    > rock... he calls it "Where land meets sea" so how about more sea? It looks like
    > Where sky meets land.
    >
    >> I love how he replies to every commenter, he must spend hours replying
    >> to every comment on his photos. Someone writes nice shot and he gives
    >> them a 3 line thank you.
    >>
    >> But he seems happy with what he does, I can't say anything bad I don't
    >> even own a camera (according to Dog)

    > Thats interesting... someone else claims to know what you own? Can he read your
    > mind? :)

    Douglas invented the internet he knows everything :)
    ^Tems^, Dec 6, 2008