    major in electrical engineering
    mechanized infantry reservist
    hordad AT otenet DOT gr
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Dec 15, 2008

  2. Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

    Pat Guest

    On Dec 15, 1:14 pm, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:
    > My romanian friend, jeni, 75 years old, bought a digital camera from Lidl,
    > not like my one, but a lesser, nut still good. I told her to buy an SD card,
    > which she did, 15 euros for a 1 GB Lexar card. She hardly ever believed that
    > she could take 1000 photos before the card would be full, and needed to come
    > to me to burn the contents on a dvd, and then format (or delete) the card
    > and starting afresh again. I even recharged for her the pair of NiMH
    > batteries that came with the camera. 15 euros would hardly suffice for
    > developing two 24 exp. films. , with many pictures of course being bad ones.

    My son is doing a report on former US President Gerald Ford. So for
    the first time in a long time I went into my basement archives and
    pulled out the contact sheets and negatives from when I photographed
    Ford back in the early 80s. I shot a fully manual camera with a
    pretty sophisticated flash -- for the time. It was a PR event so we
    shot a LOT of pictures. I went through something like 15 contact
    sheets with my son before I realized that there wasn't a single bad
    exposure in the set. Every one right on and consistent with all of
    the others. I was shocked.

    Switching away from film -- where every exposure counted -- and to a
    camera with automatic metering has led me to believe that the shear
    ease of exposures now is contributing to many, many more bad
    exposures. I am pretty certain that I have not went through 400 to
    500 exposures now without blowing an exposure.

    I don't know what it all means but I would attribute "bad ones" to
    shooting film.
    Pat, Dec 15, 2008

  3. Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:31:42 -0800 (PST), Pat
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >>My son is doing a report on former US President Gerald Ford. So for
    >>the first time in a long time I went into my basement archives and
    >>pulled out the contact sheets and negatives from when I photographed
    >>Ford back in the early 80s. I shot a fully manual camera with a
    >>pretty sophisticated flash -- for the time. It was a PR event so we
    >>shot a LOT of pictures. I went through something like 15 contact
    >>sheets with my son before I realized that there wasn't a single bad
    >>exposure in the set. Every one right on and consistent with all of
    >>the others. I was shocked.

    > And good, or you've forgotten that you culled them. When shooting film
    > semi-professionally I would typically cull 80%.
    >
    >>Switching away from film -- where every exposure counted -- and to a
    >>camera with automatic metering has led me to believe that the shear
    >>ease of exposures now is contributing to many, many more bad
    >>exposures. ...

    > Sure, but also many, many more good exposures -- there are now just more
    > to cull and more to save.
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas

    And, let's not forget that the "pretty sophisticated" flash system for the
    day was just starting to use light sensors to automatically set flash
    output, and the camera was probably a first generation auto-exposure camera.

    Of course, the justification for going with an innovative flash system and
    the auto-exposure, back then, was to reduce the number of bad prints due to
    quickly changing lighting conditions which photographers, especially
    journalists, couldn't manually adjust for quickly enough....

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Dec 15, 2008
  4. Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

    Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 15, 1:14 pm, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:

    >Switching away from film -- where every exposure counted -- and to a
    >camera with automatic metering has led me to believe that the shear
    >ease of exposures now is contributing to many, many more bad
    >exposures. I am pretty certain that I have not went through 400 to
    >500 exposures now without blowing an exposure.
    >
    >I don't know what it all means but I would attribute "bad ones" to
    >shooting film.

    It means the tools have changed and you have changed to take full
    advantage of the new tools.

    Of course I hope you delete all the bad ones as soon as possible.
    Just because you can take them cheaply and store them cheaply is no
    excuse for keeping your junk shots that you likely would not have even
    exposed back in the file days.

    All that old junk just gets in the way of the keepers and makes
    finding the right good image all that much more difficult.
    , Dec 16, 2008