Why I gave up on Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by History Fan, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    I have a PC running XP Home SP2 with a DSL connection. I've tried
    Firefox 1.00 thru 1.06, but eventually went back to IE 6 SP2. I will
    concede that Firefox is a fast, generally safe, extremely customizable
    browser, but for these reasons (many of them minor, I will admit), I went
    back to IE:

    1) I really love the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer. But the Firefox
    version causes some type of conflict with that browser's updating program.
    At least it does on my computer. The updating process gets to about 80%
    then stops. As soon as the FF Google Toolbar is removed, the updating
    problem is gone. The unofficial Googlebar is okay, but I prefer the
    real-deal.

    2) The Google Toolbar for FF does not have pop up blocking, since Firefox
    has it's own pop-up blocker. That bothers me a little because I haven't
    found the FF pop-up blocker to be as good as advertised. Whereas the Google
    Toolbar for IE does a more thorough job, IMO.

    3) Their numbers are shrinking, but I still occasionally come upon websites
    that do not load 100% properly or not at all with Firefox. This webcam of
    San Francisco only works with IE or Safari:
    http://cams.exploratorium.edu/CAM2/index.html I also like to watch the news
    videos at MSNBC, and they require IE.

    4) With IE, if I want to clean out the TIF and/or cookies, I merely
    right-click on the IE icon and select Properties. To do this with Firefox,
    I have to open up the program, which I find to be slower and more
    inconvenient.

    5) I prefer the appearance of IE 6 SP2. It looks more professional and
    smooth. FF has a IE "luna" skin, but the one I tried didn't completely
    replicate the IE 6 look.

    6) In order to view certain multimedia content with FF, I need to install
    Sun's Java program. With IE 6, I don't need to.

    7) When I use FF to open up Outlook Express, it is never maximized, for
    some reason. With IE, it is.

    7) With IE, if I want to email someone a website I'm visiting, I merely
    click the Mail icon on the toolbar and click "Send a Link." With FF, I have
    to click File, then Send a Link. Not a big deal, but I like having that
    option on my toolbar....it's something I've gotten used to.

    8) This last reason may seem the lamest, but it is something that I found
    to be a tad annoying. The Google Toolbar for IE and FF has a search field.
    You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
    displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With IE,
    when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
    very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the "News"
    button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
    field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people might
    find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
    the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
    search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.

    Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )
    History Fan, Sep 4, 2005

  2. History Fan

    Old Gringo Guest

    History Fan wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > 8) This last reason may seem the lamest, but it is something that I found
    > to be a tad annoying. The Google Toolbar for IE and FF has a search field.
    > You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
    > displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With IE,
    > when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
    > very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the "News"
    > button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
    > field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people might
    > find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
    > the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
    > search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.
    >
    > Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

    Sounds good to me, however your web cam link will work using the
    quick time plug in for FireFox. The Google toolbar is not required
    at all with FireFox as most of its features are built in to the
    browser already. As far as MSNBC I did away with them long time ago.
    :) Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Sep 4, 2005

  3. History Fan

    ar@x Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > I have a PC running XP Home SP2 with a DSL connection. I've
    > tried Firefox 1.00 thru 1.06, but eventually went back to IE 6 SP2.
    > I will concede that Firefox is a fast, generally safe, extremely
    > customizable browser, but for these reasons (many of them minor, I
    > will admit), I went back to IE:

    [blah...]

    > Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

    I tried to find a single bullet with which
    I could sympathise ('Yes! that bugs me too!')
    I couldn't, sorry.

    You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
    who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
    to the small variations of life.

    'Always view this page in IE' option in FF solves
    all my problems of 'IE only' web pages. As for the rest
    of your niggles....
    ar@x, Sep 4, 2005
  4. History Fan

    Old Gringo Guest

    ar@x wrote:
    > History Fan wrote:
    >
    >> I have a PC running XP Home SP2 with a DSL connection. I've
    >>tried Firefox 1.00 thru 1.06, but eventually went back to IE 6 SP2.
    >>I will concede that Firefox is a fast, generally safe, extremely
    >>customizable browser, but for these reasons (many of them minor, I
    >>will admit), I went back to IE:
    >>

    > [blah...]
    >
    >> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

    > I tried to find a single bullet with which
    > I could sympathise ('Yes! that bugs me too!')
    > I couldn't, sorry.
    >
    > You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
    > who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
    > to the small variations of life.
    >
    > 'Always view this page in IE' option in FF solves
    > all my problems of 'IE only' web pages. As for the rest
    > of your niggles....

    :)

    Old Gringo, Sep 4, 2005
  5. History Fan

    Guest

    > The Google toolbar is not required
    > at all with FireFox as most of its features are built in to the
    > browser already.

    Firefox has an image display, web form spell checker and AutoFill
    built in? If so, I never found them.
    , Sep 4, 2005
  6. History Fan

    Guest

    > You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
    > who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
    > to the small variations of life.

    The situation is hardly that dramatic. I just prefer IE over Firefox.
    Hopefully, IE's main drawback, poor security, will be at least
    partially addressed with the upcoming IE 7.
    , Sep 4, 2005
  7. History Fan

    Guest

    > Firefox has an image display, web form spell checker and AutoFill
    > built in? If so, I never found them.

    Just for clarity's sake, when I refer to the AutoFill feature, I'm
    talking about a button that will automatically type in your name, email
    address, home address and phone number at websites that require such
    data. AFAIK, that feature is not built into Firefox, although there is
    an extension you can download.
    , Sep 4, 2005
  8. History Fan

    ar@x Guest

    wrote:
    >> You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
    >> who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
    >> to the small variations of life.
    >>

    > The situation is hardly that dramatic. I just prefer IE over
    > Firefox. Hopefully, IE's main drawback, poor security, will be at
    > least partially addressed with the upcoming IE 7.

    'Hopefully' is the operative word here ;-) Good luck.
    ar@x, Sep 4, 2005
  9. History Fan

    VO Guest

    wrote:
    >> Firefox has an image display, web form spell checker and AutoFill
    >>built in? If so, I never found them.

    > Just for clarity's sake, when I refer to the AutoFill feature, I'm
    > talking about a button that will automatically type in your name, email
    > address, home address and phone number at websites that require such
    > data. AFAIK, that feature is not built into Firefox, although there is
    > an extension you can download.

    I don't know how I got it, but I have autofill in Firefox.
    VO, Sep 4, 2005
  10. History Fan

    The One Guest

    "History Fan" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    field.
    > You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
    > displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With

    IE,
    > when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
    > very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the

    "News"
    > button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
    > field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people

    might
    > find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
    > the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
    > search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.
    >
    > Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

    The only feature that has appealed to me while using FF is the ability to
    remember passwords and user names for websites. Apart from that FF is
    average and deserves 3/5.
    The One, Sep 4, 2005
  11. History Fan

    VO Guest

    ar@x wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>>You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
    >>>who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
    >>>to the small variations of life.
    >>>

    >>The situation is hardly that dramatic. I just prefer IE over
    >>Firefox. Hopefully, IE's main drawback, poor security, will be at
    >>least partially addressed with the upcoming IE 7.

    > 'Hopefully' is the operative word here ;-) Good luck.

    Hackers go after the most prevalent software.

    That is the reason why Apple has few hacking problems.
    VO, Sep 4, 2005
  12. History Fan

    Stubby Guest

    wrote:
    >> Firefox has an image display, web form spell checker and AutoFill
    >>built in? If so, I never found them.

    > Just for clarity's sake, when I refer to the AutoFill feature, I'm
    > talking about a button that will automatically type in your name, email
    > address, home address and phone number at websites that require such
    > data. AFAIK, that feature is not built into Firefox, although there is
    > an extension you can download.

    Tools>Options>Privacy>Saved passwords ...
    Stubby, Sep 4, 2005
  13. History Fan

    Simian Dyson Guest

> [...]

    field.
    > You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
    > displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With

    IE,
    > when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
    > very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the

    "News"
    > button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
    > field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people

    might
    > find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
    > the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
    > search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.
    >
    > Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

    I agree with your complaint about not beign able to email a link from
    withing FF, but I am hoping some enterprising soul will write an extension
    for this. If you want the other convienences of IE by like faster, tabbed
    browsing, use Avant. While it piggybacks on IE's settings, it still is
    faster an you have many advantages IE can't do.
    Simian Dyson, Sep 4, 2005
  14. History Fan

    Andy Guest

    wrote:

    >>You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
    >>who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
    >>to the small variations of life.
    >>

    > The situation is hardly that dramatic. I just prefer IE over Firefox.
    > Hopefully, IE's main drawback, poor security, will be at least
    > partially addressed with the upcoming IE 7.

    But IE7 will only be for those with Win XP or higher. What about all
    those with other Win OSs lower than XP?

    Andy
    --
    to contact me, remove the NO-TINNED-MEAT

    The end is near. My life here is almost over. I only have a few days
    left then I'll be gone. I’ve posted the rest of my Fun With
    Telemarketers here:
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/df7dcm$
    Andy, Sep 4, 2005
  15. History Fan

    Andy Guest

    Simian Dyson wrote:
> [...]

    >>very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the

    > "News"
    >
    >>button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
    >>field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people

    > might
    >
    >>find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
    >>the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
    >>search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.
    >>
    >> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )
    >>

    > I agree with your complaint about not beign able to email a link from
    > withing FF, but I am hoping some enterprising soul will write an extension
    > for this. If you want the other convienences of IE by like faster, tabbed
    > browsing, use Avant. While it piggybacks on IE's settings, it still is
    > faster an you have many advantages IE can't do.

    but Avant is just IE in disguise. You'll still be at risk to all the
    IE security risks.

    Andy

    Andy, Sep 4, 2005
  16. History Fan

    Old Gringo Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
    >>> who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
    >>> to the small variations of life.
    >>>

    >> The situation is hardly that dramatic. I just prefer IE over Firefox.
    >> Hopefully, IE's main drawback, poor security, will be at least
    >> partially addressed with the upcoming IE 7.
    >>

    > But IE7 will only be for those with Win XP or higher. What about all
    > those with other Win OSs lower than XP?
    >
    > Andy

    And me sitting back here with Win98se :) however with just a little
    ingenuity, FireFox being an open source browser it can be made to do
    anything you want it to, but I guess he forgot that.?

    Old Gringo, Sep 4, 2005
  17. History Fan

    Guest

    > But IE7 will only be for those with Win XP or higher. What about all
    > those with other Win OSs lower than XP?

    Microsoft probably hopes it will encourage more people to upgrade to
    Windows XP. But I suspect it will only increase Firefox's market share.
    , Sep 4, 2005
  18. History Fan

    zap Guest

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 17:56:28 +0100, "The One" <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With

    >IE,
    >> when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
    >> very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the

    >"News"
    >> button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
    >> field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people

    >might
    >> find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
    >> the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
    >> search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.
    >>
    >> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )
    >>

    >The only feature that has appealed to me while using FF is the ability to
    >remember passwords and user names for websites. Apart from that FF is

    Are you kidding me??? The most valued feature to many(most) users is
    the "Tabbed" Browsing feature....Of which MS's next release plans to
    include as well. (Hmmm....go figure !!)

    Most negative comments about FF are in fact from those who either,
    1) hate change
    2) cant adabt to change
    3) refuse to accept change

    Get over it whiners.....
    zap, Sep 4, 2005
  19. History Fan

    VO Guest

    wrote:
    >>But IE7 will only be for those with Win XP or higher. What about all
    >>those with other Win OSs lower than XP?
    >>

    > Microsoft probably hopes it will encourage more people to upgrade to
    > Windows XP. But I suspect it will only increase Firefox's market share.

    Yeh, sure, MS should go back to DOS.

    The newest OS will be 64bit and within a couple years older computers
    wont be able to run new software of any kind.
    VO, Sep 4, 2005
  20. History Fan

    John Guest

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 08:57:33 -0400, "History Fan" <>
    wrote:

    > I have a PC running XP Home SP2 with a DSL connection. I've tried
    >Firefox 1.00 thru 1.06, but eventually went back to IE 6 SP2. I will
    >concede that Firefox is a fast, generally safe, extremely customizable
    >browser, but for these reasons (many of them minor, I will admit), I went
    >back to IE:

    <<<Eight reasons not repeated in the interest of saving bandwidth>>>

    > Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

    Dear History Fan:

    Why would I be angry? Why should I care whether or not you like Firefox?
    I wouldn't care if you like to communicate using smoke signals, or two tin cans
    on a string.

    I guess what I am curious about is why you would want to waste your time and
    mine, and a waste a whole batch of bandwidth, just to tell me why you don't like
    Firefox.

    BTW - if you have half an hour or so, I'll tell you why I don't like tomatoes.
    Ask me about it.

    Cheers!

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    John, Sep 4, 2005