Why I can't leave Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 18, 2010.

  1. God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't. I can't because Linux can't
    make me totally happy. Why?

    Drivers:
    Many distro's, such as Ubuntu do have good "out of the box" support but
    driver support still lags behind nevertheless. I do not want to spend
    time searching for drivers and then typing in tons of commands to get
    things up and running properly. Sure you can go buy specific hardware
    that is known to be Linux compatible but isn't that like having to live
    with a MAC??!??!!???!!

    Packages:
    Every distro has a package manager. However I cannot keep count of the
    number of times I have installed a package that does not work. Then when
    I go and search in the forums, I get answers telling me "download this"
    and "type these commands". Wait a minute! Shouldn't it just work without
    all the run around???? Does anyone realize how annoying and confusing
    that is for users? To them it looks like an easy way to install new
    software but then they get a nasty surprise. Folks the average user
    hates that.

    Command Terminal:
    Look it's 2009. The public doesn't want to type in commands. GUI's have
    been around for how long? It's obvious by the success of Windows that
    users want an easier experience. However in Linux you just can't get
    many things done without typing in commands. It's time consuming. Users
    want to use their software and do things, not spend time typing
    commands. Users need something easier and intuitive. If you don't want
    to give up the need for a terminal fine but don't complain when the
    public still prefers Windows and it's easy GUI that does nearly
    everything by point and click. If Windows is so bad why is it so
    popular? If what makes it so popular is something you do not want to
    offer then all the complaining and comparing is pointless. At that point
    you might as well just accept that you're never going to be more popular
    than Windows, shut your mouth, and play with your Linux quietly.

    Support:
    There are many forums. Some of them are good. Some of them are full of
    arrogant jerks that just hate Windows and turn off nearly every new
    Linux user they run into. Regardless, as a new Linux user you spend more
    time in a forum begging for help than you do actually enjoying Linux.
    PLUS! If you have a serious problem that keeps you from getting on the
    Internet.....how do you get to the forums? Take a guess...using another
    system. Isn't it embarrassing to need to use a Windows system to go onto
    a forum to get Linux help? Doesn't that make a statement about Linux?

    Software:
    There are some great packages that shine. However the vast majority is
    of the same quality as shareware for Windows. I understand that it's
    free and I shouldn't complain but look it either fills a need or it
    doesn't. I'm not going to use something crappy just because it's free.

    Linux fails miserably for 3D gaming. I've said it a thousand times and
    I'll say it again. If Linux could get a standardized 3D system like
    DirectX and attract gamerz, it's popularity would skyrocket. There are a
    few 3D games out there but most of them are hacked ports to Linux that
    are full of bugs, not to mention that the games are old news. Even if a
    user is not a big gamer, they still will play a game every once in
    awhile, and they want something that blows their mind. Linux doesn't
    offer that.

    Standardization:
    Microsoft has Linux beat hands down in this area. There are so many
    Linux distros and each of them are doing their own thing. Linux software
    is a hodgepodge of different packages that may or may not work with your
    distro. Windows users hate the fact that there are a handful of Windows
    versions that require different drivers. Do you honestly think that
    they're going to like something with even more variations? There is a
    point when too much freedom becomes chaos. Linux is chaos.

    File System and Naming:
    In DOS and Windows, file extensions indicate a purpose. In Linux
    anything goes. People need some kind of clearly defined order to lead
    them in the right direction. Furthermore it saves time to immediately
    recognize a file for what it is or how it's used.

    Also some of the names given to software and commands are well.....nuts.
    It's looks like someone dropped scrabble blocks on the floor and
    randomly selected letters to name things. Overall we come back to the
    chaos issue.

    Excuses:
    I'm pretty fed up with the excuses. I'm often told stuff like "Linux
    isn't meant for that" or "Linux isn't trying to be Windows". Own up to
    the truth. Linux has serious problems. While it may not be trying to be
    100% like Windows, to the eye, it has the same general appearance and
    there is an OBVIOUS reason for that - users want it. So stop covering up
    the problems and making excuses when things fail. Linux wants to be
    better than Windows. It wants to be the more popular OS. It wants to
    offer all the features that Windows offers.

    Until Linux developers and supporters stop hating Windows enough to get
    inside the heads of Windows users, Linux will NEVER beat Windows.
    Consumers use what they like. OBVIOUSLY they like Windows more, no
    matter what excuses are offered. Why in the world would users turn down
    a free OS for a commercial one unless there are big things they don't
    like? Stop trying to tell consumers why they should hate Windows.
    Instead concentrate on making Linux something that consumers really
    want. Not what you think they should want.

    The fact is that most computer users are novices. You must cater that
    crowd to be successful at overtaking Windows. There is no honor in being
    able to use a more complex operating system. Nobody is impressed. Nobody
    cares. An operating system should make things easier NOT harder. If
    Linux dev's would face the truth and cater to the needs of the public
    they might be more successful.

    Here's the killer for Linux and if dev's and hardcore fans could wipe
    the hatred away from heir eyes long enough to see it, they would. At the
    current rate of development, Windows is better equipped to steal ideas
    from Linux and put it into an easy to use package. Linux, on the other
    hand cannot develop quickly enough. Unless dev's band together,
    standardize, and get serious about winning over the public, Linux may
    never catch up.

    I know some Linux fan is going to say something about how wrong I am but
    that type of response is at the heart of the problem. You can't tell a
    consumer how they should feel or how they should perceive a product. You
    must adapt to the consumer. If the consumer doesn't like what you have,
    then YOU are wrong and you will never convince them otherwise.

    http://www.whylinuxsucks.org/why-i-just-can039t-leave-windows
    --
    All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
    into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 18, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:51:47 -0600, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:

    > God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't. I can't because Linux can't
    > make me totally happy.<SNIP>




    Troll-O-Meter

    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    ___________________________________________________
    | | | | | | | | | | |
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ^
    |




    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he poured grease onto the interstate.
    Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
    Thanks, Obama: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/politica/thanks.jpg
    Dan C, Dec 18, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 18 Dec 2010 05:04:55 GMT, Dan C <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:51:47 -0600, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:
    >
    >> God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't. I can't because Linux can't
    >> make me totally happy.<SNIP>

    >
    >
    >
    > Troll-O-Meter
    >
    > 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    > ___________________________________________________
    > | | | | | | | | | | |
    > ---------------------------------------------------
    > ^
    > |


    That's it? A troll O' meter? Any constructive commentary always sends
    Linux adherents into defense mode.

    That's fine. Millions have tried Linux and just can't make it work for
    them. But, don't worry, that is the fault of the dummies who just don't
    understand the various distro's, not Linux.

    And you guys wonder why only about 1.8 percent of computer users
    worldwide use Linux.

    It's because they are all stupid, no other reason.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 18, 2010
    #3
  4. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Parko Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 23:14:09 -0600, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:

    <snippped> Output sent to /dev/nul, where it belongs.
    --
    Oh, bugger!
    Parko, Dec 18, 2010
    #4
  5. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    MyNews Guest

    MyNews, Dec 18, 2010
    #5
  6. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Mike Easter Guest

    CAD wrote:
    > God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't.


    Why do you need to or why would you 'love to' drop windows?

    > I can't because Linux can't make me totally happy.


    Why would anything make you totally happy?

    > Drivers:


    Rarely a problem.

    > Packages:


    Linux package management is distinctly different than windows especially
    as it relates to program installation.

    Ideally one would be able to use available and trusted repositories, in
    which case the linux system is far superior to the risks and problems of
    the windows system.

    > Command Terminal:


    The very powerful command terminal system in linux is far superior to
    the weak-kneed system that windows has tried to use for years.

    When windows needs things managed 'by hand' it is much more harum scarum
    than linux -- mostly linux can be managed by graphical tools.

    > Support:


    There are strong and weak support for both windows and linux.

    > Software:


    There is plenty of software for both linux and windows, and plenty of
    ways to use both - ranging from dual booting to dual machines on KVM
    (the way I do it) to emulation to virtual machines.

    > Linux fails miserably for 3D gaming.


    I have no idea about gaming.

    > Standardization:


    MS wishes that everything made were MS's. No thanks.

    > File System and Naming:


    Linux has superior file systems.

    You should stay with windows.

    Most people can use either or both.


    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 18, 2010
    #6
  7. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-12-18, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:
    > God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't. I can't because Linux can't
    > make me totally happy. Why?
    >
    > Drivers:
    > Many distro's, such as Ubuntu do have good "out of the box" support but
    > driver support still lags behind nevertheless. I do not want to spend
    > time searching for drivers and then typing in tons of commands to get
    > things up and running properly. Sure you can go buy specific hardware
    > that is known to be Linux compatible but isn't that like having to live
    > with a MAC??!??!!???!!


    But people who build computers with the intention of running Windows on
    them, choose hardware that is known to work with Windows; isn't that "like
    having to live with a MAC" too? If you're taking a machine designed to
    work with Windows and installing some other operating system on it, then
    it's inevitable that there will be some problems.

    > Packages:
    > Every distro has a package manager. However I cannot keep count of the
    > number of times I have installed a package that does not work. Then when
    > I go and search in the forums, I get answers telling me "download this"
    > and "type these commands". Wait a minute! Shouldn't it just work without
    > all the run around???? Does anyone realize how annoying and confusing
    > that is for users? To them it looks like an easy way to install new
    > software but then they get a nasty surprise. Folks the average user
    > hates that.


    No-one ever had difficulties installing anything on a Windows system?
    Then why are there support forums and shelves full of books and magazines
    all about getting Windows to work?

    > Command Terminal:
    > Look it's 2009. The public doesn't want to type in commands. GUI's have
    > been around for how long? It's obvious by the success of Windows that
    > users want an easier experience. However in Linux you just can't get
    > many things done without typing in commands. It's time consuming. Users
    > want to use their software and do things, not spend time typing
    > commands. Users need something easier and intuitive. If you don't want
    > to give up the need for a terminal fine but don't complain when the
    > public still prefers Windows and it's easy GUI that does nearly
    > everything by point and click.


    Windows has a 'command-line console' too. Some people like to use it,
    some people don't even know it's there. Just like a modern Linux dektop
    distro in fact (except that the Linux console is far more powerful of
    course).

    > If Windows is so bad why is it so
    > popular? If what makes it so popular is something you do not want to
    > offer then all the complaining and comparing is pointless. At that point
    > you might as well just accept that you're never going to be more popular
    > than Windows, shut your mouth, and play with your Linux quietly.


    Windows isn't popular; it's wide-spread, but so is the common cold.

    If Windows is so good, why does anyone ever think of trying anything else?
    Indeed, why can you write "God, I'd love to drop Windows" at the start of
    your rant?

    [...]

    > Excuses:
    > I'm pretty fed up with the excuses. I'm often told stuff like "Linux
    > isn't meant for that" or "Linux isn't trying to be Windows". Own up to
    > the truth. Linux has serious problems. While it may not be trying to be
    > 100% like Windows, to the eye, it has the same general appearance and
    > there is an OBVIOUS reason for that - users want it. So stop covering up
    > the problems and making excuses when things fail. Linux wants to be
    > better than Windows. It wants to be the more popular OS. It wants to
    > offer all the features that Windows offers.


    [...]

    > I know some Linux fan is going to say something about how wrong I am but
    > that type of response is at the heart of the problem. You can't tell a
    > consumer how they should feel or how they should perceive a product. You
    > must adapt to the consumer. If the consumer doesn't like what you have,
    > then YOU are wrong and you will never convince them otherwise.


    [...]

    You don't like Windows (see the first words in your own post). You like
    it so badly that you want to use something else instead. You've tried one
    or a few Linux distros (but not with the same dedication and duration of
    effort you clearly give to Windows) and none of them have lived up to your
    wishes. Is that any reason to waste time and effort in pointless rants
    that no-one is ever going to take seriously? Why not have a go at making
    Linux into something that does satisfy you? At least the FOSS and GNU
    philosophies make that possible - and you might even find yourself being
    thanked and praised by other people who've been looking for whatever it is
    you end up producing.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
    Whiskers, Dec 18, 2010
    #7
  8. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Jordon Guest

    MyNews wrote:

    > Not all Linux the same is the love window just like you!


    WTF??
    Jordon, Dec 20, 2010
    #8
  9. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    MyNews Guest

    Did you go to the Link
    or you love the way I say it!

    So I Put it this way for you!

    Not all Linux the same!
    Is the love window?
    Just like you!

    Go to http://www.xandros.com/products/home/home_edition.html and see for
    your self!


    "Jordon" <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    news:ieo5su$umm$-september.org...
    > MyNews wrote:
    >
    >> Not all Linux the same is the love window just like you!

    >
    > WTF??


    --
    http://mynews.ath.cx
    MyNews, Dec 20, 2010
    #9
  10. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Jordon Guest

    MyNews wrote:

    > Not all Linux the same!
    > Is the love window?
    > Just like you!


    When you put it that way...

    it's still baffling.
    Jordon, Dec 20, 2010
    #10
  11. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    MyNews Guest

    Maybe it time for you to get a New web bots Chatter to read for you or and
    New Text Reader!
    Here a good one for you!
    http://www.verbots.com/

    But you the one with the Old Sourdough bugs in the code!

    --
    http://mynews.ath.cx
    MyNews, Dec 20, 2010
    #11
  12. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    MyNews Guest

    MyNews, Dec 21, 2010
    #12
  13. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    MyNews Guest

    http://mynews.ath.cx/doc/juge-robot.mp3

    "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > MyNews mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> Maybe it time for you to get a New web bots Chatter to read for you or
    >> and
    >> New Text Reader!
    >> Here a good one for you!
    >> http://www.verbots.com/

    >
    >> But you the one with the Old Sourdough bugs in the code!

    >
    > I rest my case!
    >
    > --
    > The Old Sourdough
    > 99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
    > fix one bug, compile it again...
    > 101 little bugs in the code....


    --
    http://mynews.ath.cx
    MyNews, Dec 21, 2010
    #13
  14. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:59:28 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:37:43 -0600, "MyNews" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Did you go to the Link
    >>or you love the way I say it!
    >>
    >>So I Put it this way for you!
    >>
    >>Not all Linux the same!
    >>Is the love window?
    >>Just like you!

    >
    > Why can't a collect mirror explode my exercise? The foam fishes in a
    > spread overhead. Does the radical antique the slight throughput?


    LOL. Where did you get the English-floffy/Hot-text word generator? I want
    one!



    --
    Aardvark, Dec 21, 2010
    #14
  15. Evan Platt wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> LOL. Where did you get the English-floffy/Hot-text word generator? I
    >> want one!

    >
    > http://watchout4snakes.com/creativitytools/RandomSentence/RandomSentence.aspx
    > :-D


    Cute!

    A policeman cuts the baroque bulb. A dirt economics integrates a spotted
    grammar. The restrictive promise aligns floffy past a destructive
    staircase. Hot-text dices the editor past a cultural intimate. The skin
    leaps inside the going circumstance. Hot-text weds floffy.

    --
    -bts
    -This poast is valid through December 21, 2012
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 21, 2010
    #15
  16. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    MyNews Guest

    If you all Know Oklahoma English you all would not need a generator at all!
    For the Light would always be On!
    Ford. have a better ideal to lick!
    But here info for you the Ford light bud get Verger hot!

    http://mynews.ath.cx/doc/ford.mp3
    MyNews, Dec 21, 2010
    #16
  17. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    MyNews Guest

    Evan Platt

    Sie sagen alle Weg mein Englisch nicht gut
    Aber ich eine Oklahoman, mein Englisch nicht das gleiche wie ein Texaner
    hier in den USA wir alle nicht gleichen Englisch Staat durch staatliche
    Speck
    für wir alle tun, die sind die einige Englisch speck
    Alle deutschen die gleichen Deutsch als die, die hier in den USA speck
    Ich danke nicht,

    Ihre
    MyNews
    MyNews, Dec 21, 2010
    #17
  18. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 20:29:49 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 04:27:26 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>LOL. Where did you get the English-floffy/Hot-text word generator? I
    >>want one!

    >
    > http://watchout4snakes.com/creativitytools/RandomSentence/

    RandomSentence.aspx
    > :-D


    Bookmarked. Cheers.

    :)



    --
    Aardvark, Dec 21, 2010
    #18
  19. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:46:52 -0600, MyNews wrote:

    > If you all Know Oklahoma English you all would not need a generator at
    > all! For the Light would always be On!
    > Ford. have a better ideal to lick!
    > But here info for you the Ford light bud get Verger hot!
    >
    > http://mynews.ath.cx/doc/ford.mp3



    As my dear departed dad always used to tell me when I was a boy,
    can the dense word fork a populace? A logic disposes of a sniff.The
    detailed burst watches a precise trifle.

    You'd do well to remember that.

    --
    Aardvark, Dec 21, 2010
    #19
  20. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Jordon Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 01:23:20 -0600, "MyNews"<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Evan Platt
    >>
    >> Sie sagen alle Weg mein Englisch nicht gut
    >> Aber ich eine Oklahoman, mein Englisch nicht das gleiche wie ein Texaner
    >> hier in den USA wir alle nicht gleichen Englisch Staat durch staatliche
    >> Speck
    >> für wir alle tun, die sind die einige Englisch speck
    >> Alle deutschen die gleichen Deutsch als die, die hier in den USA speck
    >> Ich danke nicht,

    >
    > Babelfish says:
    >
    > They do not say all way my English well But I a Oklahoman, my English
    > not same as a Texaner here all not English state by national bacon,
    > same in the USA we for we all do, those are some English bacon
    > Everything German the same German as those, those in the USA bacon I
    > does not thank here,


    It sounds the same through translation.
    Jordon, Dec 21, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. RPS

    Why do they always leave out one feature?!

    RPS, Aug 16, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    756
    Nushar
    Aug 22, 2007
  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Why people don't leave Xtra

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 3, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    42
    Views:
    1,586
    Gordon
    Feb 5, 2009
  3. Steve
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    1,197
    Buddy P
    Dec 7, 2008
  4. richard

    why do I leave a thread?

    richard, Aug 17, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    444
    DevilsPGD
    Aug 18, 2009
  5. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Why I can't leave Windows

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 18, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    476
    Meat Plow
    Dec 21, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page