Why I am Dumping Firefox

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by William Brown, Apr 26, 2011.

  1. William Brown, Apr 26, 2011

  2. William Brown

    Donchano Guest

    Donchano, Apr 26, 2011

  3. William Brown

    victor Guest

    victor, Apr 26, 2011
  4. William Brown

    Boots Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:43:23 +1200, William Brown wrote:

    > http://computingondemand.com/why-i-am-dumping-firefox
    >

    > As I thought its Total crap.

    Hi Woger,

    That is not an objective empirical test that measures memory usage
    without any instance of the browsers running (or any systems used by the
    browsers). It is most unlikely that MSIE is accurately reporting total
    memory usage to deliver those web pages.

    I very much doubt that she didn't have a flash plug-in installed - dumb
    bimbos such as her don't consider Macromedia Flash to be an extension of
    the browser (of course technically it's a plug-in not an extension).

    Next time you might care to post articles that are actually worth reading
    due to their objectivity and empirical rigor.

    Boots, Apr 26, 2011
  5. I caught a glimpse of William Brown <> on Tue, 26 Apr
    2011 19:43:23 +1200, writing in nz.comp:

    >http://computingondemand.com/why-i-am-dumping-firefox
    >

    >As I thought its Total crap.

    I clicked on the above link and had a look.

    I have Firefox installed but only use it to test sites that other
    browsers had failed to open.

    I use Opera and K-Meleon for web pages that can't display Opera. I have
    IE 9 installed but it out does Firefox in the Total Crap Stakes.
    --

    Erik
    Erik Vastmasd, Apr 27, 2011
  6. William Brown

    Richard Guest

    On 26/04/2011 7:43 p.m., William Brown wrote:

    > http://computingondemand.com/why-i-am-dumping-firefox
    >

    > As I thought its Total crap.

    It is total crap, but its the least crap of all the offerings unfortunatly.

    It seems that browsers just keep getting worse and worse with each
    release. I tried chrome but couldnt deal with their bastardization of
    the standard windows controls with its tabs where the title bar should be.

    It also takes over task manager with numerous copies of itself, it seems
    one for each tab and then a few more for good measure.

    IE9 seems to do the same, but not as bad.

    First choice firefox, next IE, last place chrome.

    And it seems that everytime you install chrome it resets all the spy on
    yourself back to google options. Grrr.
    Richard, Apr 27, 2011
  7. William Brown

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 03:58:07 +1200, in message <ip9eeh$81f$>
    Richard wrote:

    > And it seems that everytime you install chrome it resets all the spy on
    > yourself back to google options. Grrr.

    Then replace your Chrome with SRWare Iron
    http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Apr 27, 2011
  8. William Brown

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-04-26, William Brown <> wrote:

    > http://computingondemand.com/why-i-am-dumping-firefox
    >

    > As I thought its Total crap.

    Good, we thought that you thought that.

    The fact that one can dump a web browser is good news, because a) there is a
    choice and b) a dumpee is going to get interested as to why, and produce a
    better one c) competition, like deadlines, tends to move things along.

    To think that even Ms Windows never has charged for her web browsers and
    Firefox offers her source to anyone who asks
    Gordon, Apr 28, 2011
  9. William Brown

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-04-27, Erik Vastmasd <> wrote:
    > I caught a glimpse of William Brown <> on Tue, 26 Apr
    > 2011 19:43:23 +1200, writing in nz.comp:
    >
    >>http://computingondemand.com/why-i-am-dumping-firefox
    >>

    >>As I thought its Total crap.

    > I clicked on the above link and had a look.
    >
    > I have Firefox installed but only use it to test sites that other
    > browsers had failed to open.
    >
    > I use Opera and K-Meleon for web pages that can't display Opera.

    Duh? Opera, is a web broswer.

    > I have
    > IE 9 installed but it out does Firefox in the Total Crap Stakes.

    So tell us, which web browser do you use in your day to day use of the web?

    Must be on the Ms Windows 7 platform
    Gordon, Apr 28, 2011
  10. William Brown

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-04-26, Boots <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:43:23 +1200, William Brown wrote:
    >
    >> http://computingondemand.com/why-i-am-dumping-firefox
    >>

    >> As I thought its Total crap.

    > Hi Woger,
    >
    > That is not an objective empirical test that measures memory usage
    > without any instance of the browsers running (or any systems used by the
    > browsers). It is most unlikely that MSIE is accurately reporting total
    > memory usage to deliver those web pages.
    >
    > I very much doubt that she didn't have a flash plug-in installed - dumb
    > bimbos such as her don't consider Macromedia Flash to be an extension of
    > the browser (of course technically it's a plug-in not an extension).
    >
    > Next time you might care to post articles that are actually worth reading
    > due to their objectivity and empirical rigor.

    Boots,

    You must be pretty new here. That or very polite. Not that it is a bad
    thing.
    Gordon, Apr 28, 2011
  11. William Brown

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 28 Apr 2011 05:56:24 GMT, in message <>
    Gordon wrote:

    > On 2011-04-27, Erik Vastmasd <> wrote:

    > > I use Opera and K-Meleon for web pages that can't display Opera.

    > Duh? Opera, is a web broswer.

    Opera and K-Meleon are both web browsers.
    Obviously Eric means: "I use Opera, and K-Meleon for web pages that can't display in Opera."

    > > I have
    > > IE 9 installed but it out does Firefox in the Total Crap Stakes.

    > So tell us, which web browser do you use in your day to day use of the web?

    What Eric already told us:

    1) Opera [see "http://www.opera.com/"]
    2) K-Meleon [see "http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/"]

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Apr 28, 2011
  12. William Brown

    Boots Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 05:58:58 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Boots,
    >
    > You must be pretty new here. That or very polite. Not that it is a bad
    > thing.

    Nope. Been posting here for probably more than 10 years. :)

    Woger is a plonker. Other people need to understand that the article he
    posted was biased rubbish.

    Boots, Apr 28, 2011
  13. William Brown

    Boots Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 05:51:58 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > To think that even Ms Windows never has charged for her web browsers and
    > Firefox offers her source to anyone who asks

    Yes - but the reason why M$ doesn't charge _separately_ for MSIE is
    because in the beginning all other browsers were applications that you
    had to purchase. Then Microsoft, belatedly realised that it was being
    left behind in the browser game and so they bundled MSIE - a browser that
    claimed it was the same as Netscape - for free with Micro$oft Window$ in
    an attempt to kill off all other browsers. They succeeded in killing
    Netscape and then left MSIE to stagnate.

    But then Firefox rose out of the ashes. :)

    Suddenly a great flurry of activity started to take place to fix the
    significant defects in MSIE. They're again playing catch up and are
    unlikely to ever do anything else.

    Boots, Apr 28, 2011
  14. I caught a glimpse of Ralph Fox <> on Thu, 28 Apr 2011
    20:40:54 +1200, writing in nz.comp:

    >On 28 Apr 2011 05:56:24 GMT, in message <>
    >Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> On 2011-04-27, Erik Vastmasd <> wrote:

    >> > I use Opera and K-Meleon for web pages that can't display Opera.

    >> Duh? Opera, is a web broswer.

    >Opera and K-Meleon are both web browsers.
    >Obviously Eric means: "I use Opera, and K-Meleon for web pages that can't display in Opera."

    Thanks Ralph, that was what I trying to say.

    I'll make an effort to be clearer in future.

    Erik Vastmasd, Apr 29, 2011