    Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
    good idea. I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
    like.

    RichA, Jun 24, 2011

  2. RichA

    Alex Monro Guest

    RichA wrote:

    > Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
    > good idea. I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
    > like.

    Because I don't want to have to worry about my camera getting hacked.

    Alex Monro, Jun 25, 2011

  3. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Jun 24, 3:54 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
    > good idea.  I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
    > like.

    Cost, aren't they about 8 times more expensive than a normal card .

    Whisky-dave, Jun 27, 2011
  4. RichA

    ray Guest

    $$

    ray, Jun 27, 2011
  5. On Jun 24, 9:54 am, RichA <> wrote:
    > Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
    > good idea.  I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
    > like.

    I don't find that particular aspect of any interest, and I have
    one such card. It's slow, and it's not under my control.
    I don't know when it's started, when it's finished, etc.

    Also, the cards are very limited in what Wifi networks
    you can configure them to attach to. They won't attach
    to any hotel or airport network I've tried, for example
    (they can't be configured to work on any network where
    you have to go through a logon screen on the device
    you'll be using the network from).

    I was optimistic that the Android connection option
    would be useful, but it turns out not to be (and runs down
    my camera batteries in nothing flat). It works by the
    card becoming a Wifi access point and the Android
    connecting to it. This disconnects me from everything
    else, which is not useful.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 28, 2011
  6. On Jun 27, 4:35 am, Whisky-dave <> wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 3:54 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > > Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
    > > good idea.  I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
    > > like.

    > Cost, aren't they about 8 times more expensive than a normal card .

    But you only need one.

    By camera-buyer standards, a $50 4GB card with WiFi
    is near the impulse-purchase level.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 29, 2011
  7. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > > On Jun 27, 4:35 am, Whisky-dave <> wrote:
    > > > On Jun 24, 3:54 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
    > > > good idea. I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
    > > > like.

    > > Cost, aren't they about 8 times more expensive than a normal card .

    > But you only need one.
    >
    > By camera-buyer standards, a $50 4GB card with WiFi is near the
    > impulse-purchase level.

    Did you notice the P&S trend towards putting SD slots, inside battery
    compartments? It began in the mid-2000's, and may have been designed
    to increase the sales of those higher-priced (but, more convenient)
    Wi-Fi cards.

    Conspiracy theories, anybody?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 5, 2011
  8. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Jul 5, 1:25 am, John Turco <> wrote:
    > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > > > Cost, aren't they about 8 times more expensive than a normal card .

    > > But you only need one.

    > > By camera-buyer standards, a $50 4GB card with WiFi is near the
    > > impulse-purchase level.

    > Did you notice the P&S trend towards putting SD slots, inside battery
    > compartments? It began in the mid-2000's, and may have been designed
    > to increase the sales of those higher-priced (but, more convenient)
    > Wi-Fi cards.
    >
    > Conspiracy theories, anybody?

    Nah, I think it's because they only wanted one flap to design
    rathen than differnt flap/covers for cards, USB, external power,
    batteries etc..
    Those little flaps are usually a weak point in camera design so the
    less of them you have the better.
    Less fidly too having one largish one than 3 small ones.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 5, 2011
  9. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Whisky-dave wrote:

    > > On Jul 5, 1:25 am, John Turco <> wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > > Did you notice the P&S trend towards putting SD slots, inside battery
    > > compartments? It began in the mid-2000's, and may have been designed
    > > to increase the sales of those higher-priced (but, more convenient)
    > > Wi-Fi cards.
    > >
    > > Conspiracy theories, anybody?

    > Nah, I think it's because they only wanted one flap to design
    > rathen than differnt flap/covers for cards, USB, external power,
    > batteries etc..
    >
    > Those little flaps are usually a weak point in camera design so
    > theless of them you have the better.
    >
    > Less fidly too having one largish one than 3 small ones.

    Actually, on eBay, digicams' replacement battery doors have long
    seemed to be a booming business.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>