Why has my ISP forgotten my password?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by slacK_, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. slacK_

    slacK_ Guest

    Jim Weatherall wrote:

    > When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which says
    > Invalid user name or password.
    >
    > It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number is 023
    > 9250 4997.

    hmm. Number one is why would you put your phone number on a open
    message board? Perhaps your ISP hasnt forgotten your password but you
    simply misspelled your password when you entered it?
    slacK_, Aug 14, 2004

  2. slacK_

    mAineAc Guest

    Jim Weatherall wrote:
    > When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which says
    > Invalid user name or password.
    >
    > It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number is 023
    > 9250 4997.

    This was a huge mistake. You never put your number or address on a news
    server unless you like being harrassed. You need to contact your ISP for
    the problem you are experiencing. They have not forgotten your password
    you have or have issues with your setup. To receive replies you need to
    check with the news server you posted on not your email.
    mAineAc, Aug 14, 2004

  3. When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which says

    Jim Weatherall, Aug 14, 2004
  4. slacK_

    TOM Guest

    "mAineAc" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Weatherall wrote:
    >> When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which says
    >> Invalid user name or password.
    >>
    >> It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number is
    >> 023
    >> 9250 4997.
    >>

    > This was a huge mistake. You never put your number or address on a news
    > server unless you like being harrassed. You need to contact your ISP for
    > the problem you are experiencing. They have not forgotten your password
    > you have or have issues with your setup. To receive replies you need to
    > check with the news server you posted on not your email.

    This happens a LOT with ntl. It wil probably be okay soon.
    TOM, Aug 14, 2004
  5. slacK_

    Puzzled Guest

    I suspect what we have is someone posting an
    unsuspecting victims number, this is too dubious?

    Contact your ISP/email provider, they will tell you
    how to configure Outlook express.

    Puzzled, Aug 14, 2004
  6. slacK_

    SgtMinor Guest

    Puzzled wrote:

    > I suspect what we have is someone posting an
    > unsuspecting victims number, this is too dubious?

    How do you feel about those who use an unsuspecting victim's URL like
    http://www.forgotten.net/?
    SgtMinor, Aug 14, 2004
  7. slacK_

    Kiro Guest

    "Puzzled" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Weatherall" <> wrote in message
    > > When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which

    says
    > > Invalid user name or password.
    > >
    > > It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number
    > > is 023 9250 4997.

    > I suspect what we have is someone posting an
    > unsuspecting victims number, this is too dubious?

    Not at all. As the saying goes "no-one ever went broke underestimating the
    intelligence of the general public."

    Also, it is "just" a telephone number after all. Anybody who likes making
    prank calls has thousands of names+numbers to choose from in any phonebook.
    It was a newbie mistake of his perhaps, but I think it unlikely to cause him
    any grief.

    But what i'm really curious about is - what the hell is it with NTL?? I
    mean, there are thousands of ISPs on this planet, so why does this forum get
    so many clueless posts from this one specific ISP?

    Kiro
    Kiro, Aug 15, 2004
  8. Kiro wrote:

    > But what i'm really curious about is - what the hell is it with NTL??
    > I mean, there are thousands of ISPs on this planet, so why does this
    > forum get so many clueless posts from this one specific ISP?

    I suspect these are people who've set themselves up with a CD from NTL,
    and part of that customization subscribes to this group in OE so it can
    do NTL's customer service work.

    So what the group gets is not just NTL customers (which would be bad
    enough, as NTL seems to be brain dead) -- but the NTL customers that
    have to have their hands held by a custom ISP CD...AND...they're
    therefore all OE users, as well, with broken news clients. So with all
    that sorting, the group *really* gets the dregs. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 15, 2004
  9. slacK_

    Kiro Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Kiro wrote:
    >
    > > But what i'm really curious about is - what the hell is it with NTL??
    > > I mean, there are thousands of ISPs on this planet, so why does this
    > > forum get so many clueless posts from this one specific ISP?

    > I suspect these are people who've set themselves up with a CD from NTL,
    > and part of that customization subscribes to this group in OE so it can
    > do NTL's customer service work.
    >
    > So what the group gets is not just NTL customers (which would be bad
    > enough, as NTL seems to be brain dead) -- but the NTL customers that
    > have to have their hands held by a custom ISP CD...AND...they're
    > therefore all OE users, as well, with broken news clients. So with all
    > that sorting, the group *really* gets the dregs. :)

    hehe :) That would explain a lot.

    I recall a user on my isp set up quite a comprehensive domain providing free
    help to Australian broadband users. And reportedly, both our major
    broadband ISPs here direct customers who ring their support-line to view
    this private third-party page, rather than deal with it themselves!

    The buckpassing is shameless.
    Kiro, Aug 16, 2004