    100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
    is worn out.
    All suggestions appreciated.

    M, May 26, 2005

  2. M

    Paul - xxx Guest

    M came up with the following;:
    > I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    > accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    > driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
    > use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
    > consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
    > about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done
    > over 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the
    > engine is worn out.
    > All suggestions appreciated.

    Give it a service. Blocked air, fuel filters can really hamper outright
    performance.

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

    Paul - xxx, May 26, 2005

  3. M

    old jon Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    >M came up with the following;:
    >> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    >> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    >> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does
    >> not
    >> use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced.
    >> Petrol
    >> consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
    >> about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done
    >> over 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the
    >> engine is worn out.
    >> All suggestions appreciated.

    > Give it a service. Blocked air, fuel filters can really hamper outright
    > performance.

    INSERT> Why ?. It`s done 100,000 miles without a service <g>

    old jon, May 26, 2005
  4. M

    Guest

    On "M" <> wrote:

    |>I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    |>accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    |>driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
    |>use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
    |>consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
    |>about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
    |>100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
    |>is worn out.
    |>All suggestions appreciated.

    Not knowing the year or make...

    Some cars have a chip that watches your habits and adjust settings to
    a point they suck. Omini Horizon is one.

    Disconnecting the positive battery cable for awhile will reset the
    chip, and give better performance.

    Car computer chips also have what's called a limp mode, meaning it's
    not sure which end is up and defaults to a setting allowing you to
    "limp" home. - could be in that mode.

    Again depending upon the year and model of the car, there is a chip
    reader available to read the chip and it's problems. Some cars allow a
    little voodoo with the ignition switch, then you can decipher flashing
    dash lights to find a problem; again I know a Omini Horizon is one.

    Google for your car

    --
    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

    , May 26, 2005
  5. M

    Plato Guest

    M wrote:

    > I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    > accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    > driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
    > use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
    > consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
    > about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
    > 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
    > is worn out.

    When was the last time the air filter was changed? In other words, I
    dont mean the last time you had it serviced, but I do mean, when was the
    last time the air and/or gas filter was changed and you actually
    verified that the new parts were put in?

    Another thing is that fuel injectors get dirty and dont spray the fine
    mist that they do when newer. A couple of tanks of petrol and some added
    injector cleaner may do the trick, assuming the above is OK also.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 26, 2005
  6. M wrote:

    > I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    > accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    > driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
    > use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
    > consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
    > about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
    > 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
    > is worn out.
    > All suggestions appreciated.

    Have you considered that the piston rings may be shafted?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 26, 2005
  7. M

    boywonder Guest

    In news:g2sle.76$,
    Brian H¹© <> typed:
    > M wrote:
    >
    >> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    >> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    >> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It
    >> does not use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly
    >> serviced. Petrol consumption is slightly higher than before but
    >> nothing to get too worried about. I have checked for binding brakes
    >> and they are OK. It has done over 100,000 miles but as it does not
    >> use any oil I don't think that the engine is worn out.
    >> All suggestions appreciated.
    >>

    > Have you considered that the piston rings may be shafted?

    You do change the oil every 3000 km?
    --
    Tommy
    tommyATlee9_2000(removethis)ATyahooATcom

    boywonder, May 26, 2005
  8. M wrote:

    > I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    > accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    > driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
    > use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
    > consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
    > about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
    > 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
    > is worn out.

    Hey, that's pretty low mileage for an '85 Yugo.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 27, 2005
  9. M

    ellis_jay Guest

    M wrote:
    > I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    > accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    > driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It
    > does not use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly
    > serviced. Petrol consumption is slightly higher than before but
    > nothing to get too worried about. I have checked for binding brakes
    > and they are OK. It has done over 100,000 miles but as it does not
    > use any oil I don't think that the engine is worn out.
    > All suggestions appreciated.

    Sounds to me like the cam shaft needs replacing. The lobes could be worn
    and that is why you lose power going up a hill or pulling a load. Has the
    car idled alot over the years? Excessive idling will make the lobes wear
    down prematurely thereby causing the pushrods to not work properly for the
    normal strokes they need for power transfer to intake and exhaust valves
    under load. You may not have an oil usage issue, but that doesn't matter
    for certain stages of this problem. But do practice the Law of Parsimony
    and do the simple things first. Air filter, gas filter checks and the like.
    Check compression and so forth before you junk it at the auction. It
    probably has a test connector somewhere under the dash or hood for testing
    emission electronics. It is easy to test that connector...........get a
    Haynes Manual at the part store and a 40 dollar-or less- tester and check
    it... easy directions...and the codes are in the manual. You may still want
    to junk it. Diagnostics are easy--paying for the problem may not be so easy
    or even desirable.

    yer welcome

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, May 27, 2005
  10. M

    jbx Guest

    M wrote:
    > I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    > accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    > driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
    > use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
    > consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
    > about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
    > 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
    > is worn out.
    > All suggestions appreciated.

    Not knowing the make, model, operating system etc.

    You could take Frank Da Luccas' advice, (afterall he is an MPV!) and
    install Service Pack 2.

    Or more likely, had a look here.
    http://www.directindustry.com/prod/...ml?&idvisite=167598&MotCle=vehicle diagnostic

    --
    jbx

    jbx, May 27, 2005
  11. M

    Keme Guest

    M wrote:
    > I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    > accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    > driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
    > use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
    > consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
    > about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
    > 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
    > is worn out.
    > All suggestions appreciated.

    While all the other advice about filters, piston rings and other regular
    service is to the point, I didn't see anyone mention spark plugs. They
    are easy and cheap to change and a likely cause of the symptoms
    mentioned (loss of power and slightly higher fuel consumption). Not
    likely if it'd be a diesel engine, though...

    Keme, May 27, 2005
  12. M

    ellis_jay Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > M wrote:
    >
    >> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    >> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    >> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It
    >> does not use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly
    >> serviced. Petrol consumption is slightly higher than before but
    >> nothing to get too worried about. I have checked for binding brakes
    >> and they are OK. It has done over 100,000 miles but as it does not
    >> use any oil I don't think that the engine is worn out.
    >> All suggestions appreciated.
    >>

    > Have you considered that the piston rings may be shafted?

    lol.......

    "Gee, my plugs won't spark!"
    "And my carburator won't carb!"
    "Well ! my heater won't heat!"
    "Shit! My pistons wont pis!"

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, May 28, 2005
  13. M

    ellis_jay Guest

    jbx wrote:
    > M wrote:
    >> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    >> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    >> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It
    >> does not use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly
    >> serviced. Petrol consumption is slightly higher than before but
    >> nothing to get too worried about. I have checked for binding brakes
    >> and they are OK. It has done over 100,000 miles but as it does not
    >> use any oil I don't think that the engine is worn out.
    >> All suggestions appreciated.
    >>

    > Not knowing the make, model, operating system etc.
    >
    > You could take Frank Da Luccas' advice, (afterall he is an MPV!) and
    > install Service Pack 2.
    >
    > Or more likely, had a look here.

    http://www.directindustry.com/prod/...ml?&idvisite=167598&MotCle=vehicle diagnostic

    **** that. Too much money. Especially for the home user who won't need it
    but once in a great while. Get a Haynes Manual for your model, its got the
    trouble codes for your model, and you may not need anything more than a
    jumper (like a paper clip) to insert in the test connector to initiate the
    code flashes, or an ohm-meter to flash its needle.

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, May 28, 2005
  14. M

    Guest

    On "ellis_jay" <> wrote:

    |>Get a Haynes Manual for your model, its got the
    |>trouble codes for your model,

    For almost the same price you can go to the dealer and purchase a
    service manual, it's what Haynes and Chilton get their info from.

    Much more in depth and covers everything; including full wiring
    diagrams.

    --

    , May 28, 2005
  15. M

    ellis_jay Guest

    Keme wrote:
    > M wrote:
    >> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    >> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    >> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It
    >> does not use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly
    >> serviced. Petrol consumption is slightly higher than before but
    >> nothing to get too worried about. I have checked for binding brakes
    >> and they are OK. It has done over 100,000 miles but as it does not
    >> use any oil I don't think that the engine is worn out.
    >> All suggestions appreciated.
    >>

    > While all the other advice about filters, piston rings and other
    > regular service is to the point, I didn't see anyone mention spark
    > plugs. They are easy and cheap to change

    > and a likely cause of the
    > symptoms mentioned (loss of power and slightly higher fuel
    > consumption).

    I don't think I would agree that it "likely" is a cause of his problem
    because we can infer he has no cold-start problems from his post. He fails
    to mention any odor of "gasoline", which, combined with his symptoms, that
    odor could indicate a plugged or very nearly plugged air canister, (if he
    has one) but the vehicle could perform as he says.. If the catalytic
    converter is building up heavy deposits, sluggishness would be linear and
    poor performace would not occur only on hills or under load.
    But still, you make a good point.

    That is why the electronic emission control system should be checked

    >Not likely if it'd be a diesel engine, though...

    That corn additive gas is hell on injectors on some models.....

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, May 28, 2005
  16. M

    ellis_jay Guest

    wrote:
    > On "ellis_jay" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Get a Haynes Manual for your model, its got the
    >>> trouble codes for your model,

    > For almost the same price you can go to the dealer and purchase a
    > service manual, it's what Haynes and Chilton get their info from.
    >
    > Much more in depth and covers everything; including full wiring
    > diagrams.

    I stay away from buying anything from a dealer, unless I have to buy there.
    Over -priced . Not much at a dealer's for under 15 bucks. But yes, ya
    could prolly snatch a good manual there.

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, May 28, 2005
  17. M

    Guest

    On "ellis_jay" <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> For almost the same price you can go to the dealer and purchase a
    |>> service manual, it's what Haynes and Chilton get their info from.
    |>>
    |>> Much more in depth and covers everything; including full wiring
    |>> diagrams.

    |>Over -priced . Not much at a dealer's for under 15 bucks. But yes, ya
    |>could prolly snatch a good manual there.

    Agreed, while I mention'd for the same price, the truth is a dealer
    can charge you whatever they want for it.

    I always get one for whichever car I own, I've spend from $20 to over
    a couple hundred (Three volume set), but you can't beat them if your
    going to do any auto repair, almost a necessity for electrical and
    shorts..

    --

    , May 28, 2005
  18. Possible the cat matrix is breaking up.

    valeofbelvoirdrinker, May 29, 2005
  19. M

    ellis_jay Guest

    Re: just found down the hall

    ellis_jay wrote:
    > M wrote:
    >> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
    >> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
    >> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It
    >> does not use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly
    >> serviced. Petrol consumption is slightly higher than before but
    >> nothing to get too worried about. I have checked for binding brakes
    >> and they are OK. It has done over 100,000 miles but as it does not
    >> use any oil I don't think that the engine is worn out.
    >> All suggestions appreciated.

    > Sounds to me like the cam shaft needs replacing. The lobes could be
    > worn and that is why you lose power going up a hill or pulling a
    > load. Has the car idled alot over the years? Excessive idling will
    > make the lobes wear down prematurely thereby causing the pushrods to
    > not work properly for the normal strokes they need for power transfer
    > to intake and exhaust valves under load. You may not have an oil
    > usage issue, but that doesn't matter for certain stages of this
    > problem. But do practice the Law of Parsimony and do the simple
    > things first. Air filter, gas filter checks and the like. Check
    > compression and so forth before you junk it at the auction. It
    > probably has a test connector somewhere under the dash or hood for
    > testing emission electronics. It is easy to test that
    > connector...........get a Haynes Manual at the part store and a 40
    > dollar-or less- tester and check it... easy directions...and the
    > codes are in the manual. You may still want to junk it. Diagnostics
    > are easy--paying for the problem may not be so easy or even
    > desirable.
    >
    > yer welcome

    http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/students/hari1/ci335/3c.html

    Ellis_jay