Why, George, WHY??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Herring, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Mark Herring

    Mark Herring Guest

    I am begniing to wonder what motivates our little mascot.

    Since we all now have a perfect understanding of the technology, maybe
    a digression into psychology and mental illness would be good........

    Possible explanations:

    1. He really believes what he is saying, and feels that he has a
    mission to share his knowledge and insight. He writes really well, so
    it's a bit hard to comprehend how he could be so stupid.

    2. Someone is paying him (certainly not Sigma or Foveon...;) ).
    This seems unlikely, since they could get sued for slandering the
    Foveon technology.

    3. He is an egomaniac who thrives on the attention. If so, he
    will go away only when we stop arguing with him---or when he exhausts
    himself.

    4. Because of some mental disorder, he cannot accept that he made
    a mistake in buying his SD-9. The defense mechanism is to delude
    himself that he made the right decision, and EVERYONE ELSE is wrong

    Any other theories?? Any mental health professionals out there care
    to have crack at this?
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Mark Herring

    Bowser Guest

    Jeezuz, you haven't killfiled him yet? What the hell are you waiting for?

    Bowser, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Mark Herring

    Mike Guest

    > I am begniing to wonder what motivates our little mascot.
    >
    > Since we all now have a perfect understanding of the technology, maybe
    > a digression into psychology and mental illness would be good........
    >
    > Possible explanations:
    >
    > 1. He really believes what he is saying, and feels that he has a
    > mission to share his knowledge and insight. He writes really well, so
    > it's a bit hard to comprehend how he could be so stupid.
    >
    > 2. Someone is paying him (certainly not Sigma or Foveon...;) ).
    > This seems unlikely, since they could get sued for slandering the
    > Foveon technology.
    >
    > 3. He is an egomaniac who thrives on the attention. If so, he
    > will go away only when we stop arguing with him---or when he exhausts
    > himself.
    >
    > 4. Because of some mental disorder, he cannot accept that he made
    > a mistake in buying his SD-9. The defense mechanism is to delude
    > himself that he made the right decision, and EVERYONE ELSE is wrong
    >
    > Any other theories?? Any mental health professionals out there care
    > to have crack at this?
    > **************************
    > Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    > Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    > Mr Herring,

    I like to pick a bone with you, on your aspersions as the qualifications for
    your perception of what constitutes mental illness. I think you probably
    know from personal experience, pointed out to you by your analyst. That
    contributing to a news group, qualifies one as suffering from compulsive
    behaviour syndrome. Hence the compulsive George knocking to get world wide
    attention. Tell me do you have dreams of being waylaid by a Foveon chip and
    that it is trying to recruit you into the band of brothers. Tell your
    analist he wiil interpret the meaning. But in the mean time look after the
    chip on your shoulder as I will mine.
    MikeS:)
    Mike, Dec 19, 2003
  4. damm ....the preddy-troll-o-meter just went off....

    1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
    <>

    Betty Swallocks, Dec 19, 2003
  5. "Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    > I am begniing to wonder what motivates our little mascot.
    >
    > Since we all now have a perfect understanding of the technology,

    maybe
    > a digression into psychology and mental illness would be

    good........

    > Possible explanations:
    >
    > 1. He really believes what he is saying, and feels that he has a
    > mission to share his knowledge and insight. He writes really well,

    so
    > it's a bit hard to comprehend how he could be so stupid.
    >
    > 2. Someone is paying him (certainly not Sigma or Foveon...;) ).
    > This seems unlikely, since they could get sued for slandering the
    > Foveon technology.
    >
    > 3. He is an egomaniac who thrives on the attention. If so, he
    > will go away only when we stop arguing with him---or when he

    exhausts
    > himself.
    >
    > 4. Because of some mental disorder, he cannot accept that he made
    > a mistake in buying his SD-9. The defense mechanism is to delude
    > himself that he made the right decision, and EVERYONE ELSE is wrong
    >
    > Any other theories?? Any mental health professionals out there care
    > to have crack at this?
    > **************************
    > Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    > Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Am mentally disturbed because I am very happy with my purchase of an
    SD9? You certainly aren't as militant in your opinions as you claim
    George is to suggest that anything other than your choice is a mistake
    are you?
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Mark Herring

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:53:45 GMT, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    >> I am begniing to wonder what motivates our little mascot.
    >>
    >> Since we all now have a perfect understanding of the technology,

    >maybe
    >> a digression into psychology and mental illness would be

    >good........
    >>
    >> Possible explanations:
    >>
    >> 1. He really believes what he is saying, and feels that he has a
    >> mission to share his knowledge and insight. He writes really well,

    >so
    >> it's a bit hard to comprehend how he could be so stupid.
    >>
    >> 2. Someone is paying him (certainly not Sigma or Foveon...;) ).
    >> This seems unlikely, since they could get sued for slandering the
    >> Foveon technology.
    >>
    >> 3. He is an egomaniac who thrives on the attention. If so, he
    >> will go away only when we stop arguing with him---or when he

    >exhausts
    >> himself.
    >>
    >> 4. Because of some mental disorder, he cannot accept that he made
    >> a mistake in buying his SD-9. The defense mechanism is to delude
    >> himself that he made the right decision, and EVERYONE ELSE is wrong
    >>
    >> Any other theories?? Any mental health professionals out there care
    >> to have crack at this?
    >> **************************
    >> Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    >> Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    >>

    >Am mentally disturbed because I am very happy with my purchase of an
    >SD9? You certainly aren't as militant in your opinions as you claim
    >George is to suggest that anything other than your choice is a mistake
    >are you?

    Put this in the context of the whole history of these inane threads.
    Can't speak for anyone else here but I never question anyone's choice
    of cameras. Oldest rule in the book: "If it works, it's OK".

    My camera has some issues---as does yours. We will each make our own
    decisions as to what to do next.

    The issue with George is the zealotry and the outrageous statements.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Mark Herring

    Mark B. Guest

    > I am begniing to wonder what motivates our little mascot.

    <snip>

    Who cares? Just filter him out & be done with it!

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 20, 2003
  8. "Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:53:45 GMT, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Mark Herring" <> wrote in message
    > >> I am begniing to wonder what motivates our little mascot.
    > >>
    > >> Since we all now have a perfect understanding of the technology,

    > >maybe
    > >> a digression into psychology and mental illness would be

    > >good........
    > >>
    > >> Possible explanations:
    > >>
    > >> 1. He really believes what he is saying, and feels that he has a
    > >> mission to share his knowledge and insight. He writes really

    well,
    > >so
    > >> it's a bit hard to comprehend how he could be so stupid.
    > >>
    > >> 2. Someone is paying him (certainly not Sigma or Foveon...;) ).
    > >> This seems unlikely, since they could get sued for slandering the
    > >> Foveon technology.
    > >>
    > >> 3. He is an egomaniac who thrives on the attention. If so, he
    > >> will go away only when we stop arguing with him---or when he

    > >exhausts
    > >> himself.
    > >>
    > >> 4. Because of some mental disorder, he cannot accept that he made
    > >> a mistake in buying his SD-9. The defense mechanism is to delude
    > >> himself that he made the right decision, and EVERYONE ELSE is

    wrong

    > >> Any other theories?? Any mental health professionals out there

    care
    > >> to have crack at this?
    > >> **************************
    > >> Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    > >> Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    > >>

    > >Am mentally disturbed because I am very happy with my purchase of

    an
    > >SD9? You certainly aren't as militant in your opinions as you

    claim
    > >George is to suggest that anything other than your choice is a

    mistake
    > >are you?
    > >

    > Put this in the context of the whole history of these inane threads.
    > Can't speak for anyone else here but I never question anyone's

    choice
    > of cameras. Oldest rule in the book: "If it works, it's OK".
    >
    > My camera has some issues---as does yours. We will each make our

    own
    > decisions as to what to do next.
    >
    > The issue with George is the zealotry and the outrageous statements.
    > **************************
    > Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    > Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    That we can agree on - whatever works for you is fine, whatever works
    for me is fine. I'm nothing but a rank amateur but I do appreciate a
    good camera and prefer to spend my money on something that will not
    make me wish I had gotten something better. I've been wanting an SD9
    for quite some time. I admire it's output quality, but also admire
    the others such as Nikon, Canon, etc. My choice is the SD9 and it
    works perfectly for me. The only drawback I see in the camera is the
    lack of built-in flash and perhaps a few higher ISO settings but I've
    never shot any higher than ISO 400 in the past so spending $ 1500.00
    on an SD10 rather than $ 800.00 on an SD9 was just not practical for
    me.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Mark Herring

    Noel Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:45:22 -0800, Mark Herring
    <> wrote:

    >Since we all now have a perfect understanding of the technology, maybe
    >a digression into psychology and mental illness would be good........
    >
    >Possible explanations:
    >
    >1. He really believes what he is saying, and feels that he has a
    >mission to share his knowledge and insight. He writes really well, so
    >it's a bit hard to comprehend how he could be so stupid.
    >
    >2. Someone is paying him (certainly not Sigma or Foveon...;) ).
    >This seems unlikely, since they could get sued for slandering the
    >Foveon technology.
    >
    >3. He is an egomaniac who thrives on the attention. If so, he
    >will go away only when we stop arguing with him---or when he exhausts
    >himself.
    >
    >4. Because of some mental disorder, he cannot accept that he made
    >a mistake in buying his SD-9. The defense mechanism is to delude
    >himself that he made the right decision, and EVERYONE ELSE is wrong

    My bets are either on 3 or 4, or a weird combination of both.
    Noel, Dec 20, 2003