    finalized. I guess one option is to buy one with a hard drive, tape my
    shows onto that, and try to watch most shows in that room.

    , Mar 29, 2005

  2. Larry Guest

    In article <>, jeffy3
    @hotmail.com says...
    > I have been thoroughly researching a dvd recorder and it sounds like
    > they aren't ready for what I need them to do, which is to replace my
    > vcr as a method of recording all our shows each week. I was hoping to
    > be able to record shows on a dvd recorder, then if I wanted, take the
    > dvd to whatever room we were in the mood to watch something, then play
    > it there, but it sounds like I can't unless I finalize which would be
    > like throwing money away. I don't want to keep every episode of
    > Desperate Housewives or LOST. From what I gather from research, even
    > if my other player is RW compatible, the disc will only work if
    > finalized. I guess one option is to buy one with a hard drive, tape my
    > shows onto that, and try to watch most shows in that room.

    Finalizing the disk doesn't preclude recording on it, it only closes the
    files. The disk can still be erased and re-recorded. (same as tape).

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    Oh, assuming you are correct, that changes everything. When I was
    reading someone's description of finalizing discs, it made it sound
    like it was forever. So what is the downside to just finalizing most
    discs so it'll play on other machines?

    , Mar 29, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I have been thoroughly researching a dvd recorder and it sounds like
    > they aren't ready for what I need them to do, which is to replace my
    > vcr as a method of recording all our shows each week.

    What's wrong with Tivo?

    > I was hoping to
    > be able to record shows on a dvd recorder, then if I wanted, take the
    > dvd to whatever room we were in the mood to watch something, then play
    > it there, but it sounds like I can't unless I finalize which would be
    > like throwing money away.

    True. Multiple Tivo units allow transferring of shows to other boxes on
    the network. It takes time to transfer but then, so does burning a DVD.

    > I don't want to keep every episode of
    > Desperate Housewives or LOST. From what I gather from research, even
    > if my other player is RW compatible, the disc will only work if
    > finalized.

    I have had no problem with non-finalized DVD-RW discs being erased and
    reused but they were generated on my computer DVD drive.

    > I guess one option is to buy one with a hard drive, tape my
    > shows onto that, and try to watch most shows in that room.

    Or get Tivo and only send things you really want to keep to a DVD
    recorder.

    I'm not a Tivo salesguy or anything but I would seriously look into
    seeing if it can better accomplish what you're setting out to do. I'm
    not saying it will for sure but at least look at the possibility.

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Larry Guest

    In article <>, jeffy3
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Oh, assuming you are correct, that changes everything. When I was
    > reading someone's description of finalizing discs, it made it sound
    > like it was forever. So what is the downside to just finalizing most
    > discs so it'll play on other machines?

    If you are using RW discs, the downside is, when you erase it you lose
    everything on it,, again, like tape.

    one final question, will your recorder finalize an rw disc?? some wont.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Guest

    Here is exactly what I want to accomplish. Because I have a toddler
    at home we rarely watch anything "live". We have vcr's in four
    different rooms, and although many times we wait until my son is in
    bed to watch some shows, we also watch some while he is playing, in our
    rec room or in our basement, etc. I often have 3 or 4 or 5 shows on
    tape and just thought it would be fun to have them on dvd and I also
    figured it'd be easier to find individual shows more quickly with a dvd
    than on a tape. It sounds like from what I am hearing in this forum
    and from other internet research, that any disc I record may not be
    playable in the other machines we have (we have two dvd players right
    now) unless the disc is finalized. It was my understanding that even
    with an RW disc, when finalized the material is there for good. Now I
    am hearing I can erase it all which is fine with me. I don't want to
    burn a week's worth of shows and then finalize it, then have to throw
    out a $2.00 disc since I can't reuse it. TiVO won't do me much good
    because it ties me to one room. The cost factor is something to
    consider too. I can't afford at this time to buy a super dvd recorder
    with a hard drive and am not in a position to pay a monthly fee for
    Tivo either. The situation isn't that crucial. I can just stay with
    VHS. It's just sad that the technology isn't there to truly replace
    the vcr.

    , Mar 29, 2005
  7. Guest

    Geez, now I have to investigate whether the recorder will finalize or
    not??? I don't recall any of the recorders I reviewed even mentioning
    this? I am pretty much ready to give up for now, at least until the
    technology is consistent!

    , Mar 29, 2005
  8. Larry Guest

    In article <>, jeffy3
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Geez, now I have to investigate whether the recorder will finalize or
    > not??? I don't recall any of the recorders I reviewed even mentioning
    > this? I am pretty much ready to give up for now, at least until the
    > technology is consistent!

    Its usually in the function menu (the one you would go to to
    record/erase/pick speed.

    Someone on the NG might know a model to recomend.

    I have a cheapo ILO recorder, and I record programs for my wife several times
    a week.

    I then put the DVD+RW into the computer, load all the .VOB files into Editor
    and remove the commercials, then resave the files (only takes a few minutes
    per hour of video. TMPGenc Editor is LOSSLES re-save.

    Then I erase the RW disc, and reburn it using Nero (and finalize) and give
    her the disk.

    Once she has watched it, I put it back into the ILO recorder, erase it, and
    start over.

    To keep this going smoothly I use a rotating stock of only four RW disks,
    which I have used at least a dozen times each. So far no problem.

    If she wants to watch a program the same night I record it, she gets it
    commercials and all.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 29, 2005
  9. I sort of agree with you. Although I think dvd recorders will outsale vcrs,
    the vcr is still the most convenient medium.

    There is also the issue of stations redflagging content disallowing a
    digital recording of it, although you may still record it through analog.
    (Now I am not THAT familiar with the issue, so if you out there are more
    knowledgeable on this, pipe in but don't flame me.)

    What I have done is gotten a SVHS recorder. The tapes are a bit more
    expensive but you can get them on eBay pretty cheap. I have a couple of
    tapes I use over and over again, but if there is a show that it is likely
    that I want to keep I pop in a fresh SVHS tape for that. This has the
    advantage that if I'm correct and I want to keep the material, then the
    resolution of SVHS is great enough to transfer onto dvd and have a really
    good picture. But I admit that there are very few shows I care to do this
    with.

    Bernie Woodham, Mar 29, 2005
  10. Biz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    TiVO won't do me much good
    > because it ties me to one room. The cost factor is something to
    > consider too. I can't afford at this time to buy a super dvd recorder
    > with a hard drive and am not in a position to pay a monthly fee for
    > Tivo either. The situation isn't that crucial. I can just stay with
    > VHS. It's just sad that the technology isn't there to truly replace
    > the vcr.

    It seems even from your post that you admit the technology is truly here,
    just not at the low pricepoint for your situation.

    Biz, Mar 29, 2005
  11. Guest

    I am not sure I agree. The technology doesn't appear to be here in
    terms of portability. A VHS tape I record will play on anybody's VHS
    player. Not the case with a home-recorded dvd.

    , Mar 29, 2005
  12. Alpha Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, jeffy3
    > @hotmail.com says...
    >> Oh, assuming you are correct, that changes everything. When I was
    >> reading someone's description of finalizing discs, it made it sound
    >> like it was forever. So what is the downside to just finalizing most
    >> discs so it'll play on other machines?
    >>

    > If you are using RW discs, the downside is, when you erase it you lose
    > everything on it,, again, like tape.
    >
    > one final question, will your recorder finalize an rw disc?? some wont.
    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.

    The Pioneer 220 that I have lets you unfinalize RW discs.

    Alpha, Mar 29, 2005
  13. Sam Lowry Guest

    On 29 Mar 2005 12:48:44 -0800, wrote:

    > Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd
    > Subject: Re: Why DVD Recorders Can't Replace VCRs...Yet
    > Date: 29 Mar 2005 12:48:44 -0800
    >
    > I am not sure I agree. The technology doesn't appear to be here in
    > terms of portability. A VHS tape I record will play on anybody's VHS
    > player. Not the case with a home-recorded dvd.

    Hi-
    Like others have said, the future/present is TiVo or similar. TiVo and
    similar products are dropping in price quickly. With TiVo you can transfer
    from your TiVo to another TiVo or to your computer (on which you could
    create a DVD if you wish). Yes, multiple TiVo boxes would be pricy (though
    if you go for the lifetime fee, it pays for itself in less than 2 years).
    Transfering without DVDs or tapes is the most portable.
    SL

    Sam Lowry, Mar 29, 2005
  14. Justin Guest

    Sam Lowry wrote on [Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:47:42 GMT]:
    > On 29 Mar 2005 12:48:44 -0800, wrote:

    >> Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd
    >> Subject: Re: Why DVD Recorders Can't Replace VCRs...Yet
    >> Date: 29 Mar 2005 12:48:44 -0800
    >>
    >> I am not sure I agree. The technology doesn't appear to be here in
    >> terms of portability. A VHS tape I record will play on anybody's VHS
    >> player. Not the case with a home-recorded dvd.

    > Hi-
    > Like others have said, the future/present is TiVo or similar. TiVo and
    > similar products are dropping in price quickly. With TiVo you can transfer
    > from your TiVo to another TiVo or to your computer (on which you could
    > create a DVD if you wish). Yes, multiple TiVo boxes would be pricy (though
    > if you go for the lifetime fee, it pays for itself in less than 2 years).
    > Transfering without DVDs or tapes is the most portable.

    Until you want to take a copy somewhere else...

    How many people ask someone else to tape them something because they
    forget to set their VCR or whatever other reason.

    Justin, Mar 29, 2005
  15. kaydigi Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have been thoroughly researching a dvd recorder and it sounds like
    > they aren't ready for what I need them to do, which is to replace my
    > vcr as a method of recording all our shows each week. I was hoping to
    > be able to record shows on a dvd recorder, then if I wanted, take the
    > dvd to whatever room we were in the mood to watch something, then play
    > it there, but it sounds like I can't unless I finalize which would be
    > like throwing money away. I don't want to keep every episode of
    > Desperate Housewives or LOST. From what I gather from research, even
    > if my other player is RW compatible, the disc will only work if
    > finalized. I guess one option is to buy one with a hard drive, tape my
    > shows onto that, and try to watch most shows in that room.

    What about a Satellite 2 Tuner DVR. Both Dish Network and Direct TV (Branded
    by Tivo) have them. Dish 522 2 Tuner DVR can be split to 2 different rooms
    and watched independently at the same time. The box doesn't have to be in
    the room you are in either due to the UHF remote.

    So in Room A you can watch pre recorded "24" while recording "Raymond". Also
    at the same time in Room B someone else can be watching "Spongebob" while
    recording "The Simpson's"

    They have just installed name based recording on the 522. I don't have
    Direct TV so I can't speak on the room splitting capabilities but they do
    have more stable boxes.

    kaydigi, Mar 29, 2005
  16. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > TiVO won't do me much good
    > because it ties me to one room.

    Do, it doesn't. You can also record the shows for that room for who's
    most likely to watch in that room (does that make sense?). :)

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 30, 2005
  17. Guest

    Whats the Big Deal???
    Heck if you watch for a sale in your local store flyers (which come in
    your Sunday paper every week) for sales on blank dvd-r disc stacks
    (usually good brand names to such as Fuji.HP,Sony ect...) you can get
    them for under forty five cents per disc!
    Thats less than half the price when even compared to them ElCheapo
    blank VCR tapes in them everything for a $1.00 stores, and FAR FAR LESS
    price per when compared to brand name blank tapes sold in Walmart!
    So why would you want to rerecord anyway (heck I have not even used the
    one RW disc enclosed with my recorder)?
    Heck just throw it away and record on a fresh disc, which is what I do
    when either I screw something up or when I find something wrong with
    the recording after it was recorded(which is rare)!
    BTW from what I understand if a home recorded DVD does not play on a
    player you are using chances are it is either an old old player (or it
    is a badly made cheap one) as to date I have had no problems playing my
    discs on all the players I play them on recorded on my Pioneer 220.

    , Mar 30, 2005
  18. Justin wrote:
    > Sam Lowry wrote on [Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:47:42 GMT]:
    >
    >>On 29 Mar 2005 12:48:44 -0800, wrote:

    >>>Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd
    >>>Subject: Re: Why DVD Recorders Can't Replace VCRs...Yet
    >>>Date: 29 Mar 2005 12:48:44 -0800
    >>>
    >>>I am not sure I agree. The technology doesn't appear to be here in
    >>>terms of portability. A VHS tape I record will play on anybody's VHS
    >>>player. Not the case with a home-recorded dvd.

    >>Hi-
    >>Like others have said, the future/present is TiVo or similar. TiVo and
    >>similar products are dropping in price quickly. With TiVo you can transfer
    >>from your TiVo to another TiVo or to your computer (on which you could
    >>create a DVD if you wish). Yes, multiple TiVo boxes would be pricy (though
    >>if you go for the lifetime fee, it pays for itself in less than 2 years).
    >>Transfering without DVDs or tapes is the most portable.

    > Until you want to take a copy somewhere else...
    >
    > How many people ask someone else to tape them something because they
    > forget to set their VCR or whatever other reason.

    That's when you set up a ftp daemon on your Tivo...

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 30, 2005
  19. Guest

    Justin wrote:

    > Until you want to take a copy somewhere else...
    >
    > How many people ask someone else to tape them something because they
    > forget to set their VCR or whatever other reason.

    VERY good point..although worrying about someone else's forgetfulness
    shouldn't factor into your decision...

    , Mar 30, 2005
  20. Darkknight Guest

    As you've already found out you can re-record over finalised DVD's.

    Another option (which i use) is a digital tuner card in your PC.
    the software that comes with them will record to your hard drive for
    later viewing or placing onto a dvd
    i use VideoRedo to edit out commercials, with practice it take about 5
    mins to edit out all the commercials on a normal length movie, then just
    save it.
    i then use TMPGenc DVD author to make the DVD, i ignore the warning this
    program gives about compatability and it creates the DVD structure then
    allows you to burn to DVD. i haven't found a DVD player that doesn't
    play it.
    Not Only But Also: if the edited program is too large to fit on the DVD,
    i simply save it to hard drive then use DVD shrink to shrink it to DVD
    size with excellent results. The largest program i've done this way is
    3.5 hours with no noticable degradation

    Darkknight, Mar 30, 2005