Why dont they make double sided photo paper?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jonathan Wilson, May 25, 2004.

  1. This may or may not sound like a daft question...

    But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

    A friend of mine who owns a framing and small quantity print shop was
    looking at purchasing a small ink-jet printer that would allow him to
    produce business cards, double sided, to save him having to send the
    proofs to another company for production.

    we tried a couple of tests using the papers, samples, supplied by the
    printing company but even though they looked like photo-paper the
    surface was almost water proof causing the inks to just pool on the
    surface and bleed into each other, a total mess. While the methods of
    ink-jets and contact, litho, et al. printing are totaly different we
    were supprised at how non-pourous the papers were.

    On a personal note, I would love 2 types of photo paper, one that had
    a backside similar to standard "photo copier" paper so notes or print
    info could be written or printed on it; also so that I could create
    double sided business cards and limited sets of postage cards.

    It would also be nice to have high quality (not specifically up to
    high gloss photo-paper) double sided paper to produce "glossy"
    magazine quality prints on both sides.

    If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.

    Thanks in advance

    --
    Jonathan Wilson.
    www.somethingerotic.com

    Jonathan Wilson, May 25, 2004

  2. On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:58:49 +0100, Jonathan Wilson
    <> wrote:

    >This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    >
    >But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

    Epson does - but it's matte, not glossy.

    Later,
    Johnny

    Johnny Johnson, May 25, 2004

  3. Jonathan Wilson

    Cooter Guest

    Take a look at Kodak Glossy Inkjet Paper. It is not specifically photo
    paper, but that is one of the listed uses. It is 45 lb / 170 grams per
    square meter (metre?). The package I am currently using states "Print on
    both sides" and I have done so. I use it exclusively for printing photos
    with good results. Usually comes 75 sheets per package at about 30 cents US
    per sheet.

    Cooter, May 25, 2004
  4. Jonathan Wilson

    Don Guest

    You may want to carry a business card made on an inkjet around in your
    wallet for a few weeks before you do that. You'll probably find that the
    ink comes off when you perspire, on the otheer cards in your wallet (or
    pocket, or shirt....)

    Don

    Don, May 25, 2004
  5. Jonathan Wilson

    Lung Fish Guest

    Lung Fish, May 25, 2004
  6. "Jonathan Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    >
    > But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

    Kodak, at least, does. CAT 112 4346.

    Marvin Margoshes, May 25, 2004
  7. Jonathan Wilson

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Don <> wrote:
    > You may want to carry a business card made on an inkjet around in your
    > wallet for a few weeks before you do that. You'll probably find that the
    > ink comes off when you perspire, on the otheer cards in your wallet (or
    > pocket, or shirt....)

    Lamination.

    Ian Stirling, May 25, 2004
  8. Jonathan Wilson

    Jim Townsend Guest

    omit wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:58:49 +0100, Jonathan Wilson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    >>
    >>But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

    > Epson does - but it's matte, not glossy.

    I had a 10 pack of HP 2 sided paper.. It was glossy one side, and
    matte on the other.. P/N C1846-60001

    Jim Townsend, May 25, 2004
  9. Jonathan Wilson

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Jonathan Wilson <> wrote:

    > This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    >
    > But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.
    >
    > A friend of mine who owns a framing and small quantity print shop was
    > looking at purchasing a small ink-jet printer that would allow him to
    > produce business cards, double sided, to save him having to send the
    > proofs to another company for production.
    >
    > we tried a couple of tests using the papers, samples, supplied by the
    > printing company but even though they looked like photo-paper the
    > surface was almost water proof causing the inks to just pool on the
    > surface and bleed into each other, a total mess. While the methods of
    > ink-jets and contact, litho, et al. printing are totaly different we
    > were supprised at how non-pourous the papers were.
    >
    > On a personal note, I would love 2 types of photo paper, one that had
    > a backside similar to standard "photo copier" paper so notes or print
    > info could be written or printed on it; also so that I could create
    > double sided business cards and limited sets of postage cards.
    >
    > It would also be nice to have high quality (not specifically up to
    > high gloss photo-paper) double sided paper to produce "glossy"
    > magazine quality prints on both sides.
    >
    > If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Tetenal

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, May 25, 2004
  10. Jonathan Wilson

    Peter Guest

    Hello Jonathan Wilson,

    You wrote:

    >This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    >
    >But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

    >If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.

    Might not be quite up to the quality you are looking for but give this a
    try:

    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_2950.html

    Kodak KO8077448 Picture Paper A4 Gloss 190g/m

    unbeatable have the best price I have ever found, but are out of stock a
    lot, so I order well in advance of requiring. If you dont mind paying a
    higher price just to try it out, it is widely available in the UK.

    Regards,
    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 25, 2004
  11. I've got double sided HP glossy paper. It is "HP
    Professional Brochure & Flyer Paper". Mine came in a 50-pack.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, May 25, 2004
  12. Jonathan Wilson <> writes:

    > This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    >
    > But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.
    >
    > A friend of mine who owns a framing and small quantity print shop was
    > looking at purchasing a small ink-jet printer that would allow him to
    > produce business cards, double sided, to save him having to send the
    > proofs to another company for production.
    >
    > we tried a couple of tests using the papers, samples, supplied by the
    > printing company but even though they looked like photo-paper the
    > surface was almost water proof causing the inks to just pool on the
    > surface and bleed into each other, a total mess. While the methods of
    > ink-jets and contact, litho, et al. printing are totaly different we
    > were supprised at how non-pourous the papers were.

    It sounds like you were using the wrong type of paper (resin coated) on a
    printer using pigment inks.

    > On a personal note, I would love 2 types of photo paper, one that had
    > a backside similar to standard "photo copier" paper so notes or print
    > info could be written or printed on it; also so that I could create
    > double sided business cards and limited sets of postage cards.
    >
    > It would also be nice to have high quality (not specifically up to
    > high gloss photo-paper) double sided paper to produce "glossy"
    > magazine quality prints on both sides.
    >
    > If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.

    HP brochure paper is double sided either matte or glossy.

    Redrivercatalog.com has several double sided papers, but I'm not sure if they
    ship to the UK.

    Tetenal has two double sided papers, including one that is matte on one side
    and glossy on the other (presumably good for calendars).

    Ilford has a double sided matte paper.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, May 25, 2004
  13. Bay Area Dave <> writes:

    > I've got double sided HP glossy paper. It is "HP Professional Brochure & Flyer
    > Paper". Mine came in a 50-pack.

    It also comes in a 150 pack, and another pack that is scored for folding in
    thirds.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, May 25, 2004
  14. Jonathan Wilson wrote:

    > This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    >
    > But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

    HP make one called Everyday double sided semi-gloss photo paper . They also make
    on that is single sided. I bought wrong one by mistake. :(

    --
    Ben Thomas

    Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
    limit.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, May 25, 2004
  15. Jonathan Wilson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jonathan Wilson wrote:

    > This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    >
    > But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.
    >
    > A friend of mine who owns a framing and small quantity print shop was
    > looking at purchasing a small ink-jet printer that would allow him to
    > produce business cards, double sided, to save him having to send the
    > proofs to another company for production.
    >
    > we tried a couple of tests using the papers, samples, supplied by the
    > printing company but even though they looked like photo-paper the
    > surface was almost water proof causing the inks to just pool on the
    > surface and bleed into each other, a total mess. While the methods of
    > ink-jets and contact, litho, et al. printing are totaly different we
    > were supprised at how non-pourous the papers were.
    >
    > On a personal note, I would love 2 types of photo paper, one that had
    > a backside similar to standard "photo copier" paper so notes or print
    > info could be written or printed on it; also so that I could create
    > double sided business cards and limited sets of postage cards.
    >
    > It would also be nice to have high quality (not specifically up to
    > high gloss photo-paper) double sided paper to produce "glossy"
    > magazine quality prints on both sides.
    >
    > If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Well, Kodak does, or did, make a paper that is glossy on both sides.
    Kodak premium photo paper (soft gloss). My wife uses it for making half
    fold greeting cards.

    Ron Hunter, May 26, 2004
  16. "Don" <> writes:

    > You may want to carry a business card made on an inkjet around in your
    > wallet for a few weeks before you do that. You'll probably find that the
    > ink comes off when you perspire, on the otheer cards in your wallet (or
    > pocket, or shirt....)

    I've never had any trouble with that happening to mine.
    Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>,<http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 26, 2004
  17. Jonathan Wilson

    Bud Guest

    > This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    >
    > But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

    Kodak 4*6 Glossy paper somes in 20 sheet packs, 190g/sq m, 180 microns.
    Catalog 1234822

    It is double sided and works great.

    Bud

    Bud, May 26, 2004
  18. Jonathan Wilson

    Crownfield Guest

    Bud wrote:

    > "Jonathan Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > > This may or may not sound like a daft question...
    > >
    > > But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

    > Kodak 4*6 Glossy paper somes in 20 sheet packs, 190g/sq m, 180 microns.
    > Catalog 1234822

    best buy was selling an ibm 2 sided glossy perfect for snall pubs.

    Crownfield, May 26, 2004
  19. Jonathan Wilson

    ^ Guest

    ^, May 26, 2004
  20. Jonathan Wilson

    Ron Baird Guest

    Yep,

    Right you are Ron, you can check it out on our site at:
    http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet on that page choose the Presentation paper
    option to review the features of that double sided paper.

    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/36/128&pq-locale=en_US

    If anyone reading this has questions, let me know.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, May 26, 2004