  1. But no, they must cling to their centralized way of doing things, even when
    the decentralized approach has already demonstrated its superiority.

    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1803>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009

  2. In message <4967e049$>, Puddle wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> But no, they must cling to their centralized way of doing things, even
    >> when the decentralized approach has already demonstrated its superiority.
    >>
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1803>

    > The don't have to, it has been done for them :)

    I'm not sure whether that's the official public beta or an earlier build.

    In any case, many people are avoiding the torrents and trying to stick
    to "legitimate" channels, without much success (see some of the reader
    comments to above). An official torrent file would lay their worries (and
    the load on Microsoft's servers) to rest.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-09, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > But no, they must cling to their centralized way of doing things, even when
    > the decentralized approach has already demonstrated its superiority.
    >
    ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1803>

    Then we have

    Microsoft has postponed broad availability of the first Windows 7 beta in
    order to keep up with anticipated download demand.

    Unquote

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/10/winows_7_beta_delay/

    That has to be sentence of the month. Far better than some of the stuff I
    read in this ng. ;-

    Gordon, Jan 10, 2009
  4. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2009-01-09, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> But no, they must cling to their centralized way of doing things, even
    >> when the decentralized approach has already demonstrated its superiority.
    >>
    >><http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1803>

    > Then we have

    > Microsoft has postponed broad availability of the first Windows 7 beta in
    > order to keep up with anticipated download demand.
    >
    > Unquote
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/10/winows_7_beta_delay/
    >
    > That has to be sentence of the month. Far better than some of the stuff I
    > read in this ng. ;-

    "Microsoft Fucks Up Again" isn't really big news any more...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mutley Guest

    Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2009-01-09, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> But no, they must cling to their centralized way of doing things, even when
    >> the decentralized approach has already demonstrated its superiority.
    >>
    >><http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1803>

    >Then we have

    >Microsoft has postponed broad availability of the first Windows 7 beta in
    >order to keep up with anticipated download demand.
    >
    >Unquote
    >
    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/10/winows_7_beta_delay/
    >
    >That has to be sentence of the month. Far better than some of the stuff I
    >read in this ng. ;-

    Unfortunatly I'm going to be away for the next two weeks so by the
    time I get to install in the 2.5Mil keys will be well and truely
    gone.. :-(

    Mutley, Jan 10, 2009
  6. In message <49683c26$>, Bobs wrote:

    > Just goes to show that Windows still has the most pulling power, Lawrence.

    By the way, Firefox managed last year to set the Guinness World Record for
    most-downloaded program in 24 hours. And do it with only a tiny fraction of
    the resources available to Microsoft.

    What were you saying about "pulling power"...?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <49683c26$>, Bobs wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just goes to show that Windows still has the most pulling power,
    >>> Lawrence.

    >> By the way, Firefox managed last year to set the Guinness World Record
    >> for
    >> most-downloaded program in 24 hours. And do it with only a tiny
    >> fraction of
    >> the resources available to Microsoft.
    >>
    >> What were you saying about "pulling power"...?

    > And what OS were the majority of those Firefox downloads running off,
    > Larry?

    And how many were just downloading it again to make the record rather
    then being first time users actually interested in trying it out?

    Richard, Jan 10, 2009
  8. In message <4968609d$>, Bobs wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <49683c26$>, Bobs wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just goes to show that Windows still has the most pulling power,
    >>> Lawrence.

    >> By the way, Firefox managed last year to set the Guinness World Record
    >> for most-downloaded program in 24 hours. And do it with only a tiny
    >> fraction of the resources available to Microsoft.
    >>
    >> What were you saying about "pulling power"...?

    > And what OS were the majority of those Firefox downloads running off,
    > Larry?

    The one written by the vendor struggling to cope with less than one-third of
    that number of downloads.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  9. In message <>, Bobs wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> And what OS were the majority of those Firefox downloads running off,
    >>> Larry?

    >> The one written by the vendor struggling to cope with less than one-third
    >> of that number of downloads.

    > Christ, you're a thick one. Are you trying to suggest a 20mb download is
    > the same as a 2,500mb download?

    You were the one who brought up "pulling power". Are you trying to suggest
    that a bigger download equates to greater "pulling power"?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  10. In message <4968dbac$>, Bobs wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Christ, you're a thick one. Are you trying to suggest a 20mb download is
    >>> the same as a 2,500mb download?

    >> You were the one who brought up "pulling power". Are you trying to
    >> suggest that a bigger download equates to greater "pulling power"?

    > No, it is you that suggested that you clown.

    Look up above, Bobsie. It's clear as day who said "pulling power".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  11. In message <49691194$>, Puddle wrote:

    > Many people would definitely not feel safe downloading a torrent from a
    > site like mininova where you don't know what has been added to the
    > distribution etc.

    Get the torrent from an official site. It's such a tiny file, even
    Microsoft's servers ought to be able to cope with that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  12. And another thing <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3317>: it's ironic
    that Microsoft is distributing its new software in a format that Windows
    doesn't actually know how to handle. You have to buy or download some
    third-party utility or other before you can make a DVD out of it.

    And the sheer size of the download just seems unnecessary. Linux distros
    long ago figured out how to offer much more full-featured installers in
    just a few hundred megabytes. How? Because all the rest remains in official
    repositories on the Internet, to be pulled down only as users ask for it.

    This is something Microsoft desperately needs to learn how to do: create a
    modular, agile, extensible operating system. The days of gargantuan,
    lumbering monoliths are past; the fact that Windows 7 seems to be just
    another one of these does not bode well.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-10, Bobs <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    >>> Then we have

    >>> Microsoft has postponed broad availability of the first Windows 7 beta in
    >>> order to keep up with anticipated download demand.
    >>>
    >>> Unquote
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/10/winows_7_beta_delay/
    >>>
    >>> That has to be sentence of the month. Far better than some of the stuff I
    >>> read in this ng. ;-

    >> "Microsoft Fucks Up Again" isn't really big news any more...

    > Christ, I have to say I agree with you. MS really should have
    > anticipated the demand. It's not like it is some obscure OS like Linux
    > that no one will use.

    Bobs, how is the breast feeding going at McDondalds these days. Ms Penguin
    is neither obscure, or unsued.

    > Just goes to show that Windows still has the most pulling power, Lawrence.
    >
    > BTW, Windows 7 is excellent and will therefore dissapoint you as it is
    > everything Vista tried to be but sometimes missed.

    No, will Seven (of Nine) have VFS and freedom?

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-10, Bobs <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <49683c26$>, Bobs wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just goes to show that Windows still has the most pulling power, Lawrence.

    >> By the way, Firefox managed last year to set the Guinness World Record for
    >> most-downloaded program in 24 hours. And do it with only a tiny fraction of
    >> the resources available to Microsoft.
    >>
    >> What were you saying about "pulling power"...?

    > And what OS were the majority of those Firefox downloads running off, Larry?

    Robert, you jest. Ms Windows is getting all condensated.

    The point is the Firefox is OSS and has kicked MSIE6 on its way past,
    Google's baby Chrome has joined the race.

    Excellent stuff for the media and the user.

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-10, Bobs <> wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> Bobs wrote:

    >>> And what OS were the majority of those Firefox downloads running off,
    >>> Larry?

    >> And how many were just downloading it again to make the record rather
    >> then being first time users actually interested in trying it out?

    > Well, Larry is deluded anyway so not much point talking to him since he
    > seems to be comparing some puny file to that of a 2.5gb iso. People may
    > put up with 20kb/s download speeds for a 20 meg file, but not something
    > in the gigabytes.

    Roberts, you are drunk.

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <4968609d$>, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> By the way, Firefox managed last year to set the Guinness World Record
    >>> for most-downloaded program in 24 hours. And do it with only a tiny
    >>> fraction of the resources available to Microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> What were you saying about "pulling power"...?

    >> And what OS were the majority of those Firefox downloads running off,
    >> Larry?

    > The one written by the vendor struggling to cope with less than one-third of
    > that number of downloads.

    Never argue with a fool, for then there will be two fools

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-10, Puddle <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> The don't have to, it has been done for them :)

    >> I'm not sure whether that's the official public beta or an earlier build.
    >>
    >> In any case, many people are avoiding the torrents and trying to stick
    >> to "legitimate" channels, without much success (see some of the reader
    >> comments to above). An official torrent file would lay their worries (and
    >> the load on Microsoft's servers) to rest.
    >>

    > Yeah, I do agree with you that they should offer it as a torrent from
    > their own servers along with the traditional http & ftp downloads. One
    > day maybe.
    > Many people would definitely not feel safe downloading a torrent from a
    > site like mininova where you don't know what has been added to the
    > distribution etc.

    And you do not from Ms Windows?

    Has not mininova also got a reputation to uphold

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <49691194$>, Puddle wrote:
    >
    >> Many people would definitely not feel safe downloading a torrent from a
    >> site like mininova where you don't know what has been added to the
    >> distribution etc.

    > Get the torrent from an official site. It's such a tiny file, even
    > Microsoft's servers ought to be able to cope with that.

    let us not also forget the tracking, the load of which is very, very light
    compared to serving the binary.

    Not metioned to date on this ng, is the point that Ms Windows only wishes
    2.5 million downloads. I'll ask her why, next time I see her. After all it
    does expire in 6 mths so what the heck if 456 million people download it?

    Nevermind, Ms Windows is getting old, she is not up with the modern way of
    doing things

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > And another thing <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3317>: it's ironic
    > that Microsoft is distributing its new software in a format that Windows
    > doesn't actually know how to handle. You have to buy or download some
    > third-party utility or other before you can make a DVD out of it.
    >
    > And the sheer size of the download just seems unnecessary. Linux distros
    > long ago figured out how to offer much more full-featured installers in
    > just a few hundred megabytes. How? Because all the rest remains in official
    > repositories on the Internet, to be pulled down only as users ask for it.
    >
    > This is something Microsoft desperately needs to learn how to do: create a
    > modular, agile, extensible operating system. The days of gargantuan,
    > lumbering monoliths are past; the fact that Windows 7 seems to be just
    > another one of these does not bode well.

    But the bottom line wil be

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  20. Microsoft is positioning Windows 7 to be the long-awaited "Linux killer"
    <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=330846&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_feat>,
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/community/?p=151>.

    But then, how many times have we heard this same old story before...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2009