Why don't the rich and famous

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jun 27, 2005

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Ionizer Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    news:Da_ve.4955$...
    > Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    > charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?

    Some do both.

    --
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jun 27, 2005

  3. Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    > charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?

    Most of them do. Perhaps just for the write-off, but regardless of the
    weighing of the reasons the charities still get the money.

    --
    Blinky
    International Thank Your Developers Week - June 20-27, 2005
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 27, 2005
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    WormWood Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    > charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?

    They are probably under a very lucrative contract, arranged by their
    agent with some charity's PR department, to do their 'heart rending'
    appeals. Good publicity as well.

    --
    I could go on and on
    WormWood, Jun 27, 2005
  5. Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    > charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?

    First that's somehow a henn-and-egg problem. Giving away too much (even a
    little too much) won't make one wealthy. Once rich, it's easy to become
    even more famous spending a little bit of the earnings for good reasons and
    relationships.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Jun 27, 2005
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    George Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    > charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?

    I'm assuming that you are referring to the Live8 concerts. I have a
    couple of points I would like to make here. First of all, visit
    www.live8live.com, and you can see clearly on the homepage the words:-
    'We don't want your money - we want you!'

    Secondly, think about it. Imagine all the acts were to give £10 million
    each to the charity. Say, in total, there are 100 acts playing at all
    the concerts. That's £1bn. A LOT of money, by anyones standards. Or take
    the other side of the coin. What the Live8 project is about is
    cancelling third world debt. Any donations are going to be a drop in
    ocean compared to how much money it would take to write off third world
    debt. But there are 8 nations meeting in Scotland next week who have the
    power to do that. The rich and famous have a great deal of influence
    over the public. There will be approx 1 million people gathered between
    the 10 concerts, along with a worldwide TV audience of 2 billion. This
    shows a great deal of support for this cause. So, somebody like Bob
    Geldof could give half his fortune to charity. Or he could bring half
    the worlds population together to do pressure the worlds great powers to
    do something significant. The governments have already started to
    listen; they have agreed to drop the debt for some countries, but more
    needs to be done.

    One final point. Many stars do give a great deal of money to charity.
    David Gilmour, of Pink Floyd (who are re-forming for Live8) sold a house
    for a 7 figure sum recently, and gave ALL of the money to charity. There
    are many other examples of stars giving to charity.

    A bass-players contribution to politics for the week

    George
    George, Jun 27, 2005
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Vanguard Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    > charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?

    Aw, did they forget to put whiny lil you on the charity list?
    Vanguard, Jun 28, 2005
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    FML Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    > charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?

    Some recent expenditures by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
    They've got more money than anybody but they also give away more money
    than anybody:

    * $1 billion over 20 years to establish the Gates Millennium
    Scholarship Program, which will support promising minority students
    through college and some kinds of graduate school.
    * $750 million over five years to the Global Alliance for Vaccines
    and Immunization, which includes the World Health Organization, the
    Rockefeller Foundation, Unicef, pharmaceutical companies and the World Bank.
    * $350 million over three years to teachers, administrators,
    school districts and schools to improve America’s K-12 education,
    starting in Washington State.
    * $200 million to the Gates Library Program, which is wiring
    public libraries in America’s poorest communities in an effort to close
    the “digital divide.”
    * $100 million to the Gates Children’s Vaccine Program, which will
    accelerate delivery of lifesaving vaccines to children in the poorest
    countries of the world.
    * $50 million to the Maternal Mortality Reduction Program, run by
    the Columbia University School of Public Health.
    * $50 million to the Malaria Vaccine Initiative, to conduct
    research on promising candidates for a malaria vaccine.
    * $50 million to an international group called the Alliance for
    the Prevention of Cervical Cancer.
    * $50 million to a fund for global polio eradication, led by the
    World Health Organization, Unicef, Rotary International and the U.N.
    Foundation.
    * $40 million to the International Vaccine Institute, a research
    program based in Seoul, South Korea.
    * $28 million to Unicef for the elimination of maternal and
    neonatal tetanus.
    * $25 million to the Sequella Global Tuberculosis Foundation.
    * $25 million to the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative, which
    is creating coalitions of research scientists, pharmaceutical companies
    and governments in developing countries to look for a safe, effective,
    widely accessible vaccine against AIDS.
    FML, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    > charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?

    Personally, I think Geldof's gone too far this time. All this nonsense about
    the masses "crossing the channel in rowing boats" to bring back people from
    the continent. The man needs his head read. The English Channel is one of -
    if not the - busiest shipping lanes in the world, and it is utter madness to
    encourage the crossing of it in small craft. OK, more fool the people who
    listen to him, but some will. Is he going to pay compensation out of his own
    pocket when the inevitable happens? You can't expect shipping companies to
    stop using it, even for a day, and so the inevitable *WILL* happen...

    He should be locked up in my opinion. I read an article in some magazine (it
    might have been one of the Telegraph colour supplements) with Fifi (poor
    kid, celebs should go on a baby naming course before even being allowed to
    conceive) and even she thinks her father's gone too far this time.

    Power-crazed lunatic...
    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jun 28, 2005
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    uh Clem Guest

    With foot jammed firmly in mouth on Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:43:44 +0100,
    "George" <> mumbled:

    >"Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Why don't the rich and famous give some of the millions they earn to
    >> charity instead of shouting at the masses to pay up?

    >I'm assuming that you are referring to the Live8 concerts. I have a
    >couple of points I would like to make here. First of all, visit
    >www.live8live.com, and you can see clearly on the homepage the words:-
    >'We don't want your money - we want you!'
    >
    >Secondly, think about it. Imagine all the acts were to give £10 million
    >each to the charity. Say, in total, there are 100 acts playing at all
    >the concerts. That's £1bn. A LOT of money, by anyones standards. Or take
    >the other side of the coin. What the Live8 project is about is
    >cancelling third world debt. Any donations are going to be a drop in
    >ocean compared to how much money it would take to write off third world
    >debt. But there are 8 nations meeting in Scotland next week who have the
    >power to do that. The rich and famous have a great deal of influence
    >over the public. There will be approx 1 million people gathered between
    >the 10 concerts, along with a worldwide TV audience of 2 billion. This
    >shows a great deal of support for this cause. So, somebody like Bob
    >Geldof could give half his fortune to charity. Or he could bring half
    >the worlds population together to do pressure the worlds great powers to
    >do something significant. The governments have already started to
    >listen; they have agreed to drop the debt for some countries, but more
    >needs to be done.
    >
    >One final point. Many stars do give a great deal of money to charity.
    >David Gilmour, of Pink Floyd (who are re-forming for Live8) sold a house
    >for a 7 figure sum recently, and gave ALL of the money to charity. There
    >are many other examples of stars giving to charity.
    >
    >A bass-players contribution to politics for the week
    >
    >George

    I know it's not popular, but it needs saying:
    If you borrow money you should pay it back.

    I'm so sorry that these poor countries are so poor, but there is a
    solution. Hint: it's *not* for the west to "help". It's for those who
    want to live better to make their situation better themselves.

    Nothing given and not earned is valued.

    uh Clem

    Join the expectant crowd now at [this area].
    Don't crowd the wheels.

    Talk and debate with me here:
    Usenet:
    alt.politics.libertarian.free-state-project
    uh Clem, Jul 1, 2005