    instance of the browser and paste the link into the address line.

    If the link is a mailto, then a New Message window opens when
    double-clicked, but if the link is a URL then nothing happens.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 9, 2008

  2. Jeff Strickland

    fruitbat Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    news:I1bLj.25621$4Q1.2864@trnddc06...
    > Links that I get in messages (news or mail) in Outlook Express do not open
    > when they are double-clicked.
    >
    > I recently played around with Safari -- a browser from the fine folks over
    > at Apple Systems via the iTunes Automatic Updater -- and when I
    > uninstalled Safari, I found that links no longer open. The links are blue,
    > and underlined, and the cursor changes to a finger when it flies over
    > them, but they do not work. I have to right click and copy the shortcut,
    > then open an instance of the browser and paste the link into the address
    > line.
    >
    > If the link is a mailto, then a New Message window opens when
    > double-clicked, but if the link is a URL then nothing happens.

    Try this:
    In Outlook Express click on Tools then Options then click the Security Tab.
    Now remove any tick next to "Do not allow attachments to be saved or
    opened.."

    See if this helps.

    fruitbat, Apr 10, 2008

  3. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > Links that I get in messages (news or mail) in Outlook Express do not
    > open when they are double-clicked.
    >
    > I recently played around with Safari -- a browser from the fine folks
    > over at Apple Systems via the iTunes Automatic Updater -- and when I
    > uninstalled Safari, I found that links no longer open. The links are
    > blue, and underlined, and the cursor changes to a finger when it flies
    > over them, but they do not work. I have to right click and copy the
    > shortcut, then open an instance of the browser and paste the link into
    > the address line.
    >
    > If the link is a mailto, then a New Message window opens when
    > double-clicked, but if the link is a URL then nothing happens.

    Try this one.

    "Internet shortcuts in Outlook Express do not start Web browser"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177054/en-us

    Maybe something in there will work.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 10, 2008
  4. "fruitbat" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> Links that I get in messages (news or mail) in Outlook Express do not
    >> open when they are double-clicked.
    >>
    >> I recently played around with Safari -- a browser from the fine folks
    >> over at Apple Systems via the iTunes Automatic Updater -- and when I
    >> uninstalled Safari, I found that links no longer open. The links are
    >> blue, and underlined, and the cursor changes to a finger when it flies
    >> over them, but they do not work. I have to right click and copy the
    >> shortcut, then open an instance of the browser and paste the link into
    >> the address line.
    >>
    >> If the link is a mailto, then a New Message window opens when
    >> double-clicked, but if the link is a URL then nothing happens.

    > Try this:
    > In Outlook Express click on Tools then Options then click the Security
    > Tab.
    > Now remove any tick next to "Do not allow attachments to be saved or
    > opened.."
    >
    > See if this helps.

    It didn't help. I had already done that ...

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 10, 2008
  5. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:ftkdjo$12k$...
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> Links that I get in messages (news or mail) in Outlook Express do not
    >> open when they are double-clicked.
    >>
    >> I recently played around with Safari -- a browser from the fine folks
    >> over at Apple Systems via the iTunes Automatic Updater -- and when I
    >> uninstalled Safari, I found that links no longer open. The links are
    >> blue, and underlined, and the cursor changes to a finger when it flies
    >> over them, but they do not work. I have to right click and copy the
    >> shortcut, then open an instance of the browser and paste the link into
    >> the address line.
    >>
    >> If the link is a mailto, then a New Message window opens when
    >> double-clicked, but if the link is a URL then nothing happens.

    > Try this one.
    >
    > "Internet shortcuts in Outlook Express do not start Web browser"
    >
    > Maybe something in there will work.
    >
    > Paul

    Standby ...

    I have to copy and paste the link because it won't start from here.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 10, 2008
  6. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:ftkdjo$12k$...
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> Links that I get in messages (news or mail) in Outlook Express do not
    >> open when they are double-clicked.
    >>
    >> I recently played around with Safari -- a browser from the fine folks
    >> over at Apple Systems via the iTunes Automatic Updater -- and when I
    >> uninstalled Safari, I found that links no longer open. The links are
    >> blue, and underlined, and the cursor changes to a finger when it flies
    >> over them, but they do not work. I have to right click and copy the
    >> shortcut, then open an instance of the browser and paste the link into
    >> the address line.
    >>
    >> If the link is a mailto, then a New Message window opens when
    >> double-clicked, but if the link is a URL then nothing happens.

    > Try this one.
    >
    > "Internet shortcuts in Outlook Express do not start Web browser"
    >
    > Maybe something in there will work.
    >
    > Paul

    That did not fix the trouble, but it did give me an idea.

    I went to Windows Explorer and clicked Tools>Folder Options>File Types, and
    found there was an entry under Registered Extension was NONE and the Opens
    With was Internet Explorer. I went in to edit the action, and found the
    launch command did not contain the path to Internet Explorer.

    I went to the IE Properties (right clicked the icon) and copied the path,
    then pasted it into the launch command (sorry, I forget the precise name of
    the field), then clicked Apply. At first blush, I think the trouble is
    resolved.

    Why do I have dozens of Registered Extensions shown as <quote> {NONE)
    </quote>? How do I delete all of these?

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 10, 2008
  7. Re: Why don't links open from an email message or a news group message? -- FIXED

    > "Paul" <> wrote in message news:ftkdjo$12k$...
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>> Links that I get in messages (news or mail) in Outlook Express do not
    >>> open when they are double-clicked.
    >>>
    >>> I recently played around with Safari -- a browser from the fine folks
    >>> over at Apple Systems via the iTunes Automatic Updater -- and when I
    >>> uninstalled Safari, I found that links no longer open. The links are
    >>> blue, and underlined, and the cursor changes to a finger when it flies
    >>> over them, but they do not work. I have to right click and copy the
    >>> shortcut, then open an instance of the browser and paste the link into
    >>> the address line.
    >>>
    >>> If the link is a mailto, then a New Message window opens when
    >>> double-clicked, but if the link is a URL then nothing happens.

    >> Try this one.
    >>
    >> "Internet shortcuts in Outlook Express do not start Web browser"
    >>
    >> Maybe something in there will work.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > Standby ...
    > I have to copy and paste the link because it won't start from here.

    The link did not solve the problem, but it put me on the right path.

    I found a File Association that was hosed up, and figured out a way to get
    it back.

    I have dozens of Registered Extensions in the File Association dialog that
    are shown as (I'm quoting) {NONE} and are followed with an entry in the
    Opens With column. One of these was an Opens With that was directed to
    Internet Explorer, and the action of Open was not directed to a valid path
    to IEXPLORE.

    Ironically, there was a Registered Extension further down the list that was
    "URL" that also points to IE, and this one has the correct path associated
    with it. (I don't know if this association is a mirror of the one where the
    Registered Extension was {NONE}, or not, so I do not know if it formerly
    held an invalid path that was fixed at the same time.)

    Anyway, file this one away for when your customers can't open links in mail
    or news messages.

    How do I clean up the File Association List? I am not able to delete the
    associations where the Registered Extension is listed as NONE, but I can
    easily delete the ones where the extension is valid. I also have a different
    expereince in editing the associations vis a vis associations that are valid
    and ones that are not valid. The valid associations have an opportunity to
    Reset, and this option is not available on the invalid extensions.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 10, 2008
  8. Jeff Strickland

    HLS Guest

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    I had the same problem with Windows Vista as it came installed in my
    machine.
    Nothing about this POS was very satisfactory, as a matter of fact, and I
    tried every
    tip I could find.

    Finally, I gave up and reinstalled Vista. The problem, and a few more, were
    solved.

    I still dont like Vista (hate it, more properly said) but it has worked much
    better
    after the reinstall.

    Did your machine ever open links from OE?

    HLS, Apr 10, 2008
  9. Re: Why don't links open from an email message or a news group message? -- FIXED

    "HLS" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >>>>>

    > I had the same problem with Windows Vista as it came installed in my
    > machine.
    > Nothing about this POS was very satisfactory, as a matter of fact, and I
    > tried every
    > tip I could find.
    >
    > Finally, I gave up and reinstalled Vista. The problem, and a few more,
    > were solved.
    >
    > I still dont like Vista (hate it, more properly said) but it has worked
    > much better
    > after the reinstall.
    >
    > Did your machine ever open links from OE?

    Yeah, it worked fine.

    I have iTunes on my machine and it goes out for updates from time to time. I
    was offered a browser from Apple that I installed, and then decided I did
    not like to use it for reasons I don't remember now. Anyhow, I unistalled
    the browser and then I could not launch IE from a news or mail message.
    Links from within IE to other sites worked fine, but would IE would not
    launch from a link in an email or news message delivered by OE6.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 10, 2008
  10. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > In Folder Options - File types:
    > The ones with nothing associated are usually a result of another
    > application installing it. Click on one of them - then advanced - and
    > you'll see "open with" or some dll listed. I just clicked on NONE for
    > Internet Explorer ( like yours) and when I click ADVANCED - highlight
    > OPEN - then click EDIT - you'll see:
    > rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
    > so IE has a memory of opening that file to "do something" with the data.

    When I looked at the Advanced options for the open Action, I don't recall
    what was there, but I pasted in the path to Internet Explorer and that
    solved the problem.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 10, 2008