    the bar is at the end and the ring in rolling?
    Sincerely,
    Dima
    Dima, Apr 28, 2008

  2. Searching for what? Indexing took quite a while after I first installed
    Vista but searching is nearly instaneous on my system.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 28, 2008

  3. Dima

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Colin.

    I think I know what Dima is asking and it's something that I've wondered
    about and griped about, too - with no explanation or other feedback from
    Microsoft. (Although I do NOT understand Dima's "the ring in rolling"??)

    When a search is not "nearly instantaneous" it takes nearly forever. The
    green pulsing thermometer (I don't know what else to call it) is drawn, then
    redrawn across the Address Bar. It seems to be logarithmic (although I
    never took enough math to learn what a logarithm is). That is, when you ask
    for an Advanced Search of Computer, the bar first goes half-way across
    fairly quickly. Then it goes more slowly to about 3/4 of the way, appearing
    to redraw the bar every second or so, then more slowly still to 7/8, etc.,
    getting closer to the end with each redraw - but never quite reaching the
    end. I watch hopefully as it gets to the little down-pointing triangle,
    thinking that it will give up when it gets there and report that it can't
    find what it's searching for. But it doesn't. It keeps creeping further,
    past the vertical separator at the end of the Address Bar, and then at a
    maddeningly slow pace across the red "X" and... hours later, the green bar
    is still being redrawn and it STILL hasn't got to the end. :>(

    So far as I know, it has never completed or given up on such a search.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Apr 28, 2008
  4. R.C. . .,

    I've heard of sifting through large amounts of data organized on Logarithmic
    Scales in order to speed things up. . .this sounds more like the
    "All-or-nothing Algoritm" with a revenge!

    This is perplexing - MS has produced many quite sofisticated search and sort
    algoritms that are right there inside the API and ready to use, if you know
    how to use them (which I find troublesome). Something has to have gone very,
    very wrong somewhere!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 28, 2008
  5. I think you're describing the "progress bar." I don't do complex searches
    so I have not seen what you're describing. I do seem to recall that SP1
    addresses something like that, but it may not be much of a change.

    "R. C. White" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Colin.
    >
    > I think I know what Dima is asking and it's something that I've wondered
    > about and griped about, too - with no explanation or other feedback from
    > Microsoft. (Although I do NOT understand Dima's "the ring in rolling"??)
    >
    > When a search is not "nearly instantaneous" it takes nearly forever. The
    > green pulsing thermometer (I don't know what else to call it) is drawn,
    > then redrawn across the Address Bar. It seems to be logarithmic (although
    > I never took enough math to learn what a logarithm is). That is, when you
    > ask for an Advanced Search of Computer, the bar first goes half-way across
    > fairly quickly. Then it goes more slowly to about 3/4 of the way,
    > appearing to redraw the bar every second or so, then more slowly still to
    > 7/8, etc., getting closer to the end with each redraw - but never quite
    > reaching the end. I watch hopefully as it gets to the little
    > down-pointing triangle, thinking that it will give up when it gets there
    > and report that it can't find what it's searching for. But it doesn't.
    > It keeps creeping further, past the vertical separator at the end of the
    > Address Bar, and then at a maddeningly slow pace across the red "X" and...
    > hours later, the green bar is still being redrawn and it STILL hasn't got
    > to the end. :>(
    >
    > So far as I know, it has never completed or given up on such a search.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    >> Searching for what? Indexing took quite a while after I first installed
    >> Vista but searching is nearly instaneous on my system.
    >>
    >> "Dima" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello!
    >>> Why does Windows Vista x64 search so long, especially when the progress
    >>> in the bar is at the end and the ring in rolling?
    >>> Sincerely,
    >>> Dima

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 29, 2008
  6. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Searching for a file or folder.
    "Colin Barnhorst" <> ñîîáùèë/ñîîáùèëà â íîâîñòÿõ
    ñëåäóþùåå: news:...

    Dima, Apr 29, 2008
  7. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Thanks RC for your description!
    That was "The ring is rolling" - a replacement for the sand glass.
    Yes, RC, this is my problem too.
    Sincerely.
    "R. C. White" <> ñîîáùèë/ñîîáùèëà â íîâîñòÿõ ñëåäóþùåå:
    > Hi, Colin.
    >
    > I think I know what Dima is asking and it's something that I've wondered
    > about and griped about, too - with no explanation or other feedback from
    > Microsoft. (Although I do NOT understand Dima's "the ring in rolling"??)
    >
    > When a search is not "nearly instantaneous" it takes nearly forever. The
    > green pulsing thermometer (I don't know what else to call it) is drawn,
    > then redrawn across the Address Bar. It seems to be logarithmic (although
    > I never took enough math to learn what a logarithm is). That is, when you
    > ask for an Advanced Search of Computer, the bar first goes half-way across
    > fairly quickly. Then it goes more slowly to about 3/4 of the way,
    > appearing to redraw the bar every second or so, then more slowly still to
    > 7/8, etc., getting closer to the end with each redraw - but never quite
    > reaching the end. I watch hopefully as it gets to the little
    > down-pointing triangle, thinking that it will give up when it gets there
    > and report that it can't find what it's searching for. But it doesn't.
    > It keeps creeping further, past the vertical separator at the end of the
    > Address Bar, and then at a maddeningly slow pace across the red "X" and...
    > hours later, the green bar is still being redrawn and it STILL hasn't got
    > to the end. :>(
    >
    > So far as I know, it has never completed or given up on such a search.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    >> Searching for what? Indexing took quite a while after I first installed
    >> Vista but searching is nearly instaneous on my system.
    >>
    >> "Dima" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello!
    >>> Why does Windows Vista x64 search so long, especially when the progress
    >>> in the bar is at the end and the ring in rolling?
    >>> Sincerely,
    >>> Dima

    Dima, Apr 29, 2008
  8. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Thanks Colin Barnhorst for replying!
    SP1 did not change this problem.
    Does the simple (not advanced) search go through absolutely all files
    and folders?
    I'm afraid that the simple search takes more time because it searches
    through all file and folder properties instead of only needed.
    Sincerely.

    Dima, Apr 29, 2008
  9. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Have anybody resolved this slow search?
    Sincerely,
    Dima
    > Hi, Colin.
    >
    > I think I know what Dima is asking and it's something that I've wondered
    > about and griped about, too - with no explanation or other feedback from
    > Microsoft. (Although I do NOT understand Dima's "the ring in rolling"??)
    >
    > When a search is not "nearly instantaneous" it takes nearly forever. The
    > green pulsing thermometer (I don't know what else to call it) is drawn,
    > then redrawn across the Address Bar. It seems to be logarithmic (although
    > I never took enough math to learn what a logarithm is). That is, when you
    > ask for an Advanced Search of Computer, the bar first goes half-way across
    > fairly quickly. Then it goes more slowly to about 3/4 of the way,
    > appearing to redraw the bar every second or so, then more slowly still to
    > 7/8, etc., getting closer to the end with each redraw - but never quite
    > reaching the end. I watch hopefully as it gets to the little
    > down-pointing triangle, thinking that it will give up when it gets there
    > and report that it can't find what it's searching for. But it doesn't.
    > It keeps creeping further, past the vertical separator at the end of the
    > Address Bar, and then at a maddeningly slow pace across the red "X" and...
    > hours later, the green bar is still being redrawn and it STILL hasn't got
    > to the end. :>(
    >
    > So far as I know, it has never completed or given up on such a search.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    >> Searching for what? Indexing took quite a while after I first installed
    >> Vista but searching is nearly instaneous on my system.
    >>
    >> "Dima" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello!
    >>> Why does Windows Vista x64 search so long, especially when the progress
    >>> in the bar is at the end and the ring in rolling?
    >>> Sincerely,
    >>> Dima

    Dima, Apr 30, 2008
  10. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Good anecdote Tony!
    "Tony Sperling" <> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ
    ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: news:...

    Dima, May 16, 2008