    partition??
    --
    .. . . If it works ...

    DWade, Jun 10, 2008

  2. Perhaps because xp x64 can't correctly recognize the
    partition identification and just happens to show it as primary?

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 10, 2008

  3. I agree - my Linux Partitions was always displaying as 'Unrecognized', I
    don't remember what color the Patition Manager used as designator, but it is
    probable that it will assume it is a primary since there is nothing else to
    go by.

    This machine happens to be away for repairs at the moment so I cannot check.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 10, 2008
  4. Ahh - and I forgot, you cannot put any data onto an Extended partition, you
    can only use it to create Logical Drives (With a drive letter, in Windows)
    any partition the system finds has to originate from at least one primary
    partition, and the system cannot make guesses - so, not knowing, primary it
    is!

    My best guess!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 10, 2008
  5. DWade

    Carlos Guest

    And these two proggies might come in handy for R/W Linux partitions from
    XP/Vista x64:
    "Ext2 Installable File System For Windows"
    http://www.fs-driver.org/
    and for Read Only:
    "Freeware Linux Reader for Windows"
    http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/
    I could not determine whether this last utility is x64 compatible or not.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 10, 2008
  6. Hello,
    Windows should recognize the partition by the "partition type" read from
    the partition table.
    The partition table contains 4 entries and in one of those entries is the
    partition type field which is what tells the OS what the partition is.
    I have also seen Partition Type called "System ID"
    You would have to dump the partition table and read the four entries to see
    what is listed in the Extended partition and see if there is what Linux has
    placed in there.
    There are quite few different partition types
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 10, 2008
  7. True, Darrell - you can definitely find ways to read the ID's, but in my
    experience Windows Partition Manager won't tell you?

    Tony. . .

    ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Windows should recognize the partition by the "partition type" read from
    > the partition table.
    > The partition table contains 4 entries and in one of those entries is the
    > partition type field which is what tells the OS what the partition is.
    > I have also seen Partition Type called "System ID"
    > You would have to dump the partition table and read the four entries to

    see
    > what is listed in the Extended partition and see if there is what Linux

    has
    > placed in there.
    > There are quite few different partition types
    > Thanks,
    > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    > --------------------
    > | >From: "Tony Sperling" <>
    > | >Subject: Re: Why does Win XP 64 see partitions incorrectly???
    > | >Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:19:49 +0200
    > | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:18081

    Tony Sperling, Jun 11, 2008
  8. Hello,
    It should, but sometimes there is more data in the partition table that it
    expects.
    It also would be good to know what the partition type is, to ensure that we
    are not seeing a case where are partition it not be identified properly or
    the data in the table is corrupted somehow.

    We shouldn't be seeing this in a logical drive in any case anyway, so we
    are reading more from the partition table than we should.
    Since the partition table is supposed to be limited to 4 entries those
    entries are the first three primary partitions and the extended one.
    Where are we reading the information for the Linux partition which would
    make if the fourth primary along with the extended which makes five which
    isn't supposed to be possible?

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 11, 2008
  9. Yes, good point. Seing there's something 'funny' with all of this anyway,
    that is definitely a possible answer. Most Linux installers use some variety
    of GPartEd, but their own private partitioning scheme with the swap
    Partition often being the first primary partition on a drive (good idea
    too, I think) so, you can easily run out of partitions on a dual-boot
    system.

    I have come to the conclusion that Linux on a dual-boot machine, requires
    two HD's! (It doesn't, of course, but it may remove some head-ache.

    > Hello,
    > It should, but sometimes there is more data in the partition table that it
    > expects.
    > It also would be good to know what the partition type is, to ensure that

    we
    > are not seeing a case where are partition it not be identified properly or
    > the data in the table is corrupted somehow.
    >
    > We shouldn't be seeing this in a logical drive in any case anyway, so we
    > are reading more from the partition table than we should.
    > Since the partition table is supposed to be limited to 4 entries those
    > entries are the first three primary partitions and the extended one.
    > Where are we reading the information for the Linux partition which would
    > make if the fourth primary along with the extended which makes five which
    > isn't supposed to be possible?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    > --------------------
    > | >From: "Tony Sperling" <>
    > | >Subject: Re: Why does Win XP 64 see partitions incorrectly???
    > | >Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 01:30:11 +0200
    > | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:18084

    Tony Sperling, Jun 11, 2008
  10. Yes, Carlos, here in Denmark we have a very good Mag ("Alt om Data.") with a
    Linux column in it, and I've actually seen these things mentioned there for
    many years. I've also seen dire warnings about installing those onto a
    Windows system and didn't have the guts at the time to try them out. With
    more experience 'under the hood', now - I think I might take a chance and
    give it a run one day - I have come to develop high regard for the work of
    the OSS community, now - which doesn't in the slightest deminish my regard
    for the good stuff that is still CSS.

    Good stuff can never be bad, even if it happens to carry a MS logo !

    Thanks, for the reminder!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 11, 2008
  11. DWade

    Graham Guest

    Carlos wrote:
    > "Ext2 Installable File System For Windows"
    > http://www.fs-driver.org/

    This works, however, I had a nasty crash using it (on XP x32) with
    TrueCrypt. I was creating a sparse TrueCrypt container, and got an
    instant BSOD in the ext2 driver. On rebooting, it wouldn't: the MBR was
    clobbered. Not difficult to recover from (if you know what you are
    doing), but a PITA nonetheless.

    I would also strongly suggest you don't allow it to assign drive letters
    without asking, as it does it for things which are not ext2 too.

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 11, 2008
  12. DWade

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> DWade
    <> wrote:

    >Why does win xp 64 pro, see an extend linux swap partition as a primary
    >partition??

    It probably IS a primary partition -- You can have up to four primary
    partitions (one of which is normally an extended partition which
    contains one or more logical partitions)

    DevilsPGD, Jun 11, 2008
  13. DWade

    DWade Guest

    Somebody finally get to the correct area at least. My previous post which
    listed my partitions and the words some how got scrambled around where my
    question wasn't asked correctly.
    to re - iterate.
    Partiton 1 --- primary 80 gigs Win XP Pro
    partion 2 --- primary 40 gigs Win XP Pro 64 bit
    partion 3 ---- Primary 18 gigs Linux - Ubuntu 64 bit
    Partion 4 --- secondary 130 gigs -----Supposed to be last primary under MBR
    --GUID can be unlimited. Not using GUID
    logcial drive 1 windows drive D --- Linux sda 5
    Logical drive 2 windows drive E ---- Linux sda 6
    Logical drive 3 windows drive F --- Linux sda 7
    Logical drive 4 window unknow -- Linux sda 8 - Windows XP pro 64 bit --
    Primary no.5

    I have formated that partition from windows. I have formated it from System
    Commander's Partition commander as linux Swap and Wind XP PRO 64 still sees
    it as a Primary...

    --
    .. . . If it works ...

    DWade, Jun 16, 2008
  14. Does it really matter how XP x64 sees the partition?

    Does it cause any problems?

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 16, 2008
  15. DWade

    DWade Guest

    Yes it causes problems.. My backup software Acronis reads the partition and
    errors out do to quote partition errors

    Since windows XP Professional and (Windows Server 2003 / win xp 64 bit) can
    read a hard drive or write to hard drive if it is GUILD formatted as multiple
    primary partitions, I believe the The win xp pro 64 bit, is miss interptiting
    the partition, a flaw in 64 bit xp that needs to be addressed.
    --
    .. . . If it works ...

    DWade, Jun 16, 2008
  16. If it's a bug in XP Pro x64, it would have to be an
    extremely obscure bug. I've been installing and dual
    booting XP x64 and Linux on hard drives for several years
    and I have never encountered this type of situation. Win XP
    x64 indicates the Linux partition is essentially an
    "unrecognized" partition.

    The GUID designation is really odd since it normally can
    only be established on an empty disk. GUID is not a single
    partition option, it's either the whole disk or nothing.
    GUID is the Partition Table - not an individual partition.

    Most likely you have a corrupted MBR giving you the
    erroneous GUID designation.

    Also, the last time I checked Windows XP (32-bit) can't
    recognize a GUID disk.

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 17, 2008
  17. DWade

    DWade Guest

    I thought so too, window xp professional 32 bit can.

    I thought of the mbr and put a nice clean fresh one there

    with a boot disk (fdisk /mbr)
    It must be a bug along with other problems.

    I will retry changing to a fat 32 then EXT3 and the swap again.
    with system commander.

    This could also be a bug with the reading of raid controller software.
    --
    .. . . If it works ...

    DWade, Jun 19, 2008
  18. Actually Windows XP (32-bit) cannot see the GUID partition,
    it sees the legacy MBR that is placed on the disk for
    leagacy OS's:

    Can the 32-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot
    from GUID Partition Table disks?

    No. The 32-bit version will see only the Protective MBR. The
    EE partition will not be mounted or otherwise exposed to
    program software.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302873

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 20, 2008