    ;^)

    ------
    ~IRO

    IRO, Apr 19, 2004

  2. IRO

    Andrew Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:18:27 +1200, IRO <>
    wrote:

    >I stuck Lisa into the Kill fille, but as long as people keep responding
    >to her/him/it that won't do a great deal to improve the signal-to-noise
    >ratio.

    I don't know about your news reader, but in Agent I can killfile
    someone and tell it to ignore any thread they start, which does a good
    job of keeping the group readable.

    Andrew, Apr 19, 2004

  3. IRO

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

    > >I stuck Lisa into the Kill fille, but as long as people keep responding
    > >to her/him/it that won't do a great deal to improve the signal-to-noise
    > >ratio.

    > I don't know about your news reader, but in Agent I can killfile
    > someone and tell it to ignore any thread they start, which does a good
    > job of keeping the group readable.

    Insteresting thought, Andrew. I'll check out the options available in
    MacOSX. Not the sort of feature that would appear in the top 10, but
    bloody valuable, none-the-less.

    ------
    ~IRO

    IRO, Apr 19, 2004
  4. IRO

    Ron Hunter Guest

    IRO wrote:

    > Maybe I've lived a sheltered existance all these years, but I've never
    > seen a NG with as much Xposting as this one. Is this normal?
    >
    > I stuck Lisa into the Kill fille, but as long as people keep responding
    > to her/him/it that won't do a great deal to improve the signal-to-noise
    > ratio.
    >
    > HEY GUYS. Do you bit to discourage trolls and xposters on
    > rec.photo.digital. DON'T RESPOND, DON'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THEY EXIST.
    >
    > ;^)
    >
    > ------
    > ~IRO

    No, some idiots are out to ruin the group for the rest of us. Ignore,
    or better yet filter, them.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 19, 2004
  5. IRO

    Lung Fish Guest

    Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:18:27 +1200, IRO <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I stuck Lisa into the Kill fille, but as long as people keep responding
    >>to her/him/it that won't do a great deal to improve the signal-to-noise
    >>ratio.

    > I don't know about your news reader, but in Agent I can killfile
    > someone and tell it to ignore any thread they start, which does a good
    > job of keeping the group readable.

    Also check XNews. It allows you to remove all cross-posted topics.

    Lung Fish, Apr 19, 2004
  6. IRO

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: IRO

    >Maybe I've lived a sheltered existance all these years, but I've never
    >seen a NG with as much Xposting as this one. Is this normal?

    It's mainly one guy, who used to be on rpe.35mm but migrated here.

    >I stuck Lisa into the Kill fille

    The Hotmail Lisa isn't the real Lisa Horton, it's someone attacking her (and
    several others) by assuming their identities.

    >HEY GUYS. Do you bit to discourage trolls and xposters on
    >rec.photo.digital. DON'T RESPOND

    Good advice, I wish more people would follow it :)

    Bill Hilton, Apr 19, 2004
  7. IRO

    Lisa Horton Guest

    IRO wrote:

    > Maybe I've lived a sheltered existance all these years, but I've never
    > seen a NG with as much Xposting as this one. Is this normal?
    >
    > I stuck Lisa into the Kill fille, but as long as people keep responding
    > to her/him/it that won't do a great deal to improve the signal-to-noise
    > ratio.

    Please note that it is not ME that you put into your killfile, but
    rather a poorly executed impostor.

    > HEY GUYS. Do you bit to discourage trolls and xposters on
    > rec.photo.digital. DON'T RESPOND, DON'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THEY EXIST.

    You mean like you just did? :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Apr 19, 2004
  8. IRO

    Bud Beckman Guest

    IRO wrote:

    > Maybe I've lived a sheltered existance all these years, but I've never
    > seen a NG with as much Xposting as this one. Is this normal?
    >XX<
    > ~IRO

    Notice the subject lines and then the groups posted to. You will find they
    are meant to create controversy, people will vent their view. There are just
    many more users of Usenet that do not know how to use a news reader. Educate
    them, kill the threads, the poster or the OP. Learn the capabilities of
    your news reader and you'll have less problems.

    User of a Oly 5060 and enjoying it. Well, learning to use it.

    Bud Beckman, Apr 19, 2004
  9. IRO

    Tom Monego Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Maybe I've lived a sheltered existance all these years, but I've never
    >seen a NG with as much Xposting as this one. Is this normal?
    >
    >I stuck Lisa into the Kill fille, but as long as people keep responding
    >to her/him/it that won't do a great deal to improve the signal-to-noise
    >ratio.
    >
    >HEY GUYS. Do you bit to discourage trolls and xposters on
    >rec.photo.digital. DON'T RESPOND, DON'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THEY EXIST.
    >
    >;^)
    >
    >------
    >~IRO

    Problem is that wasn't Lisa u, unless she is bipolar. Intellegent photographer
    to spammer doesn't make sense. These are from a Hotmail account.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Apr 19, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    IRO <> wrote:

    > Maybe I've lived a sheltered existance all these years, but I've never
    > seen a NG with as much Xposting as this one. Is this normal?
    >
    > I stuck Lisa into the Kill fille, but as long as people keep responding
    > to her/him/it that won't do a great deal to improve the signal-to-noise
    > ratio.
    >
    > HEY GUYS. Do you bit to discourage trolls and xposters on
    > rec.photo.digital. DON'T RESPOND, DON'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THEY EXIST.
    >
    > ;^)
    >
    > ------
    > ~IRO

    The postings are forged[1]. Do not killfile what appears to be the
    author. A combination of open proxies and Google have been used to
    attack several newsgroups over the past month. A thread that generates
    a lot of replies is pulled from a newsgroup and crossposted. The idea
    is that it will again generate lots of replies and frustrate people. A
    few test newsgroups are thrown in so that news bots will reply to
    confirm delivery.

    I have been sending 10 to 30 complaints daily to Google and the
    operators of unsecured systems. Hopefully somebody will find the true
    source and sue the spammer for every penny and KFC coupon he/she owns.

    [1] George Preddy is the exception. He's a genuine troll.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 20, 2004