Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes work..

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes work on my
    Windows 64bit Edition?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=

    Rick Guest

    Because the computer is smarter than you!

    Mine has been working for some time without any problem!

    Rick, Feb 16, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    If you are using ISA Server, then it's because we (me included) are waiting
    for a 64 bit version of the ISA Server FWC (firewall client). Until MS
    releases a 64 bit version of the FWC, Outlook won't function exactly as you
    expected.

    I have however been able to circumvent the issue by using OWA to get e-mail.
    It may or may not work for you depending on your server setup, but you may
    be able to access your e-mail through IE by going to http://(your server IP
    or server name)/exchange

    Torrey Lauer, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    Thanks Rick, thats extremely helpful.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    Are you using exchange server across the internet?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    Thanks, and OWA does work for me too but it is more limited than OUtlook
    2003. This is another example of a microsoft problem. No one can point the
    fingers at others on this one. Rick, is this a microsoft problem?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006
  7. obviously, because you don't know how to configure it

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006
  8. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    1and1.com 'configures it' but I sure do love watching you guys blame the user
    with something that is your fault.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006
  9. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    And it works perfectly on every other machine I have ever installed it on. I
    think the most frustrating thing is how you guys are so quick to point the
    finger at others but are simply unable to take some responsibility.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=

    Rick Guest

    Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    This probably is a Microsoft problem, but like Torrey says, people are
    waiting for a software update. But, these things don't just appear like
    magic overnight. It always take awhile for the software to catch up
    with the hardware. The hardware has to be there to work with before the
    software can be written. So, it's not the proverbial chicken and egg
    story. You simply cannot develop software without the hardware to run
    it on.

    Rick, Feb 16, 2006
  11. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    No, we're all here, working away in Outlook and Exchange. I _live_ in
    Outlook, and I'm in an Exchange environment. I'm not blaming you, except for
    you being too lazy to actually do what it might take to get it to work. Or
    for not actually _asking_ for any help we might give. Now, if you happen to
    be running in an SBS Exchange environment, there's an RPC patch for SBS that
    solves the problem. If it's something else, you need to stop being a jerk
    and start trying to actually get your system working. Or not. I don't
    actually care, but I don't like to see anyone not having a good experience.
    I've spent literally hundreds of hours here since the release of x64
    Edition, ON MY OWN TIME, not being paid by anyone, to help users with what
    we all knew would be a difficult transition. I've carefully explained to
    many, many people, through my columns, articles, web casts and here, that
    x64 Edition is not for everyone. It is only for those who are willing and
    capable of a fair amount of self support and investigation and patience.
    That being said, I, and the others who have also willingly volunteered their
    time here, have worked with a lot of users who have had problems and helped
    them resolve them. Not because we work for Microsoft. (only Darrell and
    Chuck and a couple of others are Microsoft employees, and they always
    identify themselves as MSFT.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006
  12. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    How could it be MY fault that you can't get something to work? I don't work
    for MS. Now, if you are having problems, perhaps you should actually ask an
    intelligent question, describing your environment, and your problem. And
    then someone _might_ be willing to try to help you.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006
  13. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    I am sorry for being a jerk and will stop.
    I don't know what the deal is with Office 2003. I am pretty sure that if I
    could just get sp3 to install, it would probably fix the outlook 2003
    exchange issue. BUt even after I uninstalled it completely, (even using the
    extra remove utitliy on the disk), and reinstall it, all the updates run
    except sp3. I did some research and tried to do a couple of the registry
    fixes suggest to no avail. ANy suggestions?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006
  14. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    Edited to say (except sp2)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006
  15. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    There is no SP3, so I'm not sure what you're installing. Let's start with
    what version of Office you have (standard, pro, whatever) and what the
    source of it is. And then what the source of your SP is.

    There _is_ a known issue with Exchange and Outlook and some specialized
    situations that requires a patch to ISA, actually. (See my blog - it's in
    there. Search on RPC, that should bring it up.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    Hi Chad: I checked Microsoft's website for Office, and it looks like SP2 is
    the latest SP for Office 2003.

    Do you have a link to where you downloaded SP3 for Office 2003? This may
    help us understand the problem you are having and be able to see if we can
    help get this figured out for you.

    Torrey Lauer, Feb 16, 2006
  17. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    Yea sorry about that, I meant sp2. Sp2 won't install. I use the microsoft
    office's updater. It finds sp2 and downloads it but when I try to run it it
    fails miserably.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006
  18. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    I think it is small business edition.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006
  19. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    Are you on an SBS network? Are you in a Domain environment? What was the
    source of your version of Office?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006
  20. Re: Why does Outlook 2003 on an Exhchange server only sometimes wo

    No I am just on a cable modem using 1and1.com's exchange service services.
    It works perfectly on other computers (this exchange account).

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006