    takes over a minute for MP3 files, and more often than not the transfer
    fails and locks the computer up.

    Why is the internet great, yet the local network so slow?
    mentalguy2004, Mar 4, 2005

  2. mentalguy2004 wrote:
    > I have a linksys router set up for "Mixed" speeds (11g and 54g). My laptop

    The model would help.

    (I am presuming here that you have a Linksys wireless router)

    > keeps the max speed of 11mbps, but my desktop (which is nearer to the
    > router) with a 54g PCI card, is lucky if it gets 2mbps over the LAN. It
    > starts off fine, maxing at 54mbps, and over a few minutes goes down and down
    > to 2mbps where it stays. I've tried every different channel, moved

    And as you don't say which country you are in, no-one can tell you which
    channel you should set it to.

    > everything around in case of interference, disabled encryption, changed the
    > router to 54g only, etc etc. I haven't changed any settings on the desktop
    > although I tried using a 54g USB adapter, which had the same problems. But
    > it says that the internet connection is 100mbps, and the internet works
    > fine, an ADSL speed site said that the desktop is downloading at 1.5mbps
    > which is max for my net connection, yet it's LAN connection is timing out.

    Reset to default settings and read the manual.

    > I can ping the router from here and results are fine, if I ping the desktop
    > from here it either times out or comes back with horrendously slow figures.
    > I even ran a HTTP server on the desktop, and found it quicker to download
    > files from it via online, than to transfer them via the LAN. Via the LAN
    > takes over a minute for MP3 files, and more often than not the transfer
    > fails and locks the computer up.
    >
    > Why is the internet great, yet the local network so slow?

    Probably because you have screwed up the settings.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Brian H¹© wrote:

    > mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a linksys router set up for "Mixed" speeds (11g and 54g). My
    >> laptop

    > The model would help.
    >
    > (I am presuming here that you have a Linksys wireless router)

    Ok, so I slipped up there as I forgot the subject line by the time I
    finished reading the long tale of woe.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005
  4. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >
    >> mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a linksys router set up for "Mixed" speeds (11g and 54g). My
    >>> laptop

    >> The model would help.
    >>
    >> (I am presuming here that you have a Linksys wireless router)
    >>

    > Ok, so I slipped up there as I forgot the subject line by the time I
    > finished reading the long tale of woe.

    Yeah sorry, but I didn't want 300 replies telling me to do what I've already
    done. Too much info better than too little?

    It's a Linksys WRT54G router, and I've already tried resetting it to
    defaults, and reading the manual.
    mentalguy2004, Mar 4, 2005
  5. mentalguy2004

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:00:41 GMT mentalguy2004 wrote:

    > I have a linksys router set up for "Mixed" speeds (11g and 54g). My laptop
    > keeps the max speed of 11mbps, but my desktop (which is nearer to the
    > router) with a 54g PCI card, is lucky if it gets 2mbps over the LAN. It
    > starts off fine, maxing at 54mbps, and over a few minutes goes down and
    > down to 2mbps where it stays. I've tried every different channel, moved
    > everything around in case of interference, disabled encryption, changed
    > the router to 54g only, etc etc. I haven't changed any settings on the
    > desktop although I tried using a 54g USB adapter, which had the same
    > problems. But it says that the internet connection is 100mbps, and the
    > internet works fine, an ADSL speed site said that the desktop is
    > downloading at 1.5mbps which is max for my net connection, yet it's LAN
    > connection is timing out.
    >
    > I can ping the router from here and results are fine, if I ping the
    > desktop from here it either times out or comes back with horrendously slow
    > figures. I even ran a HTTP server on the desktop, and found it quicker to
    > download files from it via online, than to transfer them via the LAN. Via
    > the LAN takes over a minute for MP3 files, and more often than not the
    > transfer fails and locks the computer up.
    >
    > Why is the internet great, yet the local network so slow?

    You have a hotspot and 10,000 people have found it are now linked on your
    system.
    Richard, Mar 4, 2005
  6. mentalguy2004 wrote:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>>The model would help.
    >>>
    >>>(I am presuming here that you have a Linksys wireless router)
    >>>

    >>Ok, so I slipped up there as I forgot the subject line by the time I
    >>finished reading the long tale of woe.
    >>

    > Yeah sorry, but I didn't want 300 replies telling me to do what I've already
    > done. Too much info better than too little?
    >
    > It's a Linksys WRT54G router, and I've already tried resetting it to
    > defaults, and reading the manual.

    Did that include powering it off and pressing the reset button? ;-)

    Anyway, fire up your browser and go to http://192.168.1.1/index.asp

    Are the following true?

    Automatic Configuration - DHCP
    Host Name = (blank field)
    Domain Name = (blank field)

    MTU set to "Auto"
    Local IP = 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.255

    DHCP Server = Enabled

    [Now under Wireless tab]

    Wireless Network Mode = Mixed
    Wireless Channel (set to your country)
    Wireless SSID Broadcast = Enable

    Have you opted for Wireless Security Mode? (ie WEP)

    Wireless MAC Filter set to enable or disable?

    What options do you have for Advanced Wireless Settings?

    --
    That'll do for starters.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005

    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005
  8. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >
    >> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>>Ok, so I slipped up there as I forgot the subject line by the time I
    >>>finished reading the long tale of woe.
    >>>

    >> Yeah sorry, but I didn't want 300 replies telling me to do what I've
    >> already done. Too much info better than too little?
    >>
    >> It's a Linksys WRT54G router, and I've already tried resetting it to
    >> defaults, and reading the manual.

    > Did that include powering it off and pressing the reset button? ;-)
    >
    > Anyway, fire up your browser and go to http://192.168.1.1/index.asp
    >
    > Are the following true?
    >
    > Automatic Configuration - DHCP
    > Host Name = (blank field)
    > Domain Name = (blank field)
    >
    > MTU set to "Auto"
    > Local IP = 192.168.1.1
    > Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.255
    >
    > DHCP Server = Enabled
    >
    > [Now under Wireless tab]
    >
    > Wireless Network Mode = Mixed
    > Wireless Channel (set to your country)
    > Wireless SSID Broadcast = Enable
    >
    > Have you opted for Wireless Security Mode? (ie WEP)
    >
    > Wireless MAC Filter set to enable or disable?
    >
    > What options do you have for Advanced Wireless Settings?
    >
    > --
    > That'll do for starters.

    Yes to all, I reset as per manual, which was holding the button in, the
    advanced options are all set to the default. I am using the Wireless Mac
    Filter although I've had the problem a lot longer than that's been enabled.
    I currently have no encryption as I disabled WEP to see if it made things
    faster, but it didn't. My laptop (11mbps) has no wireless speed issues when
    connecting to a 2nd desktop which is ethernet cabled direct to router.
    mentalguy2004, Mar 4, 2005
  9. "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:00:41 GMT mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a linksys router set up for "Mixed" speeds (11g and 54g). My
    >> laptop
    >> keeps the max speed of 11mbps, but my desktop (which is nearer to the
    >> router) with a 54g PCI card, is lucky if it gets 2mbps over the LAN. It
    >> starts off fine, maxing at 54mbps, and over a few minutes goes down and
    >> down to 2mbps where it stays. I've tried every different channel, moved
    >> everything around in case of interference, disabled encryption, changed
    >> the router to 54g only, etc etc. I haven't changed any settings on the
    >> desktop although I tried using a 54g USB adapter, which had the same
    >> problems. But it says that the internet connection is 100mbps, and the
    >> internet works fine, an ADSL speed site said that the desktop is
    >> downloading at 1.5mbps which is max for my net connection, yet it's LAN
    >> connection is timing out.
    >>
    >> I can ping the router from here and results are fine, if I ping the
    >> desktop from here it either times out or comes back with horrendously
    >> slow
    >> figures. I even ran a HTTP server on the desktop, and found it quicker to
    >> download files from it via online, than to transfer them via the LAN. Via
    >> the LAN takes over a minute for MP3 files, and more often than not the
    >> transfer fails and locks the computer up.
    >>
    >> Why is the internet great, yet the local network so slow?
    >>

    > You have a hotspot and 10,000 people have found it are now linked on your
    > system.

    LOL. Thing is, my wireless laptop works fine on the LAN, so does a 2nd
    desktop connected to the router via cable. It;s just this one desktop which
    is causing problems, which just happens to be the one I use for storage.
    mentalguy2004, Mar 4, 2005
  10. mentalguy2004 wrote:

    > Yes to all, I reset as per manual, which was holding the button in, the
    > advanced options are all set to the default. I am using the Wireless Mac
    > Filter although I've had the problem a lot longer than that's been enabled.
    > I currently have no encryption as I disabled WEP to see if it made things
    > faster, but it didn't. My laptop (11mbps) has no wireless speed issues when
    > connecting to a 2nd desktop which is ethernet cabled direct to router.

    OK, try setting MAC to Disable.
    Also, if you have a *GOOD* firewall on your system, go to the Security
    tab of the router and disable the routers firewall, also tick the box to
    block anonymous internet requests.
    See if that helps.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005
  11. mentalguy2004 wrote:

    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:00:41 GMT mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a linksys router set up for "Mixed" speeds (11g and 54g). My
    >>>laptop
    >>>keeps the max speed of 11mbps, but my desktop (which is nearer to the
    >>>router) with a 54g PCI card, is lucky if it gets 2mbps over the LAN. It
    >>>starts off fine, maxing at 54mbps, and over a few minutes goes down and
    >>>down to 2mbps where it stays. I've tried every different channel, moved
    >>>everything around in case of interference, disabled encryption, changed
    >>>the router to 54g only, etc etc. I haven't changed any settings on the
    >>>desktop although I tried using a 54g USB adapter, which had the same
    >>>problems. But it says that the internet connection is 100mbps, and the
    >>>internet works fine, an ADSL speed site said that the desktop is
    >>>downloading at 1.5mbps which is max for my net connection, yet it's LAN
    >>>connection is timing out.
    >>>
    >>>I can ping the router from here and results are fine, if I ping the
    >>>desktop from here it either times out or comes back with horrendously
    >>>slow
    >>>figures. I even ran a HTTP server on the desktop, and found it quicker to
    >>>download files from it via online, than to transfer them via the LAN. Via
    >>>the LAN takes over a minute for MP3 files, and more often than not the
    >>>transfer fails and locks the computer up.
    >>>
    >>>Why is the internet great, yet the local network so slow?
    >>>

    >>You have a hotspot and 10,000 people have found it are now linked on your
    >>system.
    >>

    > LOL. Thing is, my wireless laptop works fine on the LAN, so does a 2nd
    > desktop connected to the router via cable. It;s just this one desktop which
    > is causing problems, which just happens to be the one I use for storage.

    As you appear to have been having the same problem when using WEP
    encryption, I doubt that is what has happened, ofcourse, if you have a
    normal firewall with good logging, you will be able to tell if you are
    getting "illegal" traffic, and rule that out ;-)
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005
  12. Brian H¹© wrote:

    > As you appear to have been having the same problem when using WEP
    > encryption, I doubt that is what has happened, ofcourse, if you have a
    > normal firewall with good logging, you will be able to tell if you are
    > getting "illegal" traffic, and rule that out ;-)

    (piggy-backed)
    Er, sod off Richard, you are disrupting my train of thought.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005
  13. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >

    >> Yes to all, I reset as per manual, which was holding the button in, the
    >> advanced options are all set to the default. I am using the Wireless Mac
    >> Filter although I've had the problem a lot longer than that's been
    >> enabled. I currently have no encryption as I disabled WEP to see if it
    >> made things faster, but it didn't. My laptop (11mbps) has no wireless
    >> speed issues when connecting to a 2nd desktop which is ethernet cabled
    >> direct to router.

    > OK, try setting MAC to Disable.
    > Also, if you have a *GOOD* firewall on your system, go to the Security tab
    > of the router and disable the routers firewall, also tick the box to block
    > anonymous internet requests.
    > See if that helps.

    Yep, tried that, no difference.
    mentalguy2004, Mar 4, 2005
  14. mentalguy2004 wrote:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes to all, I reset as per manual, which was holding the button in, the
    >>>advanced options are all set to the default. I am using the Wireless Mac
    >>>Filter although I've had the problem a lot longer than that's been
    >>>enabled. I currently have no encryption as I disabled WEP to see if it
    >>>made things faster, but it didn't. My laptop (11mbps) has no wireless
    >>>speed issues when connecting to a 2nd desktop which is ethernet cabled
    >>>direct to router.

    >>OK, try setting MAC to Disable.
    >>Also, if you have a *GOOD* firewall on your system, go to the Security tab
    >>of the router and disable the routers firewall, also tick the box to block
    >>anonymous internet requests.
    >>See if that helps.

    > Yep, tried that, no difference.

    Ok, just to get myself straight... your other wireless/wireless
    connections are ok, but the pc you are having problems is connected via
    cable (you mentioned USB earlier?
    Have you tried connecting to another port on the back of the router?
    If I've misread, and this pc is also a wireless setup, can you try a
    cable connection and see if things improve?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005
  15. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >
    >> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>>OK, try setting MAC to Disable.
    >>>Also, if you have a *GOOD* firewall on your system, go to the Security
    >>>tab of the router and disable the routers firewall, also tick the box to
    >>>block anonymous internet requests.
    >>>See if that helps.

    >> Yep, tried that, no difference.

    > Ok, just to get myself straight... your other wireless/wireless
    > connections are ok, but the pc you are having problems is connected via
    > cable (you mentioned USB earlier?
    > Have you tried connecting to another port on the back of the router?
    > If I've misread, and this pc is also a wireless setup, can you try a cable
    > connection and see if things improve?

    OK, I have 1 desktop connected via cable, works fine. 1 wireless laptop
    works fine, 1 wireless desktop having problems. I haven't tried a cable
    conection with the wireless desktop, it means a lot of faffing around at the
    moment. Laptop works fine with cable connection too, but is usually wireless
    and trouble-free.

    The wireless desktop is using a Linksys 54g wireless PCI card, but I also
    tried a Linksys USB 54g adaptor on it with no improvement in speed which
    makes me think the desktop is the problem here.
    mentalguy2004, Mar 4, 2005
  16. mentalguy2004 wrote:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>>Yep, tried that, no difference.

    >>Ok, just to get myself straight... your other wireless/wireless
    >>connections are ok, but the pc you are having problems is connected via
    >>cable (you mentioned USB earlier?
    >>Have you tried connecting to another port on the back of the router?
    >>If I've misread, and this pc is also a wireless setup, can you try a cable
    >>connection and see if things improve?

    > OK, I have 1 desktop connected via cable, works fine. 1 wireless laptop
    > works fine, 1 wireless desktop having problems. I haven't tried a cable
    > conection with the wireless desktop, it means a lot of faffing around at the
    > moment. Laptop works fine with cable connection too, but is usually wireless
    > and trouble-free.
    >
    > The wireless desktop is using a Linksys 54g wireless PCI card, but I also
    > tried a Linksys USB 54g adaptor on it with no improvement in speed which
    > makes me think the desktop is the problem here.

    It could be that the PCI card is faulty, and using USB does tend to
    degrade speed.

    Erm... just to throw another spanner in the works, does/do the drive(s)
    on the problem pc have (U)DMA turned on?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005
  17. mentalguy2004

    neville Guest

    What?

    neville, Mar 4, 2005
  18. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > mentalguy2004 wrote:
    >
    >> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>>Ok, just to get myself straight... your other wireless/wireless
    >>>connections are ok, but the pc you are having problems is connected via
    >>>cable (you mentioned USB earlier?
    >>>Have you tried connecting to another port on the back of the router?
    >>>If I've misread, and this pc is also a wireless setup, can you try a
    >>>cable connection and see if things improve?

    >> OK, I have 1 desktop connected via cable, works fine. 1 wireless laptop
    >> works fine, 1 wireless desktop having problems. I haven't tried a cable
    >> conection with the wireless desktop, it means a lot of faffing around at
    >> the moment. Laptop works fine with cable connection too, but is usually
    >> wireless and trouble-free.
    >>
    >> The wireless desktop is using a Linksys 54g wireless PCI card, but I also
    >> tried a Linksys USB 54g adaptor on it with no improvement in speed which
    >> makes me think the desktop is the problem here.

    > It could be that the PCI card is faulty, and using USB does tend to
    > degrade speed.
    >
    > Erm... just to throw another spanner in the works, does/do the drive(s) on
    > the problem pc have (U)DMA turned on?

    Brian, thanks a lot for your help, I'm not sure about the UDMA settings... I
    did however download a 3rd party firmware update for the router, have set it
    all up again and I'm actually getting 18mbps on the "dodgy" desktop which is
    a vast improvement, and I'm managing to transfer files without errors. If
    you do have any other ideas, I'd like to hear them as I still don't think
    it's working as it should. Thanks again.
    mentalguy2004, Mar 4, 2005
  19. mentalguy2004

    Jerry G. Guest

    Are you running a firewall software, or the XP firewall in your computers,
    at the same time as being on the router. You have to disable the firewall in
    your computers, since the router has one. Multiple firewalls can cause what
    you are describing.

    The firewall in your router is much better to use than the software one in
    your computer. The firewall in the computer will drastically slow things
    down for you.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Mar 4, 2005
  20. mentalguy2004 wrote:

    > Brian, thanks a lot for your help, I'm not sure about the UDMA settings... I

    You're welcome.

    > did however download a 3rd party firmware update for the router, have set it
    > all up again and I'm actually getting 18mbps on the "dodgy" desktop which is
    > a vast improvement, and I'm managing to transfer files without errors. If

    "better" is good :)

    > you do have any other ideas, I'd like to hear them as I still don't think
    > it's working as it should. Thanks again.

    You might like to visit http://www.pcpitstop.com and benchtest your
    system(s), you might get a result.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 4, 2005