Why does my system keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by RMW Jervis, May 6, 2004.

  1. RMW Jervis

    RMW Jervis Guest

    I built a computer up for a friend's daughter as a Christmas present but it
    keeps crashing on a regular basis. The windows error report comes back
    saying it is a driver problem. I have downloaded and installed as many
    updated drivers as I can find, but I still have the problem. How accurate
    are these windows error reports?

    I was wondering if the problem could be due to overheating, although when I
    check the temperature in the bios immediately after crashing neither the
    processor nor system is over about 55 degrees. I have looked in the bios and
    it tells me my system fan isn't working although all the fans in the machine
    are clearly working. why would this happen and which fan would you call the
    system fan?

    I have one on the video card, one on the processor, one on the power supply
    and an extra fan I connected to the vent at the back of the case.

    If it is any help I have included a list of the components below.
    Motherboard- Gigabyte 7N400E-L SKT .
    Memory- Corsair (VS512MB266) 512MB DDR226 PC2100
    Video Card- Leadtek Winfast A340-T128mFX5200 128mb DDR full direct X 9
    Processor- AMD Athlon XP24000 266Mhz 256Cache Thouroughbred

    I would really appreciate some help on this,

    Thanks
    Wayne

    RMW Jervis, May 6, 2004

  2. RMW Jervis

    msi Guest

    "RMW Jervis" <> wrote in message
    > I built a computer up for a friend's daughter as a Christmas present but

    it
    > keeps crashing on a regular basis. The windows error report comes back
    > saying it is a driver problem. I have downloaded and installed as many
    > updated drivers as I can find, but I still have the problem. How accurate
    > are these windows error reports?
    >
    > I was wondering if the problem could be due to overheating, although when

    > check the temperature in the bios immediately after crashing neither the
    > processor nor system is over about 55 degrees. I have looked in the bios

    and
    > it tells me my system fan isn't working although all the fans in the

    machine
    > are clearly working. why would this happen and which fan would you call

    the
    > system fan?
    >
    > I have one on the video card, one on the processor, one on the power

    supply
    > and an extra fan I connected to the vent at the back of the case.
    >
    > If it is any help I have included a list of the components below.
    > Motherboard- Gigabyte 7N400E-L SKT .
    > Memory- Corsair (VS512MB266) 512MB DDR226 PC2100
    > Video Card- Leadtek Winfast A340-T128mFX5200 128mb DDR full direct X

    9
    > Processor- AMD Athlon XP24000 266Mhz 256Cache Thouroughbred
    >
    > I would really appreciate some help on this,
    >
    > Thanks
    > Wayne

    The bios saying the system fan is not working to me means you should try to
    update the bios asap. The system fan could be the cpu fan or the power
    supply fan. i don't know which it is talking about. One of the fans might
    not be plugged into the motherboard correctly also if the bios says it's not
    working. The system fan could also be the fan on the motherboard itself
    covering the chipset if it has one. Not a cpu fan, or a video fan or psu,
    but it would be on the motherboard itself somewhere. some have them and some
    don't. But it's possible some fan may not be plugged into the mobo
    correctly.

    The error report is accurate. If you get a device driver error then it might
    tell you what caused it. for me it would say nvidia which means the video
    card. so i took the video card back and got an ATI Radeon 9700 pro and the
    problem went away. So that is something to look at also.

    msi, May 6, 2004

  3. RMW Jervis

    Thor Guest

    "RMW Jervis" <> wrote in message
    > I built a computer up for a friend's daughter as a Christmas present but

    it
    > keeps crashing on a regular basis. The windows error report comes back
    > saying it is a driver problem. I have downloaded and installed as many
    > updated drivers as I can find, but I still have the problem. How accurate
    > are these windows error reports?
    >
    > I was wondering if the problem could be due to overheating, although when

    > check the temperature in the bios immediately after crashing neither the
    > processor nor system is over about 55 degrees.

    Does seem a tad warm to me for a T-bred chip, My XP2100 T-bred runs about
    45C. But yours is not in typical lockup territory (~65+). Still, it depends
    on how much the thing has a chance to cool down by the time you check the
    BIOS temp after a lockup. Your CPU fan/heatsink may not be doing a very
    effective job. I would advise using a temperature monitoring program in
    windows, that way you can see how hot the thing is getting more easily from
    time to time.

    > I have looked in the bios and
    > it tells me my system fan isn't working although all the fans in the

    machine
    > are clearly working. why would this happen and which fan would you call

    the
    > system fan?

    The system fan is usually either an auxilliary case fan or the power supply
    fan (if externally powered), whichever is plugged into the system fan plug
    on the motherboard. However, many case fans, and power supplies don't have
    RPM monitoring, so even though the fan may be running, the motherboard
    cannot tell without the tachometer circuit on the fan. If the case fan you
    have plugged into the motherboard only has two wires, then it doesn't have a
    tachometer circuit. If the fan has 3 wires, it should have a tach circuit,
    and the motherboard should then get a reading from it.

    > I have one on the video card, one on the processor, one on the power

    supply
    > and an extra fan I connected to the vent at the back of the case.
    >
    > If it is any help I have included a list of the components below.
    > Motherboard- Gigabyte 7N400E-L SKT .
    > Memory- Corsair (VS512MB266) 512MB DDR226 PC2100
    > Video Card- Leadtek Winfast A340-T128mFX5200 128mb DDR full direct X

    9
    > Processor- AMD Athlon XP24000 266Mhz 256Cache Thouroughbred
    >
    > I would really appreciate some help on this,

    Give us the exact error messages you are getting, to start with.

    Thor, May 6, 2004
  4. RMW Jervis

    RMW Jervis Guest

    Thanks to you and the other Newsgroup reader who replied, for your advice.
    at least I will have something to try now. I have been at a loose end with
    it lately, not knowing what to do.
    It was getting to the stage where I was going to buy her a factory made
    machine and use hers to upgrade my machine. it still may happen if I cant
    get a result.

    ...................................Wayne.....................................

    RMW Jervis, May 7, 2004
  5. RMW Jervis

    Michael-NC Guest

    Check the bios settings and see if you have anything set to agressive. Also
    run Memtest86.

    "RMW Jervis" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to you and the other Newsgroup reader who replied, for your advice.
    > at least I will have something to try now. I have been at a loose end with
    > it lately, not knowing what to do.
    > It was getting to the stage where I was going to buy her a factory made
    > machine and use hers to upgrade my machine. it still may happen if I cant
    > get a result.

    ...................................Wayne.....................................

    Michael-NC, May 7, 2004
  6. RMW Jervis

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 6 May 2004 07:33:39 +0100, "RMW Jervis" <>
    wrote:

    >I built a computer up for a friend's daughter as a Christmas present but it
    >keeps crashing on a regular basis.

    Describe 'crashing'.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©