    --
    A good summary of my beliefs:
    http://www.upci.org/doctrine
    Indigo Moon Man, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Indigo Moon Man

    dantu Guest

    Indigo Moon Man wrote:

    > I'm using Kerio personal firewall and it show mozilla as having 2 outgoing
    > connections, 1 incoming connection plus listening on another port. Why the
    > need for one app to have so many connections? Thanks!

    Indigo

    Is one port the port that controls the connection perhaps? There
    has to be a means of the ISP finding out that you are till there and the
    IP assigned is in use.
    Additionally, email is on one port and web use is on another. Most
    other facets of communication will also add to your port tally, ie. one
    port for www, one port for email, one port for newsgroups, one port for
    secure newsgroups, one port for ICQ (Or other IM), and so forth. You
    could conceivably get reports of five, or even a dozen ports open (or
    being listened to) dependent on what you are connected to.
    dantu, Oct 7, 2003

  3. dantu <> spake thusly:
    > Indigo
    >
    > Is one port the port that controls the connection perhaps? There
    > has to be a means of the ISP finding out that you are till there and the
    > IP assigned is in use.
    > Additionally, email is on one port and web use is on another. Most
    > other facets of communication will also add to your port tally, ie. one
    > port for www, one port for email, one port for newsgroups, one port for
    > secure newsgroups, one port for ICQ (Or other IM), and so forth. You
    > could conceivably get reports of five, or even a dozen ports open (or
    > being listened to) dependent on what you are connected to.

    Yeah, I understand about all those. The ones I'm talking about though are
    all open by mozilla according to kerio. There are other ones for email and
    stuff. I usully see about 12 connections all totaled usually.

    --
    A good summary of my beliefs:
    http://www.upci.org/doctrine
    Indigo Moon Man, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Indigo Moon Man <> spake thusly:
    > dantu <> spake thusly:
    >> Indigo
    >>
    >> Is one port the port that controls the connection perhaps? There
    >> has to be a means of the ISP finding out that you are till there and the
    >> IP assigned is in use.
    >> Additionally, email is on one port and web use is on another. Most
    >> other facets of communication will also add to your port tally, ie. one
    >> port for www, one port for email, one port for newsgroups, one port for
    >> secure newsgroups, one port for ICQ (Or other IM), and so forth. You
    >> could conceivably get reports of five, or even a dozen ports open (or
    >> being listened to) dependent on what you are connected to.

    > Yeah, I understand about all those. The ones I'm talking about though are
    > all open by mozilla according to kerio. There are other ones for email
    > and stuff. I usully see about 12 connections all totaled usually.

    Also, in mozilla I am only using the browser, I use other stuff for email
    and newsgroups.

    --
    A good summary of my beliefs:
    http://www.upci.org/doctrine
    Indigo Moon Man, Oct 7, 2003
  5. Indigo Moon Man

    dantu Guest

    Indigo Moon Man wrote:
    > Indigo Moon Man <> spake thusly:
    >
    >>dantu <> spake thusly:
    >>
    >>>Indigo
    >>>
    >>> Is one port the port that controls the connection perhaps? There
    >>>has to be a means of the ISP finding out that you are till there and the
    >>>IP assigned is in use.
    >>> Additionally, email is on one port and web use is on another. Most
    >>>other facets of communication will also add to your port tally, ie. one
    >>>port for www, one port for email, one port for newsgroups, one port for
    >>>secure newsgroups, one port for ICQ (Or other IM), and so forth. You
    >>>could conceivably get reports of five, or even a dozen ports open (or
    >>>being listened to) dependent on what you are connected to.

    >>Yeah, I understand about all those. The ones I'm talking about though are
    >>all open by mozilla according to kerio. There are other ones for email
    >>and stuff. I usully see about 12 connections all totaled usually.

    > Also, in mozilla I am only using the browser, I use other stuff for email
    > and newsgroups.

    Indigo

    Well maybe if you told us what ports they were, we could answer
    more specifically.
    dantu, Oct 7, 2003
  6. Indigo Moon Man

    Night_Seer Guest

    Go to http://grc.com/ and run the port scan. There is also a function there
    that will tell you about most ports and what they are usually used for.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 7, 2003