Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine after updating. I know it's ju

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dirkley Diggler, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
    after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

    Dirkley Diggler, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Dirkley Diggler

    Ionizer Guest

    "Dirkley Diggler" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
    > after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

    In what way is it "junk?" Please provide a couple of links to support
    your claim.

    Thanks,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Dirkley Diggler

    Donald Guest

    All do virus definitions install update reg ect..

    Donald, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Dirkley Diggler

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
    > after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

    Mine versions 6, 7 and 8 never made me reboot after an update. An upgrade,
    yes. But a basic, everyday virus data file update, never.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Dirkley Diggler

    pcbutts1 Guest

    To replace the files that are in use that it needs to update.

    pcbutts1, Jun 10, 2005
  6. On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:27:15 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dirkley Diggler" <> wrote in message
    >> Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
    >> after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

    >Mine versions 6, 7 and 8 never made me reboot after an update. An upgrade,
    >yes. But a basic, everyday virus data file update, never.

    Right, thats what I mean... It's a damn pain

    Dirkley Diggler, Jun 10, 2005
  7. Dirkley Diggler

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:27:15 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Dirkley Diggler" <> wrote in message
    >>> Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
    >>> after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

    >>Mine versions 6, 7 and 8 never made me reboot after an update. An upgrade,
    >>yes. But a basic, everyday virus data file update, never.
    >>

    > Right, thats what I mean... It's a damn pain

    Yeah? How often do you upgrade? Jeez...once a year should be max. Heck, I
    don't even do that if the the old software can still be updated.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 10, 2005
  8. Dirkley Diggler

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Dirkley Diggler" wrote in message

    > Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your
    > machine after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

    That would be so it could carry out the contents of...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

    to replace files that are currently in use / locked by the application /
    operating system. The alternative, which can be controlled by ePolicy
    Orchestrator if you're in a corporate environment, is to temporarily suspend
    the scanning service (thereby unloading / unlocking files), upgrade and
    re-start the service.

    Dave Lear, Jun 11, 2005