    Why would a fault with the CD drive stop boot up?

    These are plain vanilla drives and I had not anticipated a problem.

    Charlie

    Charlie Bress, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Most modern PC's can boot from a CD-ROM and are configured to do so if
    they find one. If your machine somehow thought that the CD had a disk
    in it, it would try booting from it. You can change the order in which
    potential boot devices get examined in the CMOS.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Charlie Bress

    JabberSmith Guest

    "Charlie Bress" <> wrote in message
    > After getting his beat up old system running again, my neighbor managed to
    > walk into the CD when the slide was out and creamed it.
    >
    > No biggy I figured, I've got one in the salvage pile.
    >
    > Not so fast. With W98 the box would not boot with the replacement drive.

    It
    > would start Windows, but it would freeze before the desktop came up.
    > Looking at the device manager list the original broken drive was listed.
    > Removed that and no boot persisted
    >
    > Removed the replacement CD and boot up was normal.
    >
    > The selector jumper on the broken drive had been set to master. the
    > replacement was set to cable select. neither position worked.
    >
    > Would slave had made a difference?
    > Why would a fault with the CD drive stop boot up?
    >
    > These are plain vanilla drives and I had not anticipated a problem.
    >
    > Charlie

    It sounds like your hardware installation of the spare drive did not go
    correctly. (Assuming you never see the boot screen for your OS)

    Here is the proper configuration for most IDE setups:

    1 cable 1 drive, NO JUMPERS

    1 cable, 2 drives, one on master, one on slave.

    Never use Cable Select unless you know for sure your specific system
    requires it. I have mucked around inside 100s of PCs and never once run
    into it.

    How you order master/slave probably does not matter for the CD rom drive.
    In your case, the old (wrecked) drive probably worked both ways (master
    jumper or no). Some drives are more fussy about it.

    So take out the jumper and tape it to the back/bottom of the drive so you
    see it the next time the case is open (they get lost otherwise).

    JabberSmith, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Charlie Bress

    peter roxby Guest

    Install uninstall the old drivers install the new drivers then change the
    settings of your bios so that it boots up the new cd or may be do the bios
    changes before so it doesn't boot the cd at all then install the new cd rom

    peter roxby, Sep 18, 2003