  1. Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
    the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
    60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, May 26, 2005

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Harry Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
    > the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
    > 60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

    He has become old. Being rich does not keep cancer, senility,
    Parkinsons, or numerous other degenerative diseases at bay.
    One day it might, but not today.

    Too many Big Macs is probably the real reason for the premature aging.
    Too many Linuxs too?

    Harry, May 26, 2005

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    thing Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
    > the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
    > 60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

    I noticed this....interesting that the figurehead of MS looks so old,
    suggests its products are old and staid as well...

    Whatever MS's spin doctors say, anyone can see MS is under heavy and
    increasing pressure from all sides. It is in effect fighting for its
    "life" which is compounded by its need to constantly grow (and possibly
    accelerate that growth) and not just sit there and rake it in.

    Linux has to be a huge worry for MS, its infesting new markets at lower
    price points than MS can. Linux's commodity nature means no nice new
    cash cows for MS, it has to be happy with margins like the rest of the
    IT/tellecoms industry but its not geared for that.

    So I think I'd have a few lines as well....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, May 26, 2005
  4. Hi there,

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
    > the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
    > 60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

    Oh, the usual....plotting to take over the world via patenting every
    known thought, so that everytime we think we owe him a license fee...

    The patenting drama, the OSS threat, the continual security problems
    Windows has, and all the other big players seem out to get MS...its
    not surprising to me to see Bill looking like that, but with his way
    of running his monolithic tyrannical empire what else can he expect?

    Take the dual-shock controller debacle...Immersion, a company who had
    been granted a patent for 'tactile response' devices, or something as
    vague, took MS and Sony to court. MS payed out of court to the tune of
    $26 million, then took a 10% share in Immersion. Sony stood up for its
    rights, and let the courts decide. Only issue was that as soon as MS
    took up the 10% share in Immersion they helped up the campaign against
    Sony, since they now had a share in Immersion.

    How fucking rotten are they? They and Sony are BOTH taken to court for
    the same thing, so they squeal out of court, take a 10% share in the
    prosecuting client, then turn on Sony...all it will do is hurt the
    gaming industry and themselves, for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
    support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
    XBox...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, May 26, 2005
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Nova Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
    > the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
    > 60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

    Yep well earned lines I guess, hes done pretty well for himself :) and
    it's no secret he's a bit of a workaholic, just the ageing process at work.

    Ashame he's not the type of person that can just kick back and enjoy his
    wealth.

    Nova, May 27, 2005
  6. Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
    > support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
    > XBox...

    interesting comments on two un-released products.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 27, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
    >> support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
    >> XBox...

    > interesting comments on two un-released products.

    But backed up by comments from game developers lately, including Midway.
    The titles available make the machine.

    Nik Coughin, May 27, 2005
  8. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Nova Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
    >> support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
    >> XBox...

    > interesting comments on two un-released products.

    I doubt sony would consider losing what is it 20%? of the market share
    to xbox a mopping of the floor..

    and it doesnt look like xbox is only aimed at being a games console, but
    rather a media centre, will be interesting to see how things turn out.

    Nova, May 27, 2005
  9. Hi there,

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
    >> support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
    >> XBox...

    > interesting comments on two un-released products.

    A comment based on forum discussion about the 2 consoles, which
    seems to lean towards gamers showing bias towards eventually
    getting the PS3

    Sony has shown very well that the solid, but 'lesser' spec of the
    PS2, meant nothing when it came to putting consoles and games into
    homes, which they have done with greater success than MS...

    Chris Wilkinson, May 27, 2005
  10. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>> for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
    >>> support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
    >>> XBox...

    >> interesting comments on two un-released products.

    > I doubt sony would consider losing what is it 20%? of the market share
    > to xbox a mopping of the floor..
    >
    > and it doesnt look like xbox is only aimed at being a games console, but
    > rather a media centre, will be interesting to see how things turn out.

    It may prove to a DRM-crippled media centre.....if not now then soon.

    You'd want to be very careful about investing in tools if someone else
    is dictating how you may use them.

    steve, May 27, 2005
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Nova Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> interesting comments on two un-released products.

    >> I doubt sony would consider losing what is it 20%? of the market share
    >> to xbox a mopping of the floor..
    >>
    >> and it doesnt look like xbox is only aimed at being a games console,
    >> but rather a media centre, will be interesting to see how things turn
    >> out.

    > It may prove to a DRM-crippled media centre.....if not now then soon.
    >
    > You'd want to be very careful about investing in tools if someone else
    > is dictating how you may use them.

    Yes you are right, _I_ would, but would the average consumer? that
    probably has no idea what DRM is? Two completely different things.

    I do however like the idea, of being able to buy this xbox and stream
    videos etc wirelessly from other pc's in the house to my tv. That for
    me would be a big selling point. I am pretty sure others would feel the
    same way over a feature like that. I think it's a pretty smart move by
    MS.

    I will wait and see what kind of MOD chips arrive for this new xbox and
    what kind of restrictions are on this xbox and of coruse for the price
    to drop to a reasonable level heh.

    Nova, May 27, 2005
  12. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:02:47 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
    >the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
    >60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

    How old is he then?
    Older than me so probably in his 50's. I would not be suprised if he
    was pushing 60.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Knox, May 28, 2005
  13. On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:17:32 +1200, Bruce Knox <>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:02:47 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
    >>the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
    >>60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

    > How old is he then?
    > Older than me so probably in his 50's. I would not be suprised if he
    > was pushing 60.
    >
    > Bruce.

    Think about it. Nobody is young forever - or looks it. Maybe he looks
    his age because he is Bill Gates, human being and not Peter fucking Pan,
    fairytale character.

    <SHEESH>

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... Why is it that those with the least intelligence have the loudest
    voices? Because that's ALL they have.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 28, 2005
  14. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Nova wrote:

    > I do however like the idea, of being able to buy this xbox and stream
    > videos etc wirelessly from other pc's in the house to my tv. That for
    > me would be a big selling point. I am pretty sure others would feel the
    > same way over a feature like that. I think it's a pretty smart move by MS.

    But its been possible for years.

    In 1999 I was connecting my 20" TV to a PC via the TV-out plug and then
    playing VCDs over the network from the CD drive in another room.

    It wan't hard, either.......point and click to a file on a shared (cd)
    drive.

    steve, May 28, 2005
  15. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Nova Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> I do however like the idea, of being able to buy this xbox and stream
    >> videos etc wirelessly from other pc's in the house to my tv. That for
    >> me would be a big selling point. I am pretty sure others would feel
    >> the same way over a feature like that. I think it's a pretty smart
    >> move by MS.

    > But its been possible for years.
    >
    > In 1999 I was connecting my 20" TV to a PC via the TV-out plug and then
    > playing VCDs over the network from the CD drive in another room.
    >
    > It wan't hard, either.......point and click to a file on a shared (cd)
    > drive.

    You are missing the point, people dont usually have their pc's next to
    the main tv in the lounge, they do however probably have their game
    console out there.

    Nova, May 28, 2005
  16. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:17:32 +1200, Bruce Knox <>
    > wrote in <news:>:
    >

    >>On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:02:47 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
    >>>the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
    >>>60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

    >>How old is he then?
    >>Older than me so probably in his 50's. I would not be suprised if he
    >>was pushing 60.
    >>
    >>Bruce.

    > Think about it. Nobody is young forever - or looks it. Maybe he looks
    > his age because he is Bill Gates, human being and not Peter fucking Pan,
    > fairytale character.
    >
    > <SHEESH>

    Rule of Life

    You Get Born
    You Live
    You Die

    or helth the slowest rate of diying.

    and you start with Nothing ans finish with nothing.

    Now just how old is Gates? I dont know but he was way older than me.
    Some times the stress of running a big bussness causes one to looked
    aged mabey the PR dept has mad him look old (woo and cham the coustomers).

    but from what I have seen it is proberly just a natural effect of real;
    aging all of the photos I have seen of Gates seem to be natural even to
    the point of not waring very expencive cloths.

    Just my two cents worth

    Robert Cooze, May 28, 2005
  17. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Jerry Guest

    Bruce Knox wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:02:47 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >

    >>Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
    >>the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
    >>60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

    > How old is he then?
    > Older than me so probably in his 50's. I would not be suprised if he
    > was pushing 60.

    Bill Gates was born 28 October, 1955, so he will turn 50 this year.

    Jerry, May 28, 2005
  18. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Bruce Knox wrote:
    >> On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:02:47 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a
    >>> feature on the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks
    >>> like a man in his 60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been
    >>> doing to himself?

    >> How old is he then?
    >> Older than me so probably in his 50's. I would not be suprised if he
    >> was pushing 60.

    > Bill Gates was born 28 October, 1955, so he will turn 50 this year.

    So he's about 6 years older than me but looks about 20 years older. Man, am
    I glad I don't make a billion dollars a day if that's what it does to you.

    Or not. ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 29, 2005
  19. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Jerry Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    >>Bruce Knox wrote:

    >>>How old is he then?
    >>>Older than me so probably in his 50's. I would not be suprised if he
    >>>was pushing 60.

    >>Bill Gates was born 28 October, 1955, so he will turn 50 this year.

    > So he's about 6 years older than me but looks about 20 years older. Man, am
    > I glad I don't make a billion dollars a day if that's what it does to you.
    >
    > Or not. ;-)
    > --

    He is 10 years younger than me, but I wonder how much damage it could do
    if I could make a billion dollars for just one day.

    Jerry

    Jerry, May 29, 2005
  20. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    >> Bill Gates was born 28 October, 1955, so he will turn 50 this year.

    > So he's about 6 years older than me but looks about 20 years older.
    > Man, am I glad I don't make a billion dollars a day if that's what it
    > does to you.

    A billion a day? I don't think so. Neither Bill nor MS make a billion a
    day.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"