    Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
    response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
    pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008

  2. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > Why are the xtra and ihug DNS servers so damn slow?
    > Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
    > response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
    > pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.

    Why would you use ihug's DNS servers when connected to xtra's network?
    EMB, Aug 14, 2008

  3. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 7:31 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > Why are the xtra and ihug DNS servers so damn slow?
    > > Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
    > > response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
    > > pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.

    > Why would you use ihug's DNS servers when connected to xtra's network?

    A friend uses ihug and has similar 30 second delays.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008
  4. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 7:31 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >>> Why are the xtra and ihug DNS servers so damn slow?
    >>> Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
    >>> response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
    >>> pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.

    >> Why would you use ihug's DNS servers when connected to xtra's network?

    > A friend uses ihug and has similar 30 second delays.

    Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type

    ipconfig/all

    and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.

    If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
    about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.
    EMB, Aug 14, 2008
  5. Matty F

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Matty F <> wrote in news:e66d8bff-f952-47e5-a511-
    :

    > Why are the xtra and ihug DNS servers so damn slow?
    > Regularly I and others have to wait around 30 seconds before I get a
    > response to any webpage that I want to see. That is, except the web
    > pages that have a numeric IP address and load instantly.

    You could try Opendns?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 14, 2008
  6. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 8:27 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > >> Why would you use ihug's DNS servers when connected to xtra's network?

    > > A friend uses ihug and has similar 30 second delays.

    > Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type
    >
    > ipconfig/all
    >
    > and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.
    >
    > If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
    > about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

    Yes I am using Windows, which I hate.
    "Cannot find the file 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
    I can see this is going to take some time.
    However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008
  7. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 8:27 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >>> A friend uses ihug and has similar 30 second delays.

    >> Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type
    >>
    >> ipconfig/all
    >>
    >> and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.
    >>
    >> If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
    >> about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

    > Yes I am using Windows, which I hate.
    > "Cannot find the file 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
    > I can see this is going to take some time.
    > However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

    ok... I'll clarify.

    Start --> Run and type cmd in the resultant space and press enter.

    A black DOS screen with a command prompt should pop up.

    in this box type

    ipconfig /all

    and press enter

    A fsair bit of drivel should result including a list of DNS servers.
    That's the bit we are interested in that you should post here. If it
    scrools off the screen the up arrow key should scroll back to it.

    When you've finished reading in the DOS window type

    exit

    and press the enter key to close it.

    If you're still confused drop me an email and I'll see what I can do to
    help.
    EMB, Aug 14, 2008
  8. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 9:24 pm, Freesias <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 02:11:28 -0700, Matty F wrote:

    > >> Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type

    > >> ipconfig/all

    > >> and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.

    > >> If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
    > >> about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

    > > Yes I am using Windows, which I hate. "Cannot find the file
    > > 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components." I can see this is going to
    > > take some time. However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

    > Here is a clue: go to a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig/all" (but without
    > the quote marks obviously)

    I'm using Win98SE.
    Do you mean Start/Run/ipconfig/all?
    In that case as I've said, I get the message "Cannot find the file
    'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
    Clearly I need to somehow tell it to find ipconfig within the WINDOWS
    directory. I've tried forward slashes and backward slashes. I've
    already told you that I hate Windows. I learn the absolute minimum to
    get it to work.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008
  9. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 9:28 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > >> Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type

    > >> ipconfig/all

    > >> and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.

    > >> If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
    > >> about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

    > > Yes I am using Windows, which I hate.
    > > "Cannot find the file 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
    > > I can see this is going to take some time.
    > > However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

    > ok... I'll clarify.
    >
    > Start --> Run and type cmd in the resultant space and press enter.
    >
    > A black DOS screen with a command prompt should pop up.
    > in this box type
    >
    > ipconfig /all
    >
    > and press enter
    >
    > A fsair bit of drivel should result including a list of DNS servers.
    > That's the bit we are interested in that you should post here. If it
    > scrools off the screen the up arrow key should scroll back to it.
    >
    > When you've finished reading in the DOS window type
    >
    > exit
    >
    > and press the enter key to close it.
    >
    > If you're still confused drop me an email and I'll see what I can do to
    > help.

    I have just searched Google for xtra dns servers, and have found a
    page that allows me to check the DNS servers that I'm using.
    "Disable DNS" was selected. I have selected "Enable DNS" and put in
    the two xtra DNS servers and it seems to be working rather well.
    My question is now, how has my system been working at all for the last
    few years? None of those details has been changed on my computer since
    I first joined xtra.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008
  10. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 9:28 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > >> Assuming you're using Windows, go to a DOS prompt and type

    > >> ipconfig/all

    > >> and post back here what the DNS servers it lists are.

    > >> If there is a non-responsive server listed there will be a timeout of
    > >> about 30 seconds before it tries the next server listed.

    > > Yes I am using Windows, which I hate.
    > > "Cannot find the file 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
    > > I can see this is going to take some time.
    > > However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

    > ok... I'll clarify.
    >
    > Start --> Run and type cmd in the resultant space and press enter.
    >
    > A black DOS screen with a command prompt should pop up.

    No I get a message "Cannot find the file 'cmd" or one of its
    components.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008
  11. Matty F

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 03:03:10 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
    <> wrote:

    >On Aug 14, 9:28 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >> Matty F wrote:

    >> > Yes I am using Windows, which I hate.
    >> > "Cannot find the file 'ipconfig/all' or one of its components."
    >> > I can see this is going to take some time.
    >> > However I can see ipconfig.exe in C:/WINDOWS

    >> ok... I'll clarify.
    >>
    >> Start --> Run and type cmd in the resultant space and press enter.
    >>
    >> A black DOS screen with a command prompt should pop up.

    >No I get a message "Cannot find the file 'cmd" or one of its
    >components.

    In that case go Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
    Craig Shore, Aug 14, 2008
  12. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 10:12 pm, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 03:03:10 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >> ok... I'll clarify.

    > >> Start --> Run and type cmd in the resultant space and press enter.

    > >> A black DOS screen with a command prompt should pop up.

    > >No I get a message "Cannot find the file 'cmd" or one of its
    > >components.

    > In that case go Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

    "Command Prompt" is not present in Win98SE.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008
  13. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > I have just searched Google for xtra dns servers, and have found a
    > page that allows me to check the DNS servers that I'm using.
    > "Disable DNS" was selected. I have selected "Enable DNS" and put in
    > the two xtra DNS servers and it seems to be working rather well.
    > My question is now, how has my system been working at all for the last
    > few years? None of those details has been changed on my computer since
    > I first joined xtra.

    You're happy, it works, you've said you want to know the minimum for it
    to work so I'll shut up now.
    EMB, Aug 14, 2008
  14. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 10:31 pm, Mark Robinson <2tod.net>
    wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > On Aug 14, 10:12 pm, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    > >> In that case go Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

    > > "Command Prompt" is not present in Win98SE.

    > Start | Programs | MS-DOS Prompt
    >
    > and the space is optional in "ipconfig /all"

    Now that's odd. With the space I get a black window with all kinds of
    interesting info in it, and the window disappears a fraction of a
    second later so I can't read it.
    Without the space, as first stated i.e. ipconfig/all I get "Cannot
    find the file "ipconfig/all" or one of its components.

    Please sir, how is the average person supposed to understand how to do
    these things? I have used other, superior, operating systems, but at
    the moment I'm stuck with Windows.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008
  15. Matty F

    David Empson Guest

    Matty F <> wrote:

    > On Aug 14, 9:24 pm, Freesias <> wrote:
    > > Here is a clue: go to a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig/all" (but without
    > > the quote marks obviously)

    > I'm using Win98SE.

    In that case you might need to use a different command. I remember
    encountering this when I tried setting up a Win98 system a few years ago
    (I'm more familiar with Windows NT and its derivatives).

    On Win98, you need to use "winipcfg" instead of "ipconfig".

    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141698>

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Aug 14, 2008
  16. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    David Empson wrote:
    > Matty F <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 14, 9:24 pm, Freesias <> wrote:
    >>> Here is a clue: go to a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig/all" (but without
    >>> the quote marks obviously)

    >> I'm using Win98SE.

    > In that case you might need to use a different command. I remember
    > encountering this when I tried setting up a Win98 system a few years ago
    > (I'm more familiar with Windows NT and its derivatives).
    >
    > On Win98, you need to use "winipcfg" instead of "ipconfig".
    >
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141698>

    ipconfig works just fine with Win98.
    EMB, Aug 14, 2008
  17. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 10:54 pm, (David Empson) wrote:
    > Matty F <> wrote:
    > > On Aug 14, 9:24 pm, Freesias <> wrote:
    > > > Here is a clue: go to a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig/all" (but without
    > > > the quote marks obviously)

    > > I'm using Win98SE.

    > In that case you might need to use a different command. I remember
    > encountering this when I tried setting up a Win98 system a few years ago
    > (I'm more familiar with Windows NT and its derivatives).
    >
    > On Win98, you need to use "winipcfg" instead of "ipconfig".
    >
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141698>

    winipcfg seems to work OK thanks, and shows me the two DNS servers
    that have just set up.

    If anyone else wants to know, now that I've worked it out the hard
    way, here is how I prefer to see the instructions for how to change
    the DNS servers for broadband:
    Win98SE /Start /Settings /Control panel /Network /Configuration /TCP
    IP Dlink modem /Properties /DNS Configuration
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008
  18. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 11:08 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > David Empson wrote:
    > > Matty F <> wrote:

    > >> I'm using Win98SE.

    > > In that case you might need to use a different command. I remember
    > > encountering this when I tried setting up a Win98 system a few years ago
    > > (I'm more familiar with Windows NT and its derivatives).

    > > On Win98, you need to use "winipcfg" instead of "ipconfig".

    > > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141698>

    > ipconfig works just fine with Win98.

    It doesn't work on my Win98SE machine.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008
  19. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 11:08 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >> David Empson wrote:
    >>> In that case you might need to use a different command. I remember
    >>> encountering this when I tried setting up a Win98 system a few years ago
    >>> (I'm more familiar with Windows NT and its derivatives).
    >>> On Win98, you need to use "winipcfg" instead of "ipconfig".
    >>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141698>

    >> ipconfig works just fine with Win98.

    > It doesn't work on my Win98SE machine.

    It needs the space between the ipconfig and the /all
    EMB, Aug 14, 2008
  20. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 11:30 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 03:46:21 -0700, Matty F wrote:
    > > Please sir, how is the average person supposed to understand how to do
    > > these things?

    > By learning how to use their tools.
    >
    > A builder learns how to use his hammer. You should learn how to use a
    > computer.

    I can follow instructions and have done so. I have been told the wrong
    instructions by two people in this very thread.
    I'm still waiting for an explanation how a black window that flashes
    up for an instant is supposed to help me.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2008