Why do we need cameras like the D700 or D3s?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 18, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Feb 18, 2010

  2. RichA

    Martin Brown Guest

    Anon wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> Because this is what ISO 25,600 looks like on a micro 4/3rds sensor.
    >> -3 stops at 3200 ISO. RAW to JPEG in PS-CS4, zero NR.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/122061931/original

    > What does 25,600 ISO film look like??? I can't think of me ever using an
    > EI:25,600 in any shooting I ever did

    3200ASA film was doable and had rather severe grain - push processed and
    uranium intensifier to go higher (but never in colour).

    People seem to forget that film was bad for either very fast or very
    long exposures with reciprocity failure becoming significant for long
    exposures at low light levels. This tended to make certain films that
    were not all that fast but had low reciprocity the medium of choice.

    These days CCDs have almost ideal characteristics with some thermal
    noise and if you are unlucky a warm/IR illuminated corner where the
    readout amplifiers sit. Thermoelectric cooling on amateur astronomy CCDs
    has revolutionised imaging - and you can do magical things with a webcam
    on the planets. Single shot colour imaging for instance. Although the
    scientifically calibrated chips are all monochrome.

    Rich just likes to whinge about everything. It is his only pleasure.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Feb 18, 2010

  3. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Because this is what ISO 25,600 looks like on a micro 4/3rds sensor.

    Nobody cares except religious idiots.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Feb 18, 2010
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 18, 1:17 pm, Martin Brown <|||>
    wrote:
    > Anon wrote:
    > > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > >> Because this is what ISO 25,600 looks like on a micro 4/3rds sensor.
    > >> -3 stops at 3200 ISO.  RAW to JPEG in PS-CS4, zero NR.

    > >>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/122061931/original

    > > What does 25,600 ISO film look like??? I can't think of me ever using an
    > > EI:25,600 in any shooting I ever did

    > 3200ASA film was doable and had rather severe grain - push processed and
    > uranium intensifier to go higher (but never in colour).
    >
    > People seem to forget that film was bad for either very fast or very
    > long exposures with reciprocity failure becoming significant for long
    > exposures at low light levels. This tended to make certain films that
    > were not all that fast but had low reciprocity the medium of choice.
    >
    > These days CCDs have almost ideal characteristics with some thermal
    > noise and if you are unlucky a warm/IR illuminated corner where the
    > readout amplifiers sit. Thermoelectric cooling on amateur astronomy CCDs
    > has revolutionised imaging - and you can do magical things with a webcam
    > on the planets.

    They don't use cooling for imaging planets.
    RichA, Feb 18, 2010
  5. RichA

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:29:29 +0000 (UTC), "Anon" <>
    wrote:

    >"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> Because this is what ISO 25,600 looks like on a micro 4/3rds sensor.
    >> -3 stops at 3200 ISO. RAW to JPEG in PS-CS4, zero NR.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/122061931/original

    >What does 25,600 ISO film look like??? I can't think of me ever using an
    >EI:25,600 in any shooting I ever did

    I have used Ilford HPS plate at Weston 64,000 (ISO 51,200) for some
    desparate non-flash shots with a Graflex. I developed it in warm
    Microdol as I remember.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Feb 19, 2010