    one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.

    It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    I would really want! :)
    RPS, Aug 16, 2007

  2. RPS

    irwell Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:21:28 GMT, RPS <> wrote:

    >I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    >except one: the zoom range is too small.
    >
    >Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    >one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    >
    >It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    >I would really want! :)

    How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
    I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
    the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
    the lens extending.
    irwell, Aug 16, 2007

  3. irwell wrote:
    []
    > How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
    > I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
    > the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
    > the lens extending.

    My Ricoh seems to have this feature, but without it being obvious. From
    power-down, press the Play button for several seconds. May work on the
    Nikon, it may not.

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 16, 2007
  4. On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:48:09 -0700, irwell <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:21:28 GMT, RPS <> wrote:
    >
    >>I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    >>except one: the zoom range is too small.
    >>
    >>Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    >>one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    >>
    >>It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    >>I would really want! :)

    > How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
    > I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
    > the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
    > the lens extending.

    Yeah, that's a nice feature. My current camera (Panny FZ5) has that, and
    I do use it every now and then, to review a bunch of shots without going
    to the (very minor) hassle of taking off the lens cover and letting the
    lens extend.

    I wouldn't choose a new camera solely on the presence or absence of that
    feature, but I certainly don't mind having it.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Aug 16, 2007
  5. RPS

    irwell Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:52:23 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >irwell wrote:
    >[]
    >> How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
    >> I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
    >> the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
    >> the lens extending.

    >My Ricoh seems to have this feature, but without it being obvious. From
    >power-down, press the Play button for several seconds. May work on the
    >Nikon, it may not.
    >
    >David

    What a wonderful suggestion, thanks a million, it works!
    On the Sony it was instantaneous, on the Nikon you have to do
    as David suggested, hold it down for a few seconds.
    irwell, Aug 16, 2007
  6. irwell wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:52:23 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    >> irwell wrote:
    >>> How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
    >>> I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
    >>> the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode
    >>> without the lens extending.

    > What a wonderful suggestion, thanks a million, it works!
    > On the Sony it was instantaneous, on the Nikon you have to do
    > as David suggested, hold it down for a few seconds.

    Don't know about your Nikon. On my Coolpix 880 just turn the mode dial to
    View Pictures and it will not extend the lens.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Aug 16, 2007

  7. >>>
    >>> It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    >>> I would really want! :)

    I have the Canon 30D and it lacks two:

    A microphone for comments, which the 1D has.

    Multiexposure burst with focus bracket, which
    apparently is exceedingly rare or nonexistant. This is
    the biggie.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Aug 16, 2007
  8. RPS

    RonTheGuy Guest

    RPS wrote:
    > I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    > except one: the zoom range is too small.
    >
    > Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    > one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    >
    > It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    > I would really want! :)

    I ended up with a camera that has almost every conceivable feature but
    the camera itself gets less than a top grade and some of the features
    don't work all that well. It's the Olympus SP-510UZ.
    10x zoom range
    Auto/program/shutter priority/aperture priority/manual exposure
    Manual focus
    RAW support
    Time lapse
    Movie mode
    Panorama mode
    etc.

    I like it but...
    Menu structure is a little difficult and some functions are hard to get
    or change.
    I've had to reset the camera at least once in the field when it lost
    the ability to zoom.
    Manual focus is not implemented well.

    You get the idea. You might do well to give up on a feature or 2 to get
    a camera that has a good interface and gets good images.

    Ron
    RonTheGuy, Aug 16, 2007
  9. RPS

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:21:28 +0000, RPS wrote:

    > I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    > except one: the zoom range is too small.
    >
    > Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    > one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    >
    > It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    > I would really want! :)

    FWIW - my feature list is probably rather brief, but I've found nothing
    wanting on the Kodak P series.
    ray, Aug 16, 2007
  10. RPS

    irwell Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:39:33 GMT, "Jürgen Exner"
    <> wrote:

    >irwell wrote:
    >>>

    >> What a wonderful suggestion, thanks a million, it works!
    >> On the Sony it was instantaneous, on the Nikon you have to do
    >> as David suggested, hold it down for a few seconds.

    >Don't know about your Nikon. On my Coolpix 880 just turn the mode dial to
    >View Pictures and it will not extend the lens.
    >
    >jue

    Further tinkering with the P5000, pressing and holding the
    view(Playback) button powers up the camera in the Playback mode,
    (without any lens extension),
    pressing the shutter puts the camera into shooting mode.

    What it doesn't do, that the Sony did, is go into lens
    retraction mode after viewing in playback for a minute, or so.
    irwell, Aug 16, 2007
  11. RPS

    RPS Guest

    :
    : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    :
    : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    : I would really want! :)

    I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
    and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
    In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
    deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
    After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
    buy more?
    RPS, Aug 16, 2007
  12. irwell wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:52:23 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> irwell wrote:
    >> []
    >>> How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
    >>> I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
    >>> the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode
    >>> without the lens extending.

    >> My Ricoh seems to have this feature, but without it being obvious.
    >> From power-down, press the Play button for several seconds. May
    >> work on the Nikon, it may not.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > What a wonderful suggestion, thanks a million, it works!
    > On the Sony it was instantaneous, on the Nikon you have to do
    > as David suggested, hold it down for a few seconds.

    Amazing! What a chance guess....

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 17, 2007
  13. RPS

    John Turco Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > irwell wrote:
    > []
    > > How true? I have just got a Nikon P5000, lots of good features, but
    > > I wish they had one feature that my old Sony W100 had, and that is
    > > the capability to look at the LCD screen in the playback mode without
    > > the lens extending.

    > My Ricoh seems to have this feature, but without it being obvious. From
    > power-down, press the Play button for several seconds. May work on the
    > Nikon, it may not.
    >
    > David

    Hello, David:

    On my Kodak V603, it's the "Favorites" button; it only needs to be
    pushed, momentarily, instead of being held down, as with your Ricoh.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Aug 18, 2007
  14. RPS

    John Turco Guest

    RPS wrote:

    > RPS <> wrote:
    >
    > : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    > : except one: the zoom range is too small.
    > :
    > : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    > : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    > :
    > : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    > : I would really want! :)
    >
    > I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
    > and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
    > In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
    > deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
    > After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
    > buy more?

    Hello, RPS:

    Nothing "cynical," about it...that's the manufacturers' strategy,
    precisely. It seems obvious and logical (from a marketing standpoint,
    at least) to me, as well.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Aug 20, 2007
  15. RPS

    sw2U Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:21:28 +0000, RPS wrote:
    >
    > > I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    > > except one: the zoom range is too small.
    > >
    > > Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    > > one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    > >
    > > It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    > > I would really want! :)

    > FWIW - my feature list is probably rather brief, but I've found nothing
    > wanting on the Kodak P series.

    I'll second that regarding my P880. The first time I used it, I was
    impressed by how everything about it seemed just right.

    --
    sw2U
    sw2U, Aug 20, 2007
  16. RPS

    sw2U Guest

    In article <160820071620054129%>,
    says...
    > RPS <> wrote:
    >
    > : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    > : except one: the zoom range is too small.
    > :
    > : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    > : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    > :
    > : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    > : I would really want! :)
    >
    > I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
    > and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
    > In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
    > deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
    > After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
    > buy more?

    Because for some of us it's an addiction. (Grin)

    --
    sw2U
    sw2U, Aug 20, 2007
  17. RPS

    Chuck Olson Guest

    "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > RPS wrote:
    > >
    > > RPS <> wrote:
    > >
    > > : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    > > : except one: the zoom range is too small.
    > > :
    > > : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    > > : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    > > :
    > > : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one

    feature
    > > : I would really want! :)
    > >
    > > I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
    > > and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
    > > In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
    > > deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
    > > After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
    > > buy more?

    > Hello, RPS:
    >
    > Nothing "cynical," about it...that's the manufacturers' strategy,
    > precisely. It seems obvious and logical (from a marketing standpoint,
    > at least) to me, as well.
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    Take the new Canon 40D DSLR - - they put in 30 or so improvements, including
    what they call a "live view" feature in which eye-level viewfinding is
    switchable to the 3" TFT color screen, but does it pivot for overhead or
    waist-level or bug-level viewing? Nope! How can they forget things they
    learned in 1999? I guess we should all wait for the 50D.
    Chuck Olson, Aug 21, 2007
  18. RPS

    Guest

    On Aug 20, 6:56 pm, "Chuck Olson" <>
    wrote:
    > "John Turco" <> wrote in message

    > > RPS wrote:

    > > > RPS <> wrote:

    > > > : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    > > > : except one: the zoom range is too small.
    > > > :
    > > > : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    > > > : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    > > > :
    > > > : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one

    > feature
    > > > : I would really want! :)

    > > > I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
    > > > and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
    > > > In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
    > > > deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
    > > > After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
    > > > buy more?

    > > Hello, RPS:

    > > Nothing "cynical," about it...that's the manufacturers' strategy,
    > > precisely. It seems obvious and logical (from a marketing standpoint,
    > > at least) to me, as well.

    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco <>

    > Take the new Canon 40D DSLR - - they put in 30 or so improvements, including
    > what they call a "live view" feature in which eye-level viewfinding is
    > switchable to the 3" TFT color screen, but does it pivot for overhead or
    > waist-level or bug-level viewing? Nope! How can they forget things they
    > learned in 1999? I guess we should all wait for the 50D.

    I can't help to response on this subject!
    This is just like the way the lawmakers made regulations. There is
    always a hole somewhere, so that other laywers can exploit it and make
    money from it :)
    , Aug 21, 2007
  19. RPS

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Chuck Olson wrote:
    > "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    >> RPS wrote:
    >>> RPS <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> : I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    >>> : except one: the zoom range is too small.
    >>> :
    >>> : Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    >>> : one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    >>> :
    >>> : It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one

    > feature
    >>> : I would really want! :)
    >>>
    >>> I forgot to include my last, cynical punch line. It occurred to me,
    >>> and that's why I made the post, that maybe it is not coincidence.
    >>> In these days of super-planned marketing schemes, this could be
    >>> deliberate to always want us to upgrade or buy something else.
    >>> After all, if you found just the right camera for you, why would you
    >>> buy more?

    >> Hello, RPS:
    >>
    >> Nothing "cynical," about it...that's the manufacturers' strategy,
    >> precisely. It seems obvious and logical (from a marketing standpoint,
    >> at least) to me, as well.
    >>

    >> Cordially,
    >> John Turco <>

    > Take the new Canon 40D DSLR - - they put in 30 or so improvements, including
    > what they call a "live view" feature in which eye-level viewfinding is
    > switchable to the 3" TFT color screen, but does it pivot for overhead or
    > waist-level or bug-level viewing? Nope! How can they forget things they
    > learned in 1999? I guess we should all wait for the 50D.

    A tilt, and rotate type of LCD can be VERY useful for those who do a lot
    of Macro work, and I am surprised DSLR cameras don't seem to offer this
    feature. Not that it is common on P&S cameras, or 'super zoom' ones either.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 21, 2007
  20. RPS

    AAvK Guest

    "RPS" <> wrote in message news:160820070321321524%...
    >I look at Panasonic LX2 (= Leica D-LUX 3). It is perfect in every way
    > except one: the zoom range is too small.
    >
    > Then there is TZ3. Perfect in zoom range and most every way except
    > one: lack of aperture/shutter priority.
    >
    > It is so frustrating that camera companies always leave out one feature
    > I would really want! :)

    Study the Fujifilm s9100.
    AAvK
    AAvK, Aug 22, 2007