    or sip compatible. Skype is one of the most expensive voip carriers yet
    everyone thinks it is the dogs boxxox ?. IS it they are just clever at
    marketing.

    radioham, Sep 16, 2006

  2. radioham

    Paul B Guest

    Thus spake radioham:
    > Watching a BBC prog yesterday featuring new generation handset,
    > either skype or sip compatible. Skype is one of the most expensive
    > voip carriers yet everyone thinks it is the dogs boxxox ?. IS it they
    > are just clever at marketing.

    Because it's completely free to other Skype users? Because you can instantly
    see if others are available? How many people do you think actually use
    Skypeout? I see SIP & Skype as entirely different services. Another aspect
    of Skype is the number of people that have regained contact with lost
    friends due to its searching capabilities. How much does Skypeout cost
    compared to BT?

    --
    Basically, I hate people who preface nearly every sentence with the word
    'basically'!

    Paul B, Sep 16, 2006

  3. radioham

    PhilT Guest

    radioham wrote:
    > Watching a BBC prog yesterday featuring new generation handset, either skype
    > or sip compatible. Skype is one of the most expensive voip carriers yet
    > everyone thinks it is the dogs boxxox ?. IS it they are just clever at
    > marketing.

    you can download a piece of software and you're away, so its barriers
    to entry are practically zero.

    Many people don't understand enough to realise its a technological dead
    end.

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 16, 2006
  4. radioham

    SBS Guest

    Paul B () ha scritto:

    ::: Watching a BBC prog yesterday featuring new generation handset,
    ::: either skype or sip compatible. Skype is one of the most expensive
    ::: voip carriers yet everyone thinks it is the dogs boxxox ?. IS it they
    ::: are just clever at marketing.

    :: Because it's completely free to other Skype users?

    I think that isn't the truth. I suppose that skype eats an unknown
    amount of my bandwidth when it "sleeps"...

    SBS, Sep 16, 2006
  5. radioham

    radioham Guest

    You can also use msn and yahoo messenger the same, but the point I am making
    it is not a particularly cheap voip system for paid phone calls yet it is
    becoming a standard like Hoover as in vacuum ?.

    radioham, Sep 16, 2006
  6. radioham

    SBS Guest

    radioham () ha scritto:

    :: it is becoming a standard like Hoover as in vacuum ?.

    I think it doesn't.

    SBS, Sep 16, 2006
  7. radioham

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:00:07 GMT, "radioham" <>
    wrote:

    >Watching a BBC prog yesterday featuring new generation handset, either skype
    >or sip compatible. Skype is one of the most expensive voip carriers yet
    >everyone thinks it is the dogs boxxox ?. IS it they are just clever at
    >marketing.

    You could say that. After all they have conned plenty of people into
    thinking that they offer cheap calls. The big advantage that Skype
    have is that you install the software and it works - it works quite
    well too. As far as most people who use Skype are concerned that is it
    - if you want to talk to people over the Net you have to use Skype.
    Some may see ads. from Vonage but dismiss it because they think Skype
    is cheaper. The really big con is where people are persuaded to part
    with big money for WiFi devices to operate Skype.
    Most of the public, who use computers at home, are not very technical.
    If they can get as far as installing Skype, and it works, then that is
    the fullest extent that they will go.
    Skype has its uses but, personally, I don't have a lot of time for it
    and I certainly wouldn't spend any money on it.
    If some of the smaller voip companies could afford to advertise the
    way that Vonage and Skype do, and offer a ready set up device, they
    may have more success. Until then, I for one, will grow more
    frustrated at the ignorance and apparent foolishness of those who
    spend their money on expensive hardware to run Skype.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 16, 2006
  8. radioham

    Paul B Guest

    Thus spake SBS:

    >>> Because it's completely free to other Skype users?

    > I think that isn't the truth. I suppose that skype eats an unknown
    > amount of my bandwidth when it "sleeps"...

    Would you prefer the description "effectively free"? Why do I use Skype?
    Because a friend in Brittany rang me up & invited me to do so, having stated
    that they had themselves been invited. Technical expertise has got naff all
    to do with it. I think some here are being slightly snobbish about voip.
    What would some of you have me do - tell my friends that they are
    technically ignorant for using a system people have actually heard of &
    should change to a paid but superior SIP solution that may take days to sort
    out?

    I'm sure the more savvy among you use Skype & a SIP based service or three
    anyway. Why is that something that works 'out of the box' is treated with
    distain & does it imply that many possible alternatives don't? Do some of
    you vilify others for still using BT for instance? Some people just don't
    make a huge number of calls anyway.

    Paul B, Sep 16, 2006
  9. radioham

    PhilT Guest

    Paul B wrote:

    > Why is that something that works 'out of the box' is treated with
    > distain

    I found the audio quality to be crap, and Skype is a technological dead
    end.

    When you've used it for a while and think "That's fine, but I want to
    use the normal phone handset instead" you have to start again, so why
    not start with free SIP services that work just the same as Skype
    (software download, runs on PC using audio input/output of soundcard)
    then later you can migrate *the same service* to different hardware and
    greater functionality without having to start again.

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 16, 2006
  10. radioham

    PhilT Guest

    PhilT, Sep 16, 2006
  11. radioham

    SBS Guest

    Paul B () ha scritto:

    :: What would some of you have me do - tell my friends that
    :: they are technically ignorant for using a system people have
    :: actually heard of & should change to a paid but superior SIP
    :: solution that may take days to sort out?

    Of course not. But I think that skype isn't completely free,
    because while I pay for my internet bandwidth then
    (I suppose) skype uses an unknown amount of it when it
    seems to be in standby mode.

    Who can grant me that skype doesn't use my broadband
    connection bandwidth to make possible some charged
    calls?

    That's all.

    SBS, Sep 16, 2006
  12. radioham

    Dave Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:26:17 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:00:07 GMT, "radioham" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Watching a BBC prog yesterday featuring new generation handset, either skype
    >>or sip compatible. Skype is one of the most expensive voip carriers yet
    >>everyone thinks it is the dogs boxxox ?. IS it they are just clever at
    >>marketing.

    >You could say that. After all they have conned plenty of people into
    >thinking that they offer cheap calls. The big advantage that Skype
    >have is that you install the software and it works - it works quite
    >well too. As far as most people who use Skype are concerned that is it
    >- if you want to talk to people over the Net you have to use Skype.
    >Some may see ads. from Vonage but dismiss it because they think Skype
    >is cheaper. The really big con is where people are persuaded to part
    >with big money for WiFi devices to operate Skype.
    >Most of the public, who use computers at home, are not very technical.
    >If they can get as far as installing Skype, and it works, then that is
    >the fullest extent that they will go.
    >Skype has its uses but, personally, I don't have a lot of time for it
    >and I certainly wouldn't spend any money on it.
    >If some of the smaller voip companies could afford to advertise the
    >way that Vonage and Skype do, and offer a ready set up device, they
    >may have more success. Until then, I for one, will grow more
    >frustrated at the ignorance and apparent foolishness of those who
    >spend their money on expensive hardware to run Skype.
    >Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    I don't normally use Skype but it does have it's uses.

    We were on holiday in Canada over the summer and used SkypeOut to
    call home. We could have used the hotel phones or even a calling card
    but that would have cost a lot more money.

    The easist solution we found was to pack the laptop (which always gets
    packed for holidays anyway) and a mic-headset and use SkypeOut.

    Sure, we could have taken an ATA and a phone and plugged it all into
    the laptop (the hotel provided free wifi access) but that would have
    been extra equipment to take and extra hassle to configure.

    The missus phoned her mother every day (she tends to do that when on
    holday for some reason) and by the end the total amount spent on calls
    was less than £2, which I certainly don't grudge paying.

    All in all, it worked pretty well and was damn cheap. Maybe not the
    cheapest but the most convenient. Having said that, we don't normally
    use it at home but will definately use it next time we are away from
    home.

    Dave, Sep 16, 2006
  13. radioham

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Sure, we could have taken an ATA and a phone and plugged
    > it all into the laptop (the hotel provided free wifi
    > access) but that would have been extra equipment to take
    > and extra hassle to configure.

    I use X-Pro on my laptop when travelling, with both Sipgate and Gradwell.
    Works perfectly and call quality is almost (but not quite) as good as a
    hardware phone. If I know I'm going to be somewhere with an Ethernet
    connection I take a Sipura 1001 and a small-footprint phone (BT Duet 60).

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 16, 2006
  14. radioham

    Paul B Guest

    Thus spake PhilT:
    > Paul B wrote:
    >
    >> Why is that something that works 'out of the box' is treated with
    >> distain

    > I found the audio quality to be crap, and Skype is a technological
    > dead end.
    >
    > When you've used it for a while and think "That's fine, but I want to
    > use the normal phone handset instead" you have to start again, so why
    > not start with free SIP services that work just the same as Skype
    > (software download, runs on PC using audio input/output of soundcard)
    > then later you can migrate *the same service* to different hardware
    > and greater functionality without having to start again.
    >
    > Phil

    I'm sure with a bit of researching that a superior solution is to be found &
    I'll be following the technology with interest. Skype definitely has fairly
    serious limitations such as having to be online - my PC spends most of its
    life in a nice silent standby condition where my Skype presence shows me
    being unavailable. OK, Philips are going to launch a Skype & landline DECT
    phone this Xmas (running Linux for those that are interested) who's base
    station plugs into an Ethernet port, phoneline & acts as a server.
    If the premium over a std Philips DECT phone isn't too high (I've had good
    use from my Philips Onis system, now over 6yrs old), I maybe tempted but I
    take the point regarding hardware costs to access a 'free' service.

    As for Skype's sound quality - it's more often my voice quality that's so
    variable but I'm reusing an ancient HBH-15 Ericsson BT headset that's
    sometimes virtually unusable but I don't have a very high regard for BT at
    the best of times. My take on Skype is that's it's a chat service with
    diabolically slow file transfer - real slow! If I was a heavy phone user or
    running my own business, I'd have bought an ATA long ago!

    Paul B, Sep 17, 2006
  15. radioham

    The Invalid Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:01:16 +0200, "SBS" <>
    wrote:

    >Paul B () ha scritto:
    >
    >::: Watching a BBC prog yesterday featuring new generation handset,
    >::: either skype or sip compatible. Skype is one of the most expensive
    >::: voip carriers yet everyone thinks it is the dogs boxxox ?. IS it they
    >::: are just clever at marketing.
    >
    >:: Because it's completely free to other Skype users?
    >
    >I think that isn't the truth. I suppose that skype eats an unknown
    >amount of my bandwidth when it "sleeps"...

    Then do what most people do, use it then turn it off

    The Invalid, Sep 17, 2006
  16. radioham

    The Invalid Guest

    On 16 Sep 2006 13:50:49 -0700, "PhilT" <> wrote:

    >Paul B wrote:
    >
    >> Why is that something that works 'out of the box' is treated with
    >> distain

    >I found the audio quality to be crap, and Skype is a technological dead
    >end.

    Then you are doing something wrong.
    I talk to friends in the US,America and Oz and the quality is superb.

    >When you've used it for a while and think "That's fine, but I want to
    >use the normal phone handset instead" you have to start again, so why
    >not start with free SIP services that work just the same as Skype
    >(software download, runs on PC using audio input/output of soundcard)
    >then later you can migrate *the same service* to different hardware and
    >greater functionality without having to start again.

    Because the quality is crap?

    The Invalid, Sep 17, 2006
  17. radioham

    SBS Guest

    The Invalid () ha scritto:

    ::::: Because it's completely free to other Skype users?

    ::: I think that isn't the truth. I suppose that skype eats an unknown
    ::: amount of my bandwidth when it "sleeps"...

    :: Then do what most people do, use it then turn it off

    If I turn skype off, then how can I do to receive incoming calls?

    SBS, Sep 17, 2006
  18. radioham

    The Invalid Guest

    On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:59:45 +0200, "SBS" <>
    wrote:

    >The Invalid () ha scritto:
    >
    >::::: Because it's completely free to other Skype users?
    >
    >::: I think that isn't the truth. I suppose that skype eats an unknown
    >::: amount of my bandwidth when it "sleeps"...
    >
    >:: Then do what most people do, use it then turn it off
    >
    >If I turn skype off, then how can I do to receive incoming calls?

    Tell your friends to ring you twice on your landline then connect up
    Skype
    Works for me

    The Invalid, Sep 17, 2006
  19. radioham

    Carl Waring Guest

    Carl Waring, Sep 17, 2006
  20. radioham

    SBS Guest

    Carl Waring () ha scritto:

    ::: Who can grant me that skype doesn't use my broadband
    ::: connection bandwidth to make possible some charged
    ::: calls?

    :: How the heck would it do that?

    I've just explained it some messages above.

    Who's it gonna charge for a start?

    Skype is free if you make skype-to-skype calls, but if you
    wanna call someone located somewhere in the world then
    you have to pay for it. I suppose that skype uses my internet
    bandwidth to make possibile that charged call(s), while
    I keep it in standby mode.

    SBS, Sep 17, 2006