    Thanks,
    Ron

    , Dec 12, 2006

  2. ASAAR Guest

    On 12 Dec 2006 01:42:49 -0800, wrote:

    > I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
    > the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
    > than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
    > conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
    > person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
    > people's eyes.

    It's neither the catch lights nor the director's instructions that
    are responsible for those twinkles. It's casting. When really
    special twinkles are needed, the studios hire real stars!

    - - - -

    "Twinkle, twinkle little bat,
    How I wonder where you're at,
    Up above the world you fly,
    Like a tea tray in the sky." - Mat Hatter

    "Twinkle, twinkle, twinkle, twinkle--" - dormouse

    "I'll never go there again."
    "It's the stupidest tea-party I ever was at in all my life!" - Alice

    ASAAR, Dec 12, 2006

  3. Jay Beckman Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
    > the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
    > than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
    > conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
    > person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
    > people's eyes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ron

    Sometimes there is a light mounted right on top of the camera called a
    "Kicker Light" and this will add more than the usual amount of light in the
    eyes.

    Don't forget what they're able to do in post production too...

    Good example is in the most recent version of King Kong with Jack Black and
    Naomi Watts. Watch carefully when Jack Black is trying to convince Naomi
    Watts' character to be in his movie. There is a sparkle effect in her eyes
    that actually grows as the he starts to win her over. May have been done
    with a live ring light but probably was added in post. They use this effect
    several times in the movie.

    Jay Beckman
    Chandler, AZ
    www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

    Jay Beckman, Dec 12, 2006
  4. On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:42:49 -0800, wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Hi,
    > I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
    > the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
    > than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
    > conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
    > person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
    > people's eyes.

    As Jay noted, lighting is important to making eyes twinkle.

    But it is easier to get some eyes to twinkle more than others. People who
    have heavy eyelids make it harder for the photographer. There is just a
    smaller area to work with, is all.

    Christopher Campbell, Dec 12, 2006
  5. Guest

    Christopher Campbell wrote:

    > As Jay noted, lighting is important to making eyes twinkle.
    >
    > But it is easier to get some eyes to twinkle more than others. People who
    > have heavy eyelids make it harder for the photographer. There is just a
    > smaller area to work with, is all.

    I feel sure there is more too it. I will post back when I have some
    examples. Steve Mariuci from the NFL channel and that girl that starred
    in Ghost come to mind but I am working from memory so I have no way to
    confirm it for now. Anyway, thanks for the interesting and helpful
    replies.
    Ron

    , Dec 12, 2006
  6. Jay Beckman Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Christopher Campbell wrote:
    >
    >> As Jay noted, lighting is important to making eyes twinkle.
    >>
    >> But it is easier to get some eyes to twinkle more than others. People who
    >> have heavy eyelids make it harder for the photographer. There is just a
    >> smaller area to work with, is all.

    > I feel sure there is more too it. I will post back when I have some
    > examples. Steve Mariuci from the NFL channel and that girl that starred
    > in Ghost come to mind but I am working from memory so I have no way to
    > confirm it for now. Anyway, thanks for the interesting and helpful
    > replies.
    > Ron

    TV it's definately the lighting (if it's a live football studio show...)
    Movies it could be the lighting or it could be post production...
    If it's Demi Moore, it's cause she's "HAWT..." (especially at the time she
    made Ghost...)

    ;O)

    Jay Beckman
    Chandler, AZ

    Jay Beckman, Dec 13, 2006
  7. Sudee Guest

    Jay Beckman wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Christopher Campbell wrote:
    >>

    >>>As Jay noted, lighting is important to making eyes twinkle.
    >>>
    >>>But it is easier to get some eyes to twinkle more than others. People who
    >>>have heavy eyelids make it harder for the photographer. There is just a
    >>>smaller area to work with, is all.

    >>I feel sure there is more too it. I will post back when I have some
    >>examples. Steve Mariuci from the NFL channel and that girl that starred
    >>in Ghost come to mind but I am working from memory so I have no way to
    >>confirm it for now. Anyway, thanks for the interesting and helpful
    >>replies.
    >>Ron
    >>

    > TV it's definately the lighting (if it's a live football studio show...)
    > Movies it could be the lighting or it could be post production...
    > If it's Demi Moore, it's cause she's "HAWT..." (especially at the time she
    > made Ghost...)
    >
    > ;O)
    >
    > Jay Beckman
    > Chandler, AZ

    In movies & TV they use artificial tears (glycerin, I think) to get that
    bright,wet eyed look Demi Moore had through most of the film.

    Sue

    Sudee, Dec 13, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
    > the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
    > than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
    > conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
    > person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
    > people's eyes.

    You might need to ask this question at sci.optics or sci.med.vision
    group. Practicioners of eye optics are knowledgeable on this subject.
    My personal opinon is that there are too many sources of light in the
    studio. Therefore, as the camera moves, there are more chances that the
    light from one of those sources is reflected back into the camera's
    lens.

    =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=, Dec 13, 2006
  9. if Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
    > the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
    > than the normal well placed catch lights.

    Glycerine.

    You could also use a starburst filter to enhance those specular highlights.

    if, Dec 13, 2006
  10. Guest

    minnesøtti wrote:

    > You might need to ask this question at sci.optics or sci.med.vision
    > group. Practicioners of eye optics are knowledgeable on this subject.
    > My personal opinon is that there are too many sources of light in the
    > studio. Therefore, as the camera moves, there are more chances that the
    > light from one of those sources is reflected back into the camera's
    > lens.

    I think the answers are more likely to be found in the beauty/glamour
    and modeling fields. I know that the most beautiful people are not
    always the most photogenic. Being able to see the difference can make
    you a lot of money. Things like bone structure, blood flow,
    intelligence, mental health etc. go into determining how someone will
    look on film. I also think some people have a characteristic twinkle
    that is manifest only on film.

    Thanks,
    Ron

    , Dec 13, 2006