    which claims to still be 5.1??

    TIA for any info that might clear this up for me.

    Michael S.
    Michael S., Sep 23, 2003

  2. Michael S.

    Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:52:23 -0500, "Michael S."
    <> wrote:

    >All of my DTS-ES DVDs have the rear center surround flag, is detected by my
    >prepro and a resulting channel for that; while two of my DD-EX DVDs have the
    >rear center surround flag that is detected by my prepro, with the result
    >that the rear center surround channel does not show up at all in the rest of
    >my "EX" DVDs. WHY do so few DD-EX DVD's have the flag that activates the
    >rear center surround channel that is present or do they all have the flag
    >and my prepro is not detecting it?
    >
    >Also--what is the difference between DTS-ES which claims to be 6.1 and DD-EX
    >which claims to still be 5.1??
    >
    >TIA for any info that might clear this up for me.
    >
    >Michael S.

    Doesn't make much difference. Since the centre surround channel is
    derived from the left and right discrete surrounds, it will happen
    with any source that is 5.1., whether or not flags are in the
    soundtrack.
    -Rich
    , Sep 23, 2003

  3. wrote:

    >>Also--what is the difference between DTS-ES which claims to be 6.1 and DD-EX
    >>which claims to still be 5.1??

    > Doesn't make much difference. Since the centre surround channel is
    > derived from the left and right discrete surrounds, it will happen
    > with any source that is 5.1., whether or not flags are in the
    > soundtrack.

    Correct, they're both matrixed - BUT DTS has a true discrete 6.1
    mix, curiously enough known as "DTS-ES Discrete 6.1", where as
    Dobly Digital only has matrixed version.

    As for the flag, it's not a feature of the mix but of whomever
    put the mix together - imagine a checkbox on a screen that someone
    forgot or couldn't be bother to tick.

    Darrel :)
    Darrel Christenson, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Michael S.

    Richard C. Guest

    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >All of my DTS-ES DVDs have the rear center surround flag, is detected by my
    : >prepro and a resulting channel for that; while two of my DD-EX DVDs have the
    : >rear center surround flag that is detected by my prepro, with the result
    : >that the rear center surround channel does not show up at all in the rest of
    : >my "EX" DVDs. WHY do so few DD-EX DVD's have the flag that activates the
    : >rear center surround channel that is present or do they all have the flag
    : >and my prepro is not detecting it?
    : >
    : >Also--what is the difference between DTS-ES which claims to be 6.1 and DD-EX
    : >which claims to still be 5.1??
    : >
    : >TIA for any info that might clear this up for me.
    : >
    : >Michael S.
    : >
    :
    : Doesn't make much difference. Since the centre surround channel is
    : derived from the left and right discrete surrounds, it will happen
    : with any source that is 5.1., whether or not flags are in the
    : soundtrack.
    : -Rich

    DTS-ES Discrete is exactly that. It is not "derived"
    Richard C., Sep 23, 2003
  5. Michael S.

    Zimmy Guest

    To answer your first question... I think some decoders/receivers had trouble
    with early DDEX tracks resulting in weird errors when the flag was "on".
    Dolby choose to just turn off the flag since the EX decoders will still
    decode properly in manual mode.

    Zimmy, Sep 24, 2003