    Anyone know why this is so and how can I correct it.
    Many thanks,

    Pat
    tapyeno, Aug 16, 2009

  2. Re: Why do my photos come out sidewards when I play them on my DVDeven though I have rotated them on my PC

    tapyeno wrote:
    > I downloaded photos from my camera to my PC. Edited and rotated those
    > that needed rotating. Copied them to my USB device.
    > When I go to play them back on my DVD the ones I have rotated upright
    > are still on their side!
    > Anyone know why this is so and how can I correct it.
    > Many thanks,

    With what did you edit them? Perhaps you'll have to do a 'save as'....

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Aug 16, 2009

  3. Re: Why do my photos come out sidewards when I play them on my DVDeven though I have rotated them on my PC

    tapyeno <> wrote:
    > I downloaded photos from my camera to my PC. Edited and rotated those
    > that needed rotating. Copied them to my USB device.
    > When I go to play them back on my DVD the ones I have rotated upright
    > are still on their side!
    > Anyone know why this is so and how can I correct it.

    Try resetting the orientation marker. Maybe you rotated the
    photos physically but kept the orientation marker, so they
    get rotated again.

    If that fails, try rotating them physically.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 26, 2009
  4. tapyeno

    Eric Stevens Guest

    Re: Why do my photos come out sidewards when I play them on my DVD even though I have rotated them on my PC

    On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:23:22 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    <> wrote:

    >tapyeno <> wrote:
    >> I downloaded photos from my camera to my PC. Edited and rotated those
    >> that needed rotating. Copied them to my USB device.
    >> When I go to play them back on my DVD the ones I have rotated upright
    >> are still on their side!
    >> Anyone know why this is so and how can I correct it.

    >Try resetting the orientation marker. Maybe you rotated the
    >photos physically but kept the orientation marker, so they
    >get rotated again.
    >
    >If that fails, try rotating them physically.

    Your camera normally takes a landscape image. When you tilt into
    portrait mode some cameras have the ability to mark the image as
    rotated.

    When you load the image ionto your computer you will find that only
    some software will detect that the camera has been rotated. These will
    show the image the rightway up. Others will not detect and will show
    the image on its side.

    Now it gets more complicated. There are two methods for correcting an
    incorrectly orientated image.

    (1) When you want to switch an incorrectly displayed image from
    landscape to portrait, some software deals with the problem by marking
    the image. They will then know to automatically rotate it to the
    correct orientation.
    (2) Other software deals with the problem by rotating the array of
    pixels through 90 degrees.

    Now it gets really complicated. When you load an image marked as in
    method (1) into an editor which does not detect the marking, the image
    will display incorrectly. OK, so you fix it by rotating the image as
    in method (2). Now if you save the image and then load it into an
    editor which uses method (1) you can end up with a doubly rotated
    image ....

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Aug 27, 2009