    pity

    K202
    , Nov 28, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > digital
    >
    > I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    > pity
    >
    > K202

    What cameras have they actually made since the Retina, opps they
    outsourced that one too.
    Not Disclosed, Nov 28, 2006

  3. Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:
    "" <> wrote:

    > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > digital

    Kodak's legend was built on film and chemicals; I don't think they ever
    had a reputation for making good cameras.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 28, 2006
  4. Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > In news:
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    >> NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >>
    >> Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    >> digital

    > Kodak's legend was built on film and chemicals; I don't think they ever
    > had a reputation for making good cameras.

    Some of them were. Even the Instamatic series had a few good ones, like the
    804, and the Reflex. Not state of the art, but definitely high quality. And
    not all of their digital cameras are bad, not hardly. Some are very good,
    but not state of the art. Kodak's forte is designing and marketing cameras
    and accessories that have mass appeal. I see tons of Kodaks out in the real
    world, and I see tons of pretty good prints from them as well.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 28, 2006
  5. Guest

    "Kinon O'Cann дµÀ£º
    "
    > "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > > In news:
    > > "" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    > >>
    > >> Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > >> digital

    > > Kodak's legend was built on film and chemicals; I don't think they ever
    > > had a reputation for making good cameras.

    > Some of them were. Even the Instamatic series had a few good ones, like the
    > 804, and the Reflex. Not state of the art, but definitely high quality. And
    > not all of their digital cameras are bad, not hardly. Some are very good,
    > but not state of the art. Kodak's forte is designing and marketing cameras
    > and accessories that have mass appeal. I see tons of Kodaks out in the real
    > world, and I see tons of pretty good prints from them as well.
    >

    > > --
    > > Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    it's a really pity,
    , Nov 28, 2006
  6. ASAAR Guest

    On 27 Nov 2006 16:18:44 -0800, , the Fuji
    fanatic wrote:

    > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > digital
    >
    > I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    > pity

    I don't see them going bust in the near future, but I'll bet they
    go bust long before I ever see you post anything other than the
    silly, nearly content-free messages that are your trademark. Yeap.
    :)
    ASAAR, Nov 28, 2006
  7. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > digital
    >
    > I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    > pity
    >
    > K202

    Perhaps you should look at their sales figures, and their P&L
    statements. Several of their cameras could be considered best in their
    feature category.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 28, 2006
  8. wrote:

    > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > digital
    >
    > I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    > pity
    >
    > K202

    Kodak made the first auto-exposure camera, in 1938. They also made some
    good semi-pro cameras and lenses, e.g. Medalist and Ektar. That was long
    ago.

    Morton
    Morton Linder, Nov 28, 2006
  9. Guest

    On 27 Nov 2006 16:18:44 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    >Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    >digital
    >
    >I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    >pity
    >
    >K202

    Why jump on Kodak before you jump on Epson or Casio?
    While we're at it let's jump on RadioShack, Microsoft and
    Caterpillar.These companies all have their place.

    It's all so easy to trash Chevrolet and promote Porsche. Usually the
    same people that will trash Chevrolet can't afford a Porsche and drive
    a Kia.
    , Nov 28, 2006
  10. Bruce Guest

    "" <> wrote in

    > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > digital
    >
    > I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    > pity
    >
    > K202

    Kodak makes many nice, simple to use cameras that take very good
    pictures. Me thinks you are just trollling.

    check it out:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html
    Bruce, Nov 28, 2006
  11. Phil Wheeler Guest

    wrote:
    > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > digital

    Well, things don't always stay the same. You
    probably had a brain at one time, too.

    Phil
    Phil Wheeler, Nov 28, 2006
  12. "Phil Wheeler" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    > >
    > > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > > digital
    > >

    > Well, things don't always stay the same. You
    > probably had a brain at one time, too.
    >
    > Phil

    I very much doubt it.

    Gerrit - who owns a DX6340 and it takes VERY GOOD photos
    Gerrit 't Hart, Nov 28, 2006
  13. Roy G Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > digital
    >
    > I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    > pity

    Yeah.

    Crappy Cameras.

    Same as any Film manufacturer, who then starts making Cameras.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Nov 28, 2006
  14. tomm42 Guest

    On Nov 27, 7:30 pm, Not Disclosed <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.

    > > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > > digital

    > > I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    > > pity

    > > K202What cameras have they actually made since the Retina, opps they

    > outsourced that one too.

    Hey, Kodak made the first fully functional DSLRs. The DCS series based
    on the Nikon N90 and later the F5. Great for the time, starting cost in
    1996 for a 6mp camera was $27,000, last mdel cost $7600 but Nikon would
    only give them the N80 for their full frame camera. Flawed camera body,
    flawed chip for $4000, didn't sell well. If the camera body had been
    better or the chip performance better (still one of the sharpest
    cameras available at ISO50) it migh have been a better seller.
    In the 50s they made some of the best large format lenses. The problem
    is high end pro equipment isn't a big seller. Being a publicly traded
    company Kodak always defaults to consumer cameras and film and
    supplies. They have been trying to get into digital and their P&S
    cameras are some of the best sellers, but there is no way to cover the
    film and supply base in digital.

    Tom
    tomm42, Nov 28, 2006
  15. Bert Hyman Guest

    (Bert Hyman) wrote in

    > In news:
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    >> NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best
    >> performance.
    >>
    >> Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They
    >> invented digital

    > Kodak's legend was built on film and chemicals; I don't think they
    > ever had a reputation for making good cameras.

    Don't know why it slipped my mind, but Kodak also makes very fine CCD
    sensors.

    I don't know if they're used in consumer cameras (even Kodak's), but
    they're well liked in the astrophotography field.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Nov 28, 2006
  16. Dave Cohen Guest

    wrote:
    > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >
    > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > digital
    >
    > I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    > pity
    >
    > K202

    Kodak make and have always had models available that were easy for the
    casual user to use. In film days, this made a lot of sense since they
    also happened to sell film.
    Digital changes that philosophy, there aren't too many consumable items
    you can after market for a digital, printers and on-line processing
    perhaps. Even so, I was looking over a friend's Kodak small p&s and was
    struck by the fact that while it didn't offer as many shooting options
    as my canon A95, the controls it did offer were very convenient and easy
    to use and the picture quality was quite good. Those missing controls
    will never be missed by my friend or millions of others who just want to
    shoot and get good results without making a career out of it.
    Put it this way, if Kodak made brains and you acquired one, you probably
    wouldn't be an Einstein or a Mozart, but there again, you might have
    been sufficiently gifted to do other than troll news groups for a pastime.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Nov 28, 2006
  17. Ron Hunter Guest

    Roy G wrote:
    > "" <> wrote in message
    >> NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >>
    >> Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    >> digital
    >>
    >> I can see them going bust, another badly run American company, its a
    >> pity
    >>

    > Yeah.
    >
    > Crappy Cameras.
    >
    > Same as any Film manufacturer, who then starts making Cameras.
    >
    > Roy G

    Kodak has made film, and cameras longer than most of their competition
    have been in existence.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 28, 2006
  18. Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news:
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    > >
    > > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    > > digital

    > Kodak's legend was built on film and chemicals; I don't think they ever
    > had a reputation for making good cameras.

    Agree with that.

    Further, i cannot think of anything that comes out of USA these days
    that is superior to similar coming out of Europe or Asia.

    > --
    > Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    , Nov 29, 2006
  19. ASAAR Guest

    On 29 Nov 2006 14:41:22 -0800, wrote:

    >> Kodak's legend was built on film and chemicals; I don't think they ever
    >> had a reputation for making good cameras.

    > Agree with that.

    Kodak's Retina Reflex cameras may not have been the best
    available, but they were were good by most measures.

    > Further, i cannot think of anything that comes out of USA these days
    > that is superior to similar coming out of Europe or Asia.

    That may be quite easy to disprove. Where are you from?
    ASAAR, Nov 30, 2006
  20. Skip Guest

    "" <> wrote in message

    > Bert Hyman wrote:
    >> In news:
    >> "" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > NEVER ever see a report or review on them with class-best performance.
    >> >
    >> > Once Kodak was *GOD* and market leader, what happened?They invented
    >> > digital

    >> Kodak's legend was built on film and chemicals; I don't think they ever
    >> had a reputation for making good cameras.

    > Agree with that.
    >
    > Further, i cannot think of anything that comes out of USA these days
    > that is superior to similar coming out of Europe or Asia.
    >

    >> --
    >> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Blue jeans...
    Sad that is the only thing I could think of. I'm wearing a German brand of
    shoe, drive a German car (and an American SUV that's 8 years old) use
    computers that are American branded but made in Asia, use Japanese cameras
    and lenses, but my shirt and jeans are made here in the gold ol' USA...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip, Nov 30, 2006