    My usb adapter does fire up after start up but I have to click on "repair
    connection" every time I switch on the PC. Is there a solution to this?
    Any help appreciated
    =?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=, Jul 2, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=

    optikl Guest

    Re: why do I have to "repair connection" every time pc is switchedon?

    alberto wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have XP SP2 and get my broadband connection via cable modem and router.
    > My usb adapter does fire up after start up but I have to click on "repair
    > connection" every time I switch on the PC. Is there a solution to this?
    > Any help appreciated

    What do you use to configure and manage the USB connection? Do you use
    the Wireless Zero Connection utility, or do you use the utility which
    came with your adapter? You might try removing the adapter and
    reinserting it and see what happens before you initiate a repair.
    If you are using a 3rd party wireless connection utility that came with
    the adapter, try unistalling it and reinstalling the latest version from
    your wireless adapter vendor. If all of the above fails to resolve your
    problem, then try using just your Windows Wireless Zero Connection
    Utility to manage the connection.
    optikl, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Re: why do I have to "repair connection" every time pc is switched

    ..
    Hi
    thanks for your comments. The usb adapter is totally managed by windows;
    when I first plugged the device in the usb port and put the installation cd
    disk in it did not let me use to software it came with but stated that
    windows would manage it.
    I checked that the wireless zero connection utility is turned on and indeeed
    it it is.
    alberto

    =?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=, Jul 3, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=

    Clark Guest

    Re: why do I have to "repair connection" every time pc is switched

    I loose track sometimes of which devices are doing what, but it seems to me
    I read something about a USB adapter made by Linksys (I think) that stated
    not to allow the setup routine to run in XP, but it did go on to give
    instructions on how to install the driver.

    Which device are you using, and what driver do you show for it in the device
    manager? Be specific on the device and include version number so it can be
    found on the manufacturers website. Maybe Windows is having to find a
    driver every time you reboot. Since USB devices are hot plugable, perhaps
    it has something to do with that.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Re: why do I have to "repair connection" every time pc is switched

    Hi Clark
    Thanks for your comments; indeed my usb adapter is by ATMEL, which i
    understand comes under Linksys. i reinstalled the driver from the CD and
    switch off the pc. after reboot it seemed to connect to server automatically,
    ie. no need for me to click on repair. Thanks for the help I hope this fix
    will actually last!
    Cheers
    Alberto

    =?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=, Jul 3, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=

    alberto wrote:
    > .
    > Hi
    > thanks for your comments. The usb adapter is totally managed by windows;
    > when I first plugged the device in the usb port and put the installation cd
    > disk in it did not let me use to software it came with but stated that
    > windows would manage it.
    > I checked that the wireless zero connection utility is turned on and indeeed
    > it it is.
    > alberto

    Then, just for the sake of knowing, I would suggest disabling the XP
    Zero Configuration Utility (services.msc) and trying the software that
    came with the USB adapter. Of course, I'd recommend making sure you have
    the latest utility from your USB Adapter vendor. If this doesn't work,
    you can always uninstall it and go back to using Windows ZCU by
    reenabling the service.
    optikl, Jul 3, 2005
  7. Re: why do I have to "repair connection" every time pc is switched

    hi
    Tried your suggestion; disabled WZC; result: no connection!
    Re enabled WZC; result: connected to the server provider automatically i.e.
    without having to click on repair. Worked fine for 24 hrs then this morning
    after switching on the PC again it needed to go via repair connection!

    My next try will be to use a different usb adapter to establish if the
    problem is my current adapter or the xp wireless set up procedure...very
    frustrating.
    just for fun: my 7 yrs old daughter said to me: daddy it was much easier
    with windows 98!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=, Jul 5, 2005