Why do I get a PRINTER IS OFFLINE message when I'm online?!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wgreene, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. wgreene

    wgreene Guest

    Why do I get a "PRINTER IS OFFLINE" message?

    ----

    I have a Canon i850 printer which I think is just great. Never a problem,
    not even one paper jam in the year I've had it.

    However, tonight whenever I attempt to print a page from the Net, I get the
    following message: PRINTER IS OFFLINE. I don't understand this at all since
    I am online and my printer is both plugged in and turned on! I have gotten
    this PRINTER IS OFFLINE before on a number of occasions, but that was when I
    really was offline. All I had to do then was depress the button and I was
    ready to print.

    I have been having virus problems in recent days, but I didn't think that
    would affect my printer's functions. However, I'm thinking maybe what I'm
    experiencing IS a virus-related problem, especially since I can't make sense
    of it otherwise. Can someone please tell me what is going on?!! (I don't
    find any help at all in the Troubleshooting section.)

    (I have WIN XP Pro.)

    wgreene, Aug 14, 2004

  2. wgreene wrote:

    > Why do I get a "PRINTER IS OFFLINE" message?

    <snip how it just can't be offline>

    Have you tried reseating its connections?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 14, 2004

  3. You have all the symptoms of the printer being disconnected from the
    machine. You may have a cable or connector problem.

    Edward W. Thompson, Aug 14, 2004