    PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700

    Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?

    [PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

    Mr.Happy, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Mr.Happy

    Guest

    The 1V is a very well built pro camera, while the digital rebel is
    consumer grade. The 1v is weatherproof and much more substantial.

    Now, compare the 1V to the 1Ds and the dSLR is _way_ more expensive.

    , Aug 10, 2005

  3. Mr.Happy

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    Mr.Happy says...
    > Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
    > Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
    > w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
    > Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
    > PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700

    Could it be that the EOS 1V is a high end body, while the 300D (digital
    rebel) is an entry-level DSLR ?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Mr.Happy

    John Ortt Guest

    In answer to your title............. they don't.

    > Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
    > Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
    > w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99

    The EOS-1V is a Professionnal camera while the EOS-300D and EOS-350D are
    aimed at keen amateurs and specific professionnals who do not need the extra
    features on the more expensive cameras.

    If you look at Canon's top of the line Digital camera (the EOS-1Ds) you will
    see the price is far higher than the 1V (again for just the body).

    John Ortt, Aug 10, 2005
  5. On 10 Aug 2005 09:03:56 -0700, "Mr.Happy" <>
    wrote:

    >Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
    >Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
    >w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
    >Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
    >PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
    >
    >Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?
    >
    >[PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

    May I suggest you first compare apples to apples.

    The digital equivalent to the 1V is the 1DsMkII. It cost just for the
    body about 7,000 dollars.

    The film equivalent to the Digital Rebel is the Rebel K2. Those K2
    bodies are about 142 dollars.

    Learn the technology....

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Aug 10, 2005
  6. Mr.Happy

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Mr.Happy wrote:

    > Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
    > Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
    > w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
    > Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
    > PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
    >
    > Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?
    >
    > [PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

    You're comparing apples and oranges :)

    The Rebel is a type 2 body. If you want to compare
    film and digital:

    A digital Rebel goes for $799.00
    A film Rebel with kit lens goes for $189.00

    If you want to compare top of the line pro
    cameras with type 1 bodies, then:

    An EOS-1V goes for $1899
    An EOS 1Ds MKII goes for $7995

    The pro cameras do a lot more. Better autofocus,
    faster burst speed, better construction, water resistant,
    longer shutter life, higher shutter speeds, faster flash sync..
    etc etc.).

    Jim Townsend, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Mr.Happy

    Proteus Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:
    > The pro cameras do a lot more. Better autofocus,
    > faster burst speed, better construction, water resistant,
    > longer shutter life, higher shutter speeds, faster flash sync..
    > etc etc.).

    I appreciate the need for faster burst speed and more photos on a burst
    shoot after a recent outdoor location shoot. I found the 9 shots burst mode
    of my Canon 10D digital routinely filling up and slowing down my creative
    photography (see 'Busy' lots as camera memory was writing to CF card).

    Proteus, Aug 10, 2005
  8. Film SLRs do not, in general, cost more than DSLRs. In general,
    DSLRs cost a LOT more than film SLRs.

    "Mr.Happy" <> writes:

    > Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
    > Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
    > w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
    > Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
    > PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
    >
    > Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?

    Those cameras aren't at all comparable. Instead, compare for example
    the Nikon D100 and the Nikon N80. These are the *same* body, but one
    has the sensor and digital electronics package, and the other is set
    up for film. The D100 body only costs about $1000; The N80 body only
    costs about $275. (I use this particular example because I happen to
    know which film and which digital body match in this case; I believe
    you can find similar exact matches in Canon, but I don't know them off
    the top of my head.)

    The Canon EOS-1V is a pro-grade film body, and is priced accordingly.
    Canon makes a range of film SLR bodies. The Elan 7N is priced at
    $300, the EOS 3 at $875, the EOS-1V at $1650 -- and the EOS Rebel K2
    at $135.

    The Digital Rebel is a digital priced at $650. The EOS 20D is about
    $1330. And the EOS-1DS Mark II is priced at $8000.

    There's quite a range of prices and features in both film and digital
    -- but digital is *much* more expensive than film for the camera body.
    Of course, if you *use* it a lot, the savings in film and processing
    costs will be substantial.
    Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/> Much of which is still down

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 10, 2005
  9. Mr.Happy

    wilt Guest

    Why do Ferrari's cost so much more than KIA's...the KIA can carry four
    people? The Ferrari only carries two! And I have to shift the
    transmission in the Ferrari and the steering is not as light as the
    KIA!

    wilt, Aug 10, 2005
  10. Mr.Happy

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Mr. Happy wrote ...
    >
    >Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR
    >Camera, Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel
    >SLR Camera w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99

    The Rebel film body costs about $200 with a kit lens so there's a 400%
    markup to the price of the digital Rebel, which is built on the same
    basic body.

    The Elan 7N/E body is around $300 - 340 and the digital built on it is
    the 20D, around $1,400 so again a hefty markup, around 400%.

    The 1V HS body is about $2,000 and is used for the 1D Mark II (~
    $4,000) and the 1Ds Mark II ($8,000) so again there's a roughly 200 -
    400% markup, depending on the cost of the sensor.

    >PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200

    The film Rebel K2 kit with 28-90 mm lens is $199.95 at B&H. So what's
    your point?

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 10, 2005
  11. Mr.Happy

    Pete D Guest

    "wilt" <> wrote in message
    > Why do Ferrari's cost so much more than KIA's...the KIA can carry four
    > people? The Ferrari only carries two! And I have to shift the
    > transmission in the Ferrari and the steering is not as light as the
    > KIA!

    And I am sure that you will be quite happy with your Kia. ;-) Horses for
    courses.

    Pete D, Aug 10, 2005
  12. Mr.Happy

    Bill Funk Guest

    wrote:

    >Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
    >Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
    >w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
    >Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
    >PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
    >
    >Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?
    >
    >[PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

    Guys, look at where these stupid questions are posted from: Google.
    When the question is just stupid, check to see where it's from;
    usually, Google. This is a great way to post anonymously.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Aug 10, 2005
  13. Mr.Happy

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:

    > Guys, look at where these stupid questions are posted from: Google.
    > When the question is just stupid, check to see where it's from;
    > usually, Google. This is a great way to post anonymously.

    That's true Bill.. Sadly the vast majority of nuisance posts in
    rec.photo.digital come from Google.

    Jim Townsend, Aug 11, 2005
  14. Mr.Happy

    Mr.Happy Guest

    "Why do Ferrari's cost so much more than KIA's...the KIA can carry four

    people? The Ferrari only carries two! And I have to shift the
    transmission in the Ferrari and the steering is not as light as the
    KIA! "

    because you get the babes with a Ferrari; while I am just trying to
    take photos
    of the babes who dont know the difference between a $200 35mm Minolta
    and a $2000 Nikon DSLR(and dont care as long as their photo comes out
    good).

    Mr.Happy, Aug 11, 2005
  15. Mr.Happy

    wilt Guest

    <<while I am just trying to take photos of the babes>>

    I speculate that you are more interested in pulling out your telescopic
    lens and using it.

    wilt, Aug 11, 2005
  16. "Bill Hilton" <> writes:
    >> Mr. Happy wrote ...

    >> Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR
    >> Camera, Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel
    >> SLR Camera w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99

    > The film Rebel K2 kit with 28-90 mm lens is $199.95 at B&H. So
    > what's your point?

    Trolling? (And a rather nice catch too, I would say.)

    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 11, 2005
  17. Mr.Happy

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Mr.Happy wrote:
    > Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
    > Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
    > w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
    > Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
    > PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
    >
    > Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?
    >
    > [PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

    There IS some overlap, but there are also many film SLRs cheaper than
    the cheapest digital SLR. Just like there is a range of prices for
    digital SLRs, there is a range of film SLRs. Yes- more features, higher
    quality, higher reliability demand higher price.

    Don Stauffer, Aug 11, 2005
  18. Mr.Happy

    Mr.Happy Guest

    <<while I am just trying to take photos of the babes>>

    I speculate that you are more interested in pulling out your telescopic

    lens and using it.

    --Oh yes, baby! and what a lens it is!
    that's why they call me Mr.Happy !!!

    Mr.Happy, Aug 12, 2005