Why do favicons disappear after a few weeks?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by hectorcorrector, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Not all, just some, maybe half. I keep having to put the address back
    in.
    hectorcorrector, Jan 22, 2004

  2. hectorcorrector wrote:
    > Not all, just some, maybe half. I keep having to put the address back
    > in.

    Mozilla favicon support is a work in progress. Favicons are stored on
    your cache. If you empty your cache, you empty your favicons. Check
    Bugsilla for more information.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 22, 2004

  3. On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:15:15 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >hectorcorrector wrote:
    >> Not all, just some, maybe half. I keep having to put the address back
    >> in.

    >Mozilla favicon support is a work in progress. Favicons are stored on
    >your cache. If you empty your cache, you empty your favicons. Check
    >Bugsilla for more information.
    >
    >Lee

    I never empty my cache. The icons just disappear spontaneously, one by
    one. It's not a big deal, I just reinsert the address and they come
    back.
    hectorcorrector, Jan 22, 2004
  4. hectorcorrector

    Agam Guest

    hectorcorrector said the following on 22/1/04 6:23 PM:

    > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:15:15 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>hectorcorrector wrote:
    >>
    >>>Not all, just some, maybe half. I keep having to put the address back
    >>>in.

    >>Mozilla favicon support is a work in progress. Favicons are stored on
    >>your cache. If you empty your cache, you empty your favicons. Check
    >>Bugsilla for more information.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > I never empty my cache. The icons just disappear spontaneously, one by
    > one. It's not a big deal, I just reinsert the address and they come
    > back.

    This is something that frustrated me as well. One saves a bookmark, ensures
    that the favicon address is in place, and then some days later the field has
    been inexplicably cleared. I've seen many people posting about wanting to
    have permanent icons for bookmarks, not stored in the regular cache. What
    I've done is to simply save some favicons in a folder, and use the "Choose"
    button next to the favicon url field to select the local file. I never have
    to worry about these disappearing. In Firebird, I noticed that to have the
    icons on my personal bookmarks toolbar appear, I needed to do a right-click/
    Properties on it, after a fresh start, in order to have them show. But I
    later found that just opening the Bookmarks or RSS Reader sidebar would also
    do the trick (quicker with just the ctl-B or alt-R shortcuts).

    To save favicons, just enter the root url in the browser address field,
    adding "/favicon.ico". Sometimes it will appear as an icon, sometimes it
    will show as text. Never mind - just "save as" and it will save the file as
    an icon, and you can move it wherever you like.

    Hope it helps.

    Agam
    Agam, Jan 24, 2004