Why Do Encryption Schemes Sometimes Not Work?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello,

    This is a general query that I would like to submit, and for the sake of
    generality, I will not specify operating system types (beyond to say that
    they're either XP or Vista), computer types (beyond to say that they're all
    as recent as the XP "era"), network adapter types, router types, etc. I may
    provide more detail upon request.

    How come sometimes WEP will work, but WPA won't? How come sometimes I can
    set up a wireless network, but cannot even use WEP? Can anyone point me to
    an article/articles that discuss this matter? While I always attempt to set
    up any
    network as securely as possible, sometimes I must resort to a more
    forgiving scheme, much to my regret.

    Any replies are appreciated.

    Thank you,

    smackedass

    smackedass, Jun 24, 2007

  2. Hi
    Wireless security must always match between the Wireless source and the
    client. As an example if you are connected to a Wireless source that is
    configured as WEP you must use WEP.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    Computers Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 24, 2007

  3. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Thank you for your reply. The "pecking order" and the link are especially
    informative.

    My most recent experience with this issue, which prompted me to post my
    query, involved a wireless router (which does allow WEP and two forms of
    WPA); the wireless network card in question, according to the folks at
    Belkin, does support WEP and WPA. When I set the router to WEP, the
    wireless node indeed recognizes and finds the SSID; however, when I enter
    the phrase and click on "Connect", it just times out. If the phrase was
    incorrect, I would expect some type of failed authentication message, but
    this doesn't happen.

    The Belkin guy also told me to try static IPs, I'll give that a go...

    My customers told me that at one time, they had a technician over who
    couldn't get anything going, at all, so to them, I look golden; however,
    they don't know the importance of encryption as well as do I. They actually
    just called me and I have to go back over there, so I'll have another
    look...

    Thanks, again,

    smackedass

    (Kema Computer Consulting
    Kenneth E. Newton, Proprietor
    P.O. Box 791
    Harwich Port, MA 02646
    )

    smackedass, Jun 26, 2007
  4. smackedass

    Jim Guest

    > Thank you for your reply. The "pecking order" and the link are especially
    > informative.
    >
    > My most recent experience with this issue, which prompted me to post my
    > query, involved a wireless router (which does allow WEP and two forms of
    > WPA); the wireless network card in question, according to the folks at
    > Belkin, does support WEP and WPA. When I set the router to WEP, the
    > wireless node indeed recognizes and finds the SSID; however, when I enter
    > the phrase and click on "Connect", it just times out. If the phrase was
    > incorrect, I would expect some type of failed authentication message, but
    > this doesn't happen.

    Neither my Linksys router nor my Intel card give any kind of message if the
    authentication failed.
    It took me three tries to get my laptop connected despite having the
    encryption string in front of me.
    I am using WAP-TKP.

    > The Belkin guy also told me to try static IPs, I'll give that a go...

    Why did he believe that would make a difference?

    > My customers told me that at one time, they had a technician over who
    > couldn't get anything going, at all, so to them, I look golden; however,
    > they don't know the importance of encryption as well as do I. They
    > actually just called me and I have to go back over there, so I'll have
    > another look...
    >
    > Thanks, again,
    >
    > smackedass
    >
    > (Kema Computer Consulting
    > Kenneth E. Newton, Proprietor
    > P.O. Box 791
    > Harwich Port, MA 02646
    > )

    Sometimes the wireless works fine. Every now and then it dies. I have been
    unable to connect even when the
    laptop was in the same room. Most of the time, like right now, the laptop
    is at least 25 feet away.

    My problems seem to be weather related, but it is raining outside right now,
    and signal is said to be Very Good.

    Jim

    Jim, Jun 26, 2007
  5. smackedass

    Patty Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:35:27 -0500, Jim wrote:

    > Sometimes the wireless works fine. Every now and then it dies. I have been
    > unable to connect even when the
    > laptop was in the same room. Most of the time, like right now, the laptop
    > is at least 25 feet away.
    >
    > My problems seem to be weather related, but it is raining outside right now,
    > and signal is said to be Very Good.
    >
    > Jim

    I know that various things can upset the wireless connection. For
    instance, 2.4GHz cordless phones. Since they're on the same frequency as
    the wireless (oops!) they always knock my wireless out when I'm using the
    phone. Other than that, my wireless works great and I'm using a Linksys
    WAP connected to a wired router (which I already had for my wired system).
    I can connect to the internet even from outside on the deck which is about
    20 feet or so away from the access point and through 3 walls. I use
    WPA-TKIP encryption.

    Patty

    Patty, Jun 26, 2007
  6. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    I've had a few WEP connections where the PC did not like the text
    phrase, but when the phrase was entered has Hex it worked fine.

    Mister, Jun 27, 2007