Why do domain connected PCs go so slow and fast as stand-alone?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dimon, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. dimon

    dimon Guest

    I have observed this problem at 3 locations now... When workstations
    are connected to a Small Business server 2003 they are very slow in
    doing anything (local file loading, internet browsing, simply opening
    new windows). As soon as this slow machine is loged on to as a
    non-domain PC everything works in a blink of an eye. Situations are
    similar: 1 Server, 4-5 workstations (using Outlook and Sage). Network
    runs at 100mbps switch using a router as a DHCP server.

    Another problem I saw in one setup case is that at around 18:00 all
    workstations grind to nearly a stand still. Checked backups - all
    backups are due to start at 23:00, so really can't find a reason for
    the fall in responce. And yes, as soon as a PC is logged on as a
    non-domain client everything works fast.

    thanks.

    dimon, Mar 27, 2006

  2. dimon

    Vanguard Guest

    "dimon" <> wrote in message
    >I have observed this problem at 3 locations now... When workstations
    > are connected to a Small Business server 2003 they are very slow in
    > doing anything (local file loading, internet browsing, simply opening
    > new windows). As soon as this slow machine is loged on to as a
    > non-domain PC everything works in a blink of an eye. Situations are
    > similar: 1 Server, 4-5 workstations (using Outlook and Sage). Network
    > runs at 100mbps switch using a router as a DHCP server.
    >
    > Another problem I saw in one setup case is that at around 18:00 all
    > workstations grind to nearly a stand still. Checked backups - all
    > backups are due to start at 23:00, so really can't find a reason for
    > the fall in responce. And yes, as soon as a PC is logged on as a
    > non-domain client everything works fast.

    Could it be that they are configured to reconnect to mapped drives that
    don't exist or are unresponsive?

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, Mar 27, 2006

  3. dimon

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have observed this problem at 3 locations now... When workstations
    > are connected to a Small Business server 2003 they are very slow in
    > doing anything (local file loading, internet browsing, simply opening
    > new windows). As soon as this slow machine is loged on to as a
    > non-domain PC everything works in a blink of an eye. Situations are
    > similar: 1 Server, 4-5 workstations (using Outlook and Sage). Network
    > runs at 100mbps switch using a router as a DHCP server.
    >
    > Another problem I saw in one setup case is that at around 18:00 all
    > workstations grind to nearly a stand still. Checked backups - all
    > backups are due to start at 23:00, so really can't find a reason for
    > the fall in responce. And yes, as soon as a PC is logged on as a
    > non-domain client everything works fast.

    Many issues, like improper DNS settings, to little MEMORY in the server,
    improper RAID setup (or no raid), using a Workstation instead of a real
    server, crappy AV software (or improperly configured), etc.....

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Mar 27, 2006
  4. dimon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:e09hil$2rn$,
    Vanguard spewed forth:
    > "dimon" <> wrote in message
    >> I have observed this problem at 3 locations now... When workstations
    >> are connected to a Small Business server 2003 they are very slow in
    >> doing anything (local file loading, internet browsing, simply opening
    >> new windows). As soon as this slow machine is loged on to as a
    >> non-domain PC everything works in a blink of an eye. Situations are
    >> similar: 1 Server, 4-5 workstations (using Outlook and Sage). Network
    >> runs at 100mbps switch using a router as a DHCP server.
    >>
    >> Another problem I saw in one setup case is that at around 18:00 all
    >> workstations grind to nearly a stand still. Checked backups - all
    >> backups are due to start at 23:00, so really can't find a reason for
    >> the fall in responce. And yes, as soon as a PC is logged on as a
    >> non-domain client everything works fast.

    > Could it be that they are configured to reconnect to mapped drives
    > that don't exist or are unresponsive?

    Oh gawd do I remember that one! Took forever to figure out. Someone else had
    installed the software that was looking for the non-existant network mapped
    drive, so I didn't have a clue. That system took 10 minutes to boot and
    would often hang. Once the mapping was resolved, it boots in less than 90
    seconds now.

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 28, 2006
  5. dimon

    dimon Guest

    Wouldn't wrong mapped drives just make it slow on start up but OK
    during normal working?

    dimon, Mar 28, 2006
  6. dimon

    Vanguard Guest

    "dimon" <> wrote in message
    > Wouldn't wrong mapped drives just make it slow on start up but OK
    > during normal working?

    Nope. When you open Explorer, it tries to connect to any disconnected
    mapped drives. When you navigate around, a drive that becomes
    disconnected will get reconnected (because Explorer will try to show it
    in the tree list). If you open a Browse window within an application to
    save a file, again it must go connect to all those disconnected drives.
    A mapped drive that becomes unresponsive may not appear as disconnected
    but then it isn't responding, either, and Windows waits for awhile
    before giving up. Anything that attempts to list the avaiable device
    paths will hit the mapped drives because you defined them. I've even
    seen a defective CD-ROM drive hang up Explorer because it would connect
    but not respond.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, Mar 28, 2006
  7. dimon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:e0bq09$1pip$,
    Vanguard spewed forth:
    > "dimon" <> wrote in message
    >> Wouldn't wrong mapped drives just make it slow on start up but OK
    >> during normal working?
    >>

    > Nope. When you open Explorer, it tries to connect to any disconnected
    > mapped drives. When you navigate around, a drive that becomes
    > disconnected will get reconnected (because Explorer will try to show
    > it in the tree list). If you open a Browse window within an
    > application to save a file, again it must go connect to all those
    > disconnected drives. A mapped drive that becomes unresponsive may not
    > appear as disconnected but then it isn't responding, either, and
    > Windows waits for awhile before giving up. Anything that attempts to
    > list the avaiable device paths will hit the mapped drives because you
    > defined them. I've even seen a defective CD-ROM drive hang up
    > Explorer because it would connect but not respond.

    Exactly. It really does muck up the whole interface.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 28, 2006