    pigeons?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 10, 2006

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Roy Bean Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Why do Cheques take 5+ bloody days to clear? Can someone perhaps from
    > the banking industry explain this to me? I mean - FFS! Either the person
    > who wrote the cheque has the money or he doesn't. Why does it take
    > SOOOOO LOOOOONG to check this and then transfer the money or decline?
    > Commonsense tells me it should only take a couple days at the MOST.
    >
    > I'd love it if someone can justify this for me. I'll learn to accept it
    > if there are actually sensible reasons why (though I'm hard pressed to
    > imagine what these can be), but FIVE days? Are banks still using carrier
    > pigeons?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    So they have use of your money for five days

    Roy Bean, Sep 10, 2006

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:29:38 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Why do Cheques take 5+ bloody days to clear? Can someone perhaps from
    > the banking industry explain this to me? I mean - FFS! Either the person
    > who wrote the cheque has the money or he doesn't.

    Historically the cheque had to be physically taken to Databank for
    processing, and then had to be physically taken to the branch where the
    a/c was domiciled in order to verify the signature.

    It is not sufficient to see if the person has the money - the bank needed
    to verify that the person who wrote the cheque really was the person whose
    a/c the cheque was drawn on.

    Of course, IIRC, these days the bank no longer checks signature on cheques
    under a certain dollar value. (can't remember what that dollar value is)

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...

    MaHogany, Sep 10, 2006
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jerry Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:29:38 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >

    >>Why do Cheques take 5+ bloody days to clear? Can someone perhaps from
    >>the banking industry explain this to me? I mean - FFS! Either the person
    >>who wrote the cheque has the money or he doesn't.

    > Historically the cheque had to be physically taken to Databank for
    > processing, and then had to be physically taken to the branch where the
    > a/c was domiciled in order to verify the signature.
    >
    > It is not sufficient to see if the person has the money - the bank needed
    > to verify that the person who wrote the cheque really was the person whose
    > a/c the cheque was drawn on.
    >
    > Of course, IIRC, these days the bank no longer checks signature on cheques
    > under a certain dollar value. (can't remember what that dollar value is)
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    Millions of cheques used to get written every week. The banks never
    checked the signatures. The document itself got sent to the home bank
    eventually, but the transaction was processed overnight at Databank.

    Jerry, Sep 10, 2006
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    peterwn Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > MaHogany wrote:
    >
    > Millions of cheques used to get written every week. The banks never
    > checked the signatures. The document itself got sent to the home bank
    > eventually, but the transaction was processed overnight at Databank.

    Even 25 years ago, banks scrutinised every cheque and 'bounced' them
    for trivial things like forgetting to write the word 'dollars' or
    forgetting the date. AFAIK they checked all signatures, although it is
    possible at that time they only checked signatures on a portion of
    cheques.

    They then realised that it was more economic to dispense with this and
    bear any resulting losses. This is also since a court will not AFAIK
    invalidate a cheque for drafting errors (even including post dating)
    where the transaction was otherwise valid.

    The most awkward time is when doing two large back to back cheque
    transactions on your cheque account. You may find yourself locked out
    of EFT-POS and ATM's for several days. One should withdraw a weeks
    need of cash prior to such a trandaction pair and use your credit card
    where possible. Otherwise ask the other party for a bank cheque or a
    direct credit into yoiur bank account.

    peterwn, Sep 10, 2006
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Tony Guest

    > Even 25 years ago, banks scrutinised every cheque and 'bounced' them
    > for trivial things like forgetting to write the word 'dollars' or
    > forgetting the date. AFAIK they checked all signatures, although it is
    > possible at that time they only checked signatures on a portion of
    > cheques.
    >
    > They then realised that it was more economic to dispense with this and
    > bear any resulting losses. This is also since a court will not AFAIK
    > invalidate a cheque for drafting errors (even including post dating)
    > where the transaction was otherwise valid.
    >
    > The most awkward time is when doing two large back to back cheque
    > transactions on your cheque account. You may find yourself locked out
    > of EFT-POS and ATM's for several days. One should withdraw a weeks
    > need of cash prior to such a trandaction pair and use your credit card
    > where possible. Otherwise ask the other party for a bank cheque or a
    > direct credit into yoiur bank account.

    note - I spent 5 years working at Databank/EDS.

    1. EDS still processes the cheques.
    2. Signatures are not checked unless the cheque is disputed.
    3. The five days is now purely so the bank can make a bit more out of
    your money, two days could be justified in todays environment, but
    certainly not five.

    Tony, Sep 10, 2006
  7. Tony <> wrote:

    > > Even 25 years ago, banks scrutinised every cheque and 'bounced' them
    > > for trivial things like forgetting to write the word 'dollars' or
    > > forgetting the date. AFAIK they checked all signatures, although it is
    > > possible at that time they only checked signatures on a portion of
    > > cheques.
    > >
    > > They then realised that it was more economic to dispense with this and
    > > bear any resulting losses. This is also since a court will not AFAIK
    > > invalidate a cheque for drafting errors (even including post dating)
    > > where the transaction was otherwise valid.
    > >
    > > The most awkward time is when doing two large back to back cheque
    > > transactions on your cheque account. You may find yourself locked out
    > > of EFT-POS and ATM's for several days. One should withdraw a weeks
    > > need of cash prior to such a trandaction pair and use your credit card
    > > where possible. Otherwise ask the other party for a bank cheque or a
    > > direct credit into yoiur bank account.
    > >

    > note - I spent 5 years working at Databank/EDS.
    >
    > 1. EDS still processes the cheques.
    > 2. Signatures are not checked unless the cheque is disputed.
    > 3. The five days is now purely so the bank can make a bit more out of
    > your money, two days could be justified in todays environment, but
    > certainly not five.

    Ok, I banked a cheque on the 6th. I just rang Kiwibank - they tell me it
    is set to clear on the 13th. What RILES me is they KNOW the date. They
    know every f**king thing they need to know in order to process the SOB.
    But nope - still got to wait five WORKING days. F**k me - even regular
    transactions are actioned by my bank during weekends nowadays! But still
    not f**king cheques!

    Oh yeah - I can still pay $25 I think it is to get a 'fast answer' on a
    cheque LMAO. Still not guarrenteed to happen faster though!
    Unbe-f**king-lievable.

    *grinds teeth*

    Arseholes.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 10, 2006
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Philip Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Tony <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Even 25 years ago, banks scrutinised every cheque and 'bounced' them
    >>> for trivial things like forgetting to write the word 'dollars' or
    >>> forgetting the date. AFAIK they checked all signatures, although it is
    >>> possible at that time they only checked signatures on a portion of
    >>> cheques.
    >>>
    >>> They then realised that it was more economic to dispense with this and
    >>> bear any resulting losses. This is also since a court will not AFAIK
    >>> invalidate a cheque for drafting errors (even including post dating)
    >>> where the transaction was otherwise valid.
    >>>
    >>> The most awkward time is when doing two large back to back cheque
    >>> transactions on your cheque account. You may find yourself locked out
    >>> of EFT-POS and ATM's for several days. One should withdraw a weeks
    >>> need of cash prior to such a trandaction pair and use your credit card
    >>> where possible. Otherwise ask the other party for a bank cheque or a
    >>> direct credit into yoiur bank account.
    >>>

    >> note - I spent 5 years working at Databank/EDS.
    >>
    >> 1. EDS still processes the cheques.
    >> 2. Signatures are not checked unless the cheque is disputed.
    >> 3. The five days is now purely so the bank can make a bit more out of
    >> your money, two days could be justified in todays environment, but
    >> certainly not five.

    > Ok, I banked a cheque on the 6th. I just rang Kiwibank - they tell me it
    > is set to clear on the 13th. What RILES me is they KNOW the date. They
    > know every f**king thing they need to know in order to process the SOB.
    > But nope - still got to wait five WORKING days. F**k me - even regular
    > transactions are actioned by my bank during weekends nowadays! But still
    > not f**king cheques!
    >
    > Oh yeah - I can still pay $25 I think it is to get a 'fast answer' on a
    > cheque LMAO. Still not guarrenteed to happen faster though!
    > Unbe-f**king-lievable.
    >
    > *grinds teeth*
    >
    > Arseholes.

    You might hav done better to have your money sent to you by electronic
    transfer or by cashiers' cheque (bank cheque, whatever it's called here).

    I have the impression that banks would rather people didn't write
    cheques, and their charges reflect that fact.

    It's still better than in some other countries: in the UK, if I go to a
    branch of your bank and pay cash money into your account, you still
    won't be able to draw it until three working days after I paid it in
    (not counting the day I paid it in).

    Now that sucks.

    Philip

    Philip, Sep 10, 2006
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    peterwn Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > note - I spent 5 years working at Databank/EDS.
    >
    > 1. EDS still processes the cheques.
    > 2. Signatures are not checked unless the cheque is disputed.
    > 3. The five days is now purely so the bank can make a bit more out of
    > your money, two days could be justified in todays environment, but
    > certainly not five.

    I think that banks still reserve the right to manually check cheques
    and try and contact customers in the event of problems before
    'bouncing' cheques and a five day 'window' does facilitate this.
    However I would concede in more recent times banks would make such
    decisions more quickly and more ruthlessly than in the past.

    This is also a matter where banks should use common sense and build
    this into their computer systems. For a properly run account the risk
    to the bank is minimal by allowing routine ATM withdrawals and EFT-POS
    transactions in the face of an uncleared cheque.

    peterwn, Sep 10, 2006
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <newscache$re6e5j$wqm$>,
    says...
    > > Even 25 years ago, banks scrutinised every cheque and 'bounced' them
    > > for trivial things like forgetting to write the word 'dollars' or
    > > forgetting the date. AFAIK they checked all signatures, although it is
    > > possible at that time they only checked signatures on a portion of
    > > cheques.
    > >
    > > They then realised that it was more economic to dispense with this and
    > > bear any resulting losses. This is also since a court will not AFAIK
    > > invalidate a cheque for drafting errors (even including post dating)
    > > where the transaction was otherwise valid.
    > >
    > > The most awkward time is when doing two large back to back cheque
    > > transactions on your cheque account. You may find yourself locked out
    > > of EFT-POS and ATM's for several days. One should withdraw a weeks
    > > need of cash prior to such a trandaction pair and use your credit card
    > > where possible. Otherwise ask the other party for a bank cheque or a
    > > direct credit into yoiur bank account.
    > >

    > note - I spent 5 years working at Databank/EDS.
    >
    > 1. EDS still processes the cheques.
    > 2. Signatures are not checked unless the cheque is disputed.
    > 3. The five days is now purely so the bank can make a bit more out of
    > your money, two days could be justified in todays environment, but
    > certainly not five.

    But even *bank* cheques take five days to clear. Why's that?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 10, 2006
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Fran Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > In article <newscache$re6e5j$wqm$>,
    > says...
    >> > Even 25 years ago, banks scrutinised every cheque and 'bounced' them
    >> > for trivial things like forgetting to write the word 'dollars' or
    >> > forgetting the date. AFAIK they checked all signatures, although it is
    >> > possible at that time they only checked signatures on a portion of
    >> > cheques.
    >> >
    >> > They then realised that it was more economic to dispense with this and
    >> > bear any resulting losses. This is also since a court will not AFAIK
    >> > invalidate a cheque for drafting errors (even including post dating)
    >> > where the transaction was otherwise valid.
    >> >
    >> > The most awkward time is when doing two large back to back cheque
    >> > transactions on your cheque account. You may find yourself locked out
    >> > of EFT-POS and ATM's for several days. One should withdraw a weeks
    >> > need of cash prior to such a trandaction pair and use your credit card
    >> > where possible. Otherwise ask the other party for a bank cheque or a
    >> > direct credit into yoiur bank account.
    >> >

    >> note - I spent 5 years working at Databank/EDS.
    >>
    >> 1. EDS still processes the cheques.
    >> 2. Signatures are not checked unless the cheque is disputed.
    >> 3. The five days is now purely so the bank can make a bit more out of
    >> your money, two days could be justified in todays environment, but
    >> certainly not five.

    > But even *bank* cheques take five days to clear. Why's that?

    At ASB they always tell me they'll clear in 3 working days.

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Sep 10, 2006
  12. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Philip Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <newscache$re6e5j$wqm$>,
    > says...
    >>> Even 25 years ago, banks scrutinised every cheque and 'bounced' them
    >>> for trivial things like forgetting to write the word 'dollars' or
    >>> forgetting the date. AFAIK they checked all signatures, although it is
    >>> possible at that time they only checked signatures on a portion of
    >>> cheques.
    >>>
    >>> They then realised that it was more economic to dispense with this and
    >>> bear any resulting losses. This is also since a court will not AFAIK
    >>> invalidate a cheque for drafting errors (even including post dating)
    >>> where the transaction was otherwise valid.
    >>>
    >>> The most awkward time is when doing two large back to back cheque
    >>> transactions on your cheque account. You may find yourself locked out
    >>> of EFT-POS and ATM's for several days. One should withdraw a weeks
    >>> need of cash prior to such a trandaction pair and use your credit card
    >>> where possible. Otherwise ask the other party for a bank cheque or a
    >>> direct credit into yoiur bank account.
    >>>

    >> note - I spent 5 years working at Databank/EDS.
    >>
    >> 1. EDS still processes the cheques.
    >> 2. Signatures are not checked unless the cheque is disputed.
    >> 3. The five days is now purely so the bank can make a bit more out of
    >> your money, two days could be justified in todays environment, but
    >> certainly not five.

    > But even *bank* cheques take five days to clear. Why's that?

    I can imagine rthem saying that it's five dasys before they are actually
    credited with the value of the bank cheque, assuming it's not drawn on
    their own bank. If it is, it ought to be able to be credited at once -
    and in my limited experience with BNZ, it is.

    Philip

    Philip, Sep 11, 2006
  13. In article <1hlhj08.1emynyg1k8iiqdN%>, (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >Why do Cheques take 5+ bloody days to clear? Can someone perhaps from
    >the banking industry explain this to me? I mean - FFS! Either the person
    >who wrote the cheque has the money or he doesn't. Why does it take
    >SOOOOO LOOOOONG to check this and then transfer the money or decline?
    >Commonsense tells me it should only take a couple days at the MOST.
    >
    >I'd love it if someone can justify this for me. I'll learn to accept it
    >if there are actually sensible reasons why (though I'm hard pressed to
    >imagine what these can be), but FIVE days? Are banks still using carrier
    >pigeons?

    The purpose is to make you pay the $30 "immediate clearance fee" to reduce
    it to one hour ... which they can do. That said, I have heard of at least
    one case where they did that, cleared it ... and there was no money :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 11, 2006
  14. In article <>, "peterwn" <> wrote:

    >Jerry wrote:
    >> MaHogany wrote:
    >>
    >> Millions of cheques used to get written every week. The banks never
    >> checked the signatures. The document itself got sent to the home bank
    >> eventually, but the transaction was processed overnight at Databank.

    >Even 25 years ago, banks scrutinised every cheque and 'bounced' them
    >for trivial things like forgetting to write the word 'dollars' or
    >forgetting the date. AFAIK they checked all signatures, although it is
    >possible at that time they only checked signatures on a portion of
    >cheques.

    They certainly did not check all signatures. :)

    >The most awkward time is when doing two large back to back cheque
    >transactions on your cheque account. You may find yourself locked out
    >of EFT-POS and ATM's for several days. One should withdraw a weeks
    >need of cash prior to such a trandaction pair and use your credit card
    >where possible. Otherwise ask the other party for a bank cheque or a
    >direct credit into yoiur bank account.

    ... and bank cheques still take the 5 days to clear ... or they still did a
    couple of years ago :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 11, 2006
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    MarkH Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in

    > Why do Cheques take 5+ bloody days to clear? Can someone perhaps from
    > the banking industry explain this to me? I mean - FFS! Either the person
    > who wrote the cheque has the money or he doesn't. Why does it take
    > SOOOOO LOOOOONG to check this and then transfer the money or decline?
    > Commonsense tells me it should only take a couple days at the MOST.

    Unfortunately there is an option for the person that wrote the cheque to
    cancel it, that is why the 5 day thing is there.

    > I'd love it if someone can justify this for me. I'll learn to accept it
    > if there are actually sensible reasons why (though I'm hard pressed to
    > imagine what these can be), but FIVE days? Are banks still using carrier
    > pigeons?

    Some have suggested it is so the banks can make more money, but the bank
    will credit your account immediately and your will start earning interest
    if it is an interest bearing account calculated on the daily balance.

    If you have a problem it is with the person that wrote the cheque, maybe
    you should let them know that we are now in the 21st century and can now
    pay money from one account to another using the internet.

    When I bank a cheque into my Westpac account then $200 is available
    immediately and the remainder is available in about 5 working days, but the
    entire amount can still be reversed out if the cheque gets cancelled.
    Westpac wont let me access thousands on a cheque that might bounce or be
    cancelled - which is probably fair.

    My solution to this issue is a fairly simple one - I bank the cheque and
    spend money on my credit card, once the cheque has cleared I can then
    transfer however much I like to my credit card. Of course it doesn't hurt
    to have enough credit limit to easily cover as much as I need. If I need
    cash it is cheaper to pay the $2 fee for a cash advance from my credit card
    than to pay for a quick clearance on the cheque.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Sep 11, 2006
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Max Burke Guest

    > Jamie Kahn Genet scribbled:
    > Why do Cheques take 5+ bloody days to clear? Can someone perhaps from
    > the banking industry explain this to me? I mean - FFS! Either the
    > person who wrote the cheque has the money or he doesn't. Why does it
    > take SOOOOO LOOOOONG to check this and then transfer the money or
    > decline? Commonsense tells me it should only take a couple days at
    > the MOST.

    If your bank, or a bank officer is telling you it's going to take 5 BUSINESS
    days to clear then they're wrong.
    At the end of last year the all major New Zealand trading banks
    changed/reduced the cheque clearance waiting period to 3 business days. BTW
    the government of the day removed '5 day clearance' legal requirement from
    the 'law books' back in the late 1990's, but it has taken the banks 6+ years
    to reach an agreement with each other about this....

    NOTE: Business days being the defining factor.
    So if you bank a cheque late in the week (Thursday/Friday) then it typically
    wont clear until Monday or Tuesday night the following week. (longer if it's
    a long weekend)

    > I'd love it if someone can justify this for me. I'll learn to accept
    > it if there are actually sensible reasons why (though I'm hard
    > pressed to imagine what these can be), but FIVE days? Are banks still
    > using carrier pigeons?

    It's [all] bank's policy to hold cheques until the issuing bank clears (or
    cancels) that cheque.
    There are several ways you can get cheques cleared early. Most of them
    require you to pay a fee to cover the costs.

    If you have a 'personal banker' they may be able to help speed it up. You
    could even try persuading your bank to add an 'uncleared funds' option to
    your account which will allow you access to uncleared deposits/cheques [up
    to a set maximum] on the understanding that if you draw on the uncleared
    funds and that deposit/cheque is then dishonoured by the issueing bank then
    you will have to pay back the money you have drawn on.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Sep 11, 2006
  17. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Nho Whei Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:04:18 +1200, Jerry
    <> wrote:

    >MaHogany wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:29:38 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>

    >>>Why do Cheques take 5+ bloody days to clear? Can someone perhaps from
    >>>the banking industry explain this to me? I mean - FFS! Either the person
    >>>who wrote the cheque has the money or he doesn't.

    >> Historically the cheque had to be physically taken to Databank for
    >> processing, and then had to be physically taken to the branch where the
    >> a/c was domiciled in order to verify the signature.
    >>
    >> It is not sufficient to see if the person has the money - the bank needed
    >> to verify that the person who wrote the cheque really was the person whose
    >> a/c the cheque was drawn on.
    >>
    >> Of course, IIRC, these days the bank no longer checks signature on cheques
    >> under a certain dollar value. (can't remember what that dollar value is)
    >>

    >> Ma Hogany
    >>

    >Millions of cheques used to get written every week. The banks never
    >checked the signatures. The document itself got sent to the home bank
    >eventually, but the transaction was processed overnight at Databank.

    I think they may have changed the law to no longer require the actual
    paper be returned to the "account-holding" branch. Certainly a move
    was often mooted in days in fond days of yore.
    Do any of the old network centres still exist?

    Nho Whei, Sep 11, 2006
  18. Jamie Kahn Genet

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:04:18 +1200, Jerry wrote:

    > Millions of cheques used to get written every week. The banks never
    > checked the signatures. The document itself got sent to the home bank
    > eventually, but the transaction was processed overnight at Databank.

    And who checked to see if a stop had been put on the cheque?

    The NZPOSB certainly DID check signatures.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...

    MaHogany, Sep 11, 2006
  19. Jamie Kahn Genet

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 23:56:16 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > .. and bank cheques still take the 5 days to clear ... or they still did a
    > couple of years ago :)

    POSB bank cheques deposited into a POSB a/c were cleared immediately.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...

    MaHogany, Sep 11, 2006
  20. Jamie Kahn Genet

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:47:24 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > F**k me - even regular
    > transactions are actioned by my bank during weekends nowadays! But still
    > not f**king cheques!

    Potty mouth!

    Two points:

    1/ Cheques ARE "regular transations".