    everyone should be using IE.

    My question is why do some URLs I click on every once in a while open
    IE instead of FF? It doesn't happen often, but I'm just curious.
    jackd, Mar 11, 2013

  2. jackd

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:48:34 +0000 (UTC), jackd wrote:

    > I'm using Win xp with all updates.
    >
    > I use Firefox for my browser. I do not have it set as my default
    > browser. Almost every time I click on a link, it is Firefox that
    > opens. I never use IE except when a Web page is not working right. Then
    > I check with IE to see if the page was made by somebody who thinks
    > everyone should be using IE.
    >
    > My question is why do some URLs I click on every once in a while open
    > IE instead of FF? It doesn't happen often, but I'm just curious.

    Generally there are two possible reasons.

    1. Which application opens a URL, depends on the URL's protocol.

    Examples of URL protocols
    http://www.google.com/ -- HTTP protocol
    mailto: -- MAILTO protocol
    ftp://mirrors.easynews.com/mozilla/ -- FTP protocol
    nntp://news.eternal-september.org/XnsA1808CB825070samnonenet@78.46.70.116
    -- NNTP protocol

    2. If clicking the URL tells Firefox to download a file and open it in
    a helper application, the helper application could be IE.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Mar 11, 2013