    dependencies between them, to be managed through a single mechanism. Even
    when the problem was finally uncovered, it took a separate download and
    install of a package from another source before the update could proceed.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2008

  2. In article <>, geoff did write:

    > Why are you interested ?

    Because Vista is such a fascinatingly instructive example of how NOT to do
    so many things...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 28, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rhino Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:02:02 +1200, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >Why are you interested ?
    >
    >geoff

    He's not really interested. Lawrence just wants to wave his "My O/S
    is better than yours" flag again.

    Pretty sad actually :(
    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, May 28, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fantail Guest

    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:02:02 +1200, "geoff" <>
    > wrote:

    > He's not really interested.  Lawrence just wants to wave his "My O/S
    > is better than yours" flag again.
    >
    > Pretty sad actually :(
    > Cheers, Rhino

    I disagree. Trivialization ("pretty sad") of someone's POV is a
    standard propaganda technique. Someone needs to state the
    uncomfortable to the head-in-the-sand masses.

    Fantail, May 30, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 21:38:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Some Vista users won't be offered the option to install SP1
    > <http://apcmag.com/microsoft_admits_some_pcs_wont_be_offered_vista_sp1.htm>.
    > The reason is that Vista has detected that they have a potential driver
    > conflict that may cause the SP1 update to fail.
    >
    > Except it won't tell you what the reason is, you simply won't see SP1 as an
    > available update.
    >
    > Two points come to mind:
    >
    > 1) How hard would it have been to either display a message, or write an
    > entry to a system log somewhere explaining what the problem was? (As the
    > author reports, it took Microsoft technical support over a day to get to
    > the root of the problem.)
    > 2) Dimdows is severely handicapped by the lack of a common package and
    > repository management system, that allows all software updates, and
    > dependencies between them, to be managed through a single mechanism. Even
    > when the problem was finally uncovered, it took a separate download and
    > install of a package from another source before the update could proceed.

    ZzzzZZzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.....

    Your posts might mean something if Linux didn't completley suck hairy
    balls. We all hate Dimdows as much as you do but there simply isn't
    anything better to use.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jun 1, 2008
  6. In article <qozuoxl70h7p$.1udly0v8awlal$>, Will Spencer did
    write:

    > We all hate Dimdows as much as you do ...

    Really? That's a surprising admission from someone who hasn't seemed to have
    less than fulsome praise for Vista in the recent past. Been hitting a few
    hiccups, have you?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 2, 2008
  7. In article <>, Fantail <> wrote:

    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:02:02 +1200, "geoff" <>
    >> wrote:

    >> He's not really interested. =A0Lawrence just wants to wave his "My O/S
    >> is better than yours" flag again.
    >>
    >> Pretty sad actually :(
    >> Cheers, Rhino

    >I disagree. Trivialization ("pretty sad") of someone's POV is a
    >standard propaganda technique. Someone needs to state the
    >uncomfortable to the head-in-the-sand masses.

    ... and that would be fine ... except ...
    At some point, opinion turns into propaganda, where no data can change the
    point of view. Once we get there, any value in the aforesaid opinion is
    gone. :)
    This happened last year for me IIRC as far as Lawrence is concerned.
    Given I generally support open source s/w and file formats, and given he's
    been in my bit bucket for a while now, it can be clearly seen that
    propaganda helps no one. He should be toning it down/helping instead of
    making up news. That he doesn't do this after it has been suggested to
    him really says it all for me. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 3, 2008