Why Dimdows Sucks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2010.

  1. The definitive guide
    <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/guides/2010/10/the-21st-century-guide-to-platform-trolling-windows-sucks.ars>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2010

  2. Holy shit, I thought that was bad enough, but this
    <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756733%28WS.10%29.aspx> really
    takes the cake: did you know that if you type

    del *.htm

    by default it deletes all files whose extensions START with .htm? Including
    ..html, for example?

    Law of least surprise, Microsoft has heard of it. No wonder Dimdows users
    are scarred by the command line...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2010

  3. What it’s like to work at Microsoft
    <http://moishelettvin.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-shutdown-crapfest.html>:

    Twenty-four of them were connected sorta closely to the code, and of
    those twenty four there were exactly zero with final say in how the
    feature worked. Somewhere in those other 19 was somebody who did have
    final say but who that was I have no idea since when I left the team --
    after a year -- there was still no decision about exactly how this
    feature would work.

    ... Windows has a tree of repositories: developers check in to the
    nodes, and periodically the changes in the nodes are integrated up one
    level in the hierarchy. At a different periodicity, changes are
    integrated down the tree from the root to the nodes. In Windows, the
    node I was working on was 4 levels removed from the root. The
    periodicity of integration decayed exponentially and unpredictably as
    you approached the root so it ended up that it took between 1 and 3
    months for my code to get to the root node, and some multiple of that
    for it to reach the other nodes.

    So in addition to the above problems with decision-making, each team had
    no idea what the other team was actually doing until it had been done
    for weeks.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Brocker Guest

    On Oct 19, 5:31 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > The definitive guide
    > <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/guides/2010/10/the-21st-century-guid...>.

    Hopefully you'll be posting a reminder for the Linux and Mac ones
    Brocker, Oct 19, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    On 19/10/10 7:25 PM, Brocker wrote:

    > Hopefully you'll be posting a reminder for the Linux and Mac ones

    He won't have do, according to the stats desktop Linux is dead.
    Another Me, Oct 20, 2010
  6. In message
    <>, Brocker
    wrote:

    > Hopefully you'll be posting a reminder for the Linux and Mac ones

    Here: go wild <http://simson.net/ref/ugh.pdf>.

    By the way, one or two parts might be a teentsy bit out of date...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2010