Why digital cameras are no good

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Scott W, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    I feel qualified to speak to this because over the years I have had so
    many people who were anxious to tell me why digital cameras were no
    good.

    The part that amuses me is that as digital cameras have been getting
    better the reasons given as to why they are no good change, often what
    was considered as a large issue when the digital camera was inferior to
    a film camera is now dismissed when the digital camera is better. As
    an example, when I bought my first digital camera memory cost LOTS of
    money and those of us shooting digital where very limited in how many
    photos we could shoot before needing to download our photos. At that
    time this was pointed out to be a large problem with digital cameras,
    but now I can shoot something like 1000 shots with just a few CF cards,
    this would be like 28 rolls of film, but the film people now seem to
    think that the number of shots you can take is not so important.
    Digital cameras needed more light then film camera at one point in
    time, this was seen as a large problem, but now that digital cameras
    can take good photos using about 1/8 th the amount of light that a film
    camera needs this is discounted as not all that important. Of course
    the one I have heard the most about is shutter lag, now that cameras
    like the 20D are here shutter lag seems not to be an issue, my 20D has
    shorter shutter lag then my film SLR and even if the film SLR could
    keep up it would use a full roll of film in about 1 second. Or there
    was the problem how will you get prints from your digital camera, now
    at Costco I can get prints cheaper from my digital camera then I can
    from my film camera.

    One by one what were problems for digital camera are now where digital
    camera shines.

    There is getting to be less and less now to complain about digital
    cameras, and so now I am beginning to see some rather amusing problems
    brought up, The cameras don't look good or they don't use film and
    so are not really doing photography or there is no craft in using a
    digital camera. I have even heard people complain that they miss the
    grain that film has. The fact that people find it necessary to try and
    make these kind of things into issue is an indication of just how good
    digital camera have gotten.

    Now there are people who find it necessary to compare digital cameras
    to 4 x 5 view cameras, right so just how many people are taken photos
    with view cameras? I live in Hawaii, this has got to be one of the
    most photographed areas in the world, so how many people have I seen
    using a view camera, zero, zip, none. I am sure they are out there but
    to try to find fault with digital cameras because they don't have the
    resolution of a 4 x 5 is just plain silly.

    The one thing I am certain of is that as the years go by and digit
    cameras continue to improve there will always be a few people who will
    manage to find fault with them. Just what they will find fault with in
    5 or 10 years from now I am not sure, but it should be interesting.

    Scott
    Scott W, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Scott W

    Julian Tan Guest

    I think you hit the nail on the head, Scott. With a mass manufactured
    product, no one model will usually suit everyone's tastes. There will
    be people who nitpick about this feature vs that feature and wish that
    it had x, y and z.

    As technology improves, people's expectations grow higher as well. A
    couple of years back, when 2-3 megapixels was the standard for CCDs,
    people were wishing for 4, 5, 6 or even 8. Now consumer models are
    hitting the 8 megapixel zone, people want 12 and beyond.

    I think film cameras were also limited very much by physical factors -
    mainly the film and the process of exposing frames. Because
    manufacturers did not have control over the film, there weren't many
    factors to play with - apart from shutter and aperture. Maybe they
    could improve the AF and exposure control electronics, but that was
    largely "intangible" to users.

    With digital and the use of CCD / CMOS sensors, and digital processors
    we're in a whole new ball game. There are so many more variables now
    and much of the factors can be tweaked - i.e. how large CCDs are, how
    many photosites/pixels go into the CCD, and everything else that goes
    in to the processory and firmware such as speed of operation, buffer
    memory, image processing algorithms etc.

    Digital is progressing, but I think there is plenty of scope for
    improvement.

    Cheers,
    Julian
    http://www.shuttertalk.com - the friendliest digital photography forums
    on the net!
    Julian Tan, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Hey, there's some "audiophiles" who insist that CDs sound bad!

    hotchkisstrio, Apr 8, 2005
  4. Scott W

    stormwatcher Guest

    hotchkisstrio wrote:
    > Hey, there's some "audiophiles" who insist that CDs sound bad!

    Oh geez. Many CDs do sound bad. Digital recorded and poorly mastered =
    lousy CD. Besides, what does this have to with with digital cameras??
    stormwatcher, Apr 8, 2005
  5. stormwatcher <> wrote:
    : hotchkisstrio wrote:
    : > Hey, there's some "audiophiles" who insist that CDs sound bad!

    : Oh geez. Many CDs do sound bad. Digital recorded and poorly mastered =
    : lousy CD. Besides, what does this have to with with digital cameras??

    The same analog vs digital disagreement is the root of both. There will
    always be those who mistrust or will find a fault with a digital medium,
    no matter what field is being digitized. And there will always be those
    that will hear no bad words about their favorite "new and improved"
    medium. In the middle are the majority of us who are happy with whatever
    works best for our particular need, and rarely find anything that works,
    to be bad. This same point of disagreement will continue, no matter if the
    medium is film vs digital, or CD vs vinyl (or even MP3) audio recording. I
    even know someone who refuses to use a word processor in favor of their
    old manual typewriter because "I know how to use this one".

    I am one who recognizes that no one recording/storage method is perfect
    for everyone or every situation. For each person and situation we will
    have to make our own judgement of what is best for that moment. Just wait
    one or two generations and there will be some new form of photographic
    medium that will be discussed as being better/worse than the old tried
    and true Digital. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Apr 8, 2005
  6. Scott W

    DHB Guest

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:35:33 +0000 (UTC), Randy Berbaum
    <> wrote:

    >stormwatcher <> wrote:
    >: hotchkisstrio wrote:
    >: > Hey, there's some "audiophiles" who insist that CDs sound bad!
    >
    >: Oh geez. Many CDs do sound bad. Digital recorded and poorly mastered =
    >: lousy CD. Besides, what does this have to with with digital cameras??
    >
    >The same analog vs digital disagreement is the root of both. There will
    >always be those who mistrust or will find a fault with a digital medium,
    >no matter what field is being digitized. And there will always be those
    >that will hear no bad words about their favorite "new and improved"
    >medium. In the middle are the majority of us who are happy with whatever
    >works best for our particular need, and rarely find anything that works,
    >to be bad. This same point of disagreement will continue, no matter if the
    >medium is film vs digital, or CD vs vinyl (or even MP3) audio recording. I
    >even know someone who refuses to use a word processor in favor of their
    >old manual typewriter because "I know how to use this one".
    >
    >I am one who recognizes that no one recording/storage method is perfect
    >for everyone or every situation. For each person and situation we will
    >have to make our own judgement of what is best for that moment. Just wait
    >one or two generations and there will be some new form of photographic
    >medium that will be discussed as being better/worse than the old tried
    >and true Digital. :)
    >
    >Randy
    >
    >==========
    >Randy Berbaum
    >Champaign, IL

    Many people have a hard time adjusting to change, especially
    at the rate technology is changing almost everything we do both
    directly & indirectly. As a general rule the older we get the harder
    it seems to be for us to learn something new. This is not intended to
    be an age discrimination statement but we tend to be creatures of
    habit & often take comfort in the familiar.

    Rather than face that we now need to learn something new
    because it's better, we might find it easier to berate something new
    in order to justify the old, thus we can remain in our comfort zone.
    As I remember back, I learned about computers on a Digital PDP-8 & my
    1st home computer was an Apple IIe back when every part in it could be
    purchased @ Radio Shack! Yes I now have a nice P4 PC so I have kept
    up.

    However this tendency to stick with what we know or reluctance
    to accept something new is far more common than most people think.
    Look at medical Doctors as an example. Many if not most still don't
    believe in acupuncture even though the newest MRI machines have been
    able to confirm the accuracy of the 2000+ year old practice. Did you
    know that Surgeons are not "required" to use any new procedure even if
    it has been "proven" to save XX% more lives than an older method?
    It's up to the Doctors & Hospital to make those choices & many Doctors
    stay with what they know best, even if it's not now the best thing for
    the patient.

    Strayed a bit too far off topic but change does not come easy
    to many & that has both a good & a bad side to it. Digital
    photography & I are good friends, it allows me to do so much more than
    I was able to afford to do with film alone. Each still has it's place
    depending on the situation but here is something to consider.

    A strong ElectoMagnetic Pulse (EMP) will disable almost every
    automobile on the road today because they have several microprocessors
    in them that they need to run but many older automobiles (pre-1980)
    would likely be unaffected & still functional. So as already stated
    by the previous post, older technology still has it's place where it
    actually may be better but like it or not, technology is & will
    continue to impact us with little regard as to our individual
    acceptance of it or not.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Apr 8, 2005
  7. Scott W

    stormwatcher Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > stormwatcher <> wrote:
    > : hotchkisstrio wrote:
    > : > Hey, there's some "audiophiles" who insist that CDs sound bad!
    >
    > : Oh geez. Many CDs do sound bad. Digital recorded and poorly

    mastered =
    > : lousy CD. Besides, what does this have to with with digital

    cameras??

    > The same analog vs digital disagreement is the root of both. There

    will
    > always be those who mistrust or will find a fault with a digital

    medium,
    > no matter what field is being digitized. And there will always be

    those
    > that will hear no bad words about their favorite "new and improved"
    > medium. In the middle are the majority of us who are happy with

    whatever
    > works best for our particular need, and rarely find anything that

    works,
    > to be bad. This same point of disagreement will continue, no matter

    if the
    > medium is film vs digital, or CD vs vinyl (or even MP3) audio

    recording. I
    > even know someone who refuses to use a word processor in favor of

    their
    > old manual typewriter because "I know how to use this one".

    As to the original comment that some "audiophiles" insist that CDs
    sound bad, that was often true originally. Thanks to "audiophiles"
    current CDs are far superior. Digital alone doesn't produce good sound
    (or pictures!).

    As for analog vs digital, I agree Randy. We are often creatures of
    habit and with film having been around for so long, it is difficult for
    many to give up. And whether film or digital, they are both only tools
    for producing an appealing photograph.

    Personally, though owning a digital camera, I still prefer film at this
    point. But I also can recognize that the improvements in digital have
    been tremendous. The day when I buy a dSLR are probably not too far
    off.

    > I am one who recognizes that no one recording/storage method is

    perfect
    > for everyone or every situation. For each person and situation we

    will
    > have to make our own judgement of what is best for that moment. Just

    wait
    > one or two generations and there will be some new form of

    photographic
    > medium that will be discussed as being better/worse than the old

    tried
    > and true Digital. :)

    Yup, technology marches on. My only wish is for the lense mount to
    remain the same. :)
    stormwatcher, Apr 8, 2005
  8. Scott W

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > stormwatcher <> wrote:
    > : hotchkisstrio wrote:
    > : > Hey, there's some "audiophiles" who insist that CDs sound bad!
    >
    > : Oh geez. Many CDs do sound bad. Digital recorded and poorly mastered =
    > : lousy CD. Besides, what does this have to with with digital cameras??
    >
    > The same analog vs digital disagreement is the root of both. There will
    > always be those who mistrust or will find a fault with a digital medium,
    > no matter what field is being digitized. And there will always be those
    > that will hear no bad words about their favorite "new and improved"
    > medium. In the middle are the majority of us who are happy with whatever
    > works best for our particular need, and rarely find anything that works,
    > to be bad. This same point of disagreement will continue, no matter if the
    > medium is film vs digital, or CD vs vinyl (or even MP3) audio recording. I
    > even know someone who refuses to use a word processor in favor of their
    > old manual typewriter because "I know how to use this one".
    >
    > I am one who recognizes that no one recording/storage method is perfect
    > for everyone or every situation. For each person and situation we will
    > have to make our own judgement of what is best for that moment. Just wait
    > one or two generations and there will be some new form of photographic
    > medium that will be discussed as being better/worse than the old tried
    > and true Digital. :)
    >
    > Randy
    >
    > ==========
    > Randy Berbaum
    > Champaign, IL

    I have to agree with you, Randy. On the other hand, anyone who doesn't
    see the advantages of a computer for text input over a typewriter is
    MANY bricks short of a full load!
    Just ONE key, 'backspace' tells me everything I need to know to abandon
    typewriters forever!

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 9, 2005
  9. Scott W

    Ron Hunter Guest

    DHB wrote:
> [...]

    > depending on the situation but here is something to consider.
    >
    > A strong ElectoMagnetic Pulse (EMP) will disable almost every
    > automobile on the road today because they have several microprocessors
    > in them that they need to run but many older automobiles (pre-1980)
    > would likely be unaffected & still functional. So as already stated
    > by the previous post, older technology still has it's place where it
    > actually may be better but like it or not, technology is & will
    > continue to impact us with little regard as to our individual
    > acceptance of it or not.
    >
    > Respectfully, DHB
    >

    > "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
    > or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
    > is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
    > to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    I am thankful that even though I have reached retirement age, I still
    LOVE to learn, and embrace change, as long as it can be shown to be
    better, for my purposes. If that ever changes, I hope someone will
    throw dirt on me so I don't decompose in sight....

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 9, 2005
  10. Scott W

    stormwatcher Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > I am thankful that even though I have reached retirement age, I still

    > LOVE to learn, and embrace change, as long as it can be shown to be
    > better, for my purposes. If that ever changes, I hope someone will
    > throw dirt on me so I don't decompose in sight....

    I am nowhere near retirement age but the last few years I have found
    myself becoming unconsciously resistant to change. I DON'T want a
    cellphone with a camera. I DON'T drool over the newest computer and I
    DON'T want a plasma TV.

    Should I be concerned? :)

    As I slip into digital, I imagine I will keep most of my old Pentax
    system since I have many fond memories with it. I also have a 1952
    vintage Rolleicord TLR, which although I only use several times a year,
    am still amazed at what a beautiful image it can produce. Beautiful
    camera in it's simplicity.

    I imagine that when I do purchase a dSLR, I will come to treasure it
    also. Though only a hobbyist, I love the equipment as much as the
    pictures.

    Geez, now I'm getting sentimental.
    stormwatcher, Apr 9, 2005
  11. Scott W

    Brian May Guest

    Ron> I have to agree with you, Randy. On the other hand, anyone
    Ron> who doesn't see the advantages of a computer for text input
    Ron> over a typewriter is MANY bricks short of a full load! Just
    Ron> ONE key, 'backspace' tells me everything I need to know to
    Ron> abandon typewriters forever!

    Not true. Before it was a verbal interface to your secretary
    (depending on your job of course). "I don't like this word. Please
    retype the entire page". The lack of the back space button didn't
    matter to you.

    Now, in the modern times, you have to do the typing and checking
    yourself...
    --
    Brian May <>
    Brian May, Apr 9, 2005
  12. Scott W

    Mike Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    .. Just what they will find fault with in
    > 5 or 10 years from now I am not sure, but it should be interesting.
    >
    > Scott

    How about "It's so easy to lose a CF card in the fridge, film boxes are so
    much easier to find."
    Mike, Apr 9, 2005
  13. Scott W

    Ron Hunter Guest

    stormwatcher wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >>I am thankful that even though I have reached retirement age, I still

    >>LOVE to learn, and embrace change, as long as it can be shown to be
    >>better, for my purposes. If that ever changes, I hope someone will
    >>throw dirt on me so I don't decompose in sight....

    > I am nowhere near retirement age but the last few years I have found
    > myself becoming unconsciously resistant to change. I DON'T want a
    > cellphone with a camera. I DON'T drool over the newest computer and I
    > DON'T want a plasma TV.
    >
    > Should I be concerned? :)
    >
    > As I slip into digital, I imagine I will keep most of my old Pentax
    > system since I have many fond memories with it. I also have a 1952
    > vintage Rolleicord TLR, which although I only use several times a year,
    > am still amazed at what a beautiful image it can produce. Beautiful
    > camera in it's simplicity.
    >
    > I imagine that when I do purchase a dSLR, I will come to treasure it
    > also. Though only a hobbyist, I love the equipment as much as the
    > pictures.
    >
    > Geez, now I'm getting sentimental.

    I do own a cellphone with a camera (sucks) and so many features that it
    has taken me weeks to learn which ones of them might be actually useful
    to me. I DO drool over new computers, since my old one is kinda slow by
    today's standards, and I don't have a large enough living area for a
    large plasma TV, the 30" CRT TV does just fine. BTW a DVR is a thing of
    beauty.
    I wouldn't want to part with my Minox B, either, even though I haven't
    taken a picture with it in 35 years.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 10, 2005
  14. Scott W

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Brian May wrote:

    > Ron> I have to agree with you, Randy. On the other hand, anyone
    > Ron> who doesn't see the advantages of a computer for text input
    > Ron> over a typewriter is MANY bricks short of a full load! Just
    > Ron> ONE key, 'backspace' tells me everything I need to know to
    > Ron> abandon typewriters forever!
    >
    > Not true. Before it was a verbal interface to your secretary
    > (depending on your job of course). "I don't like this word. Please
    > retype the entire page". The lack of the back space button didn't
    > matter to you.
    >
    > Now, in the modern times, you have to do the typing and checking
    > yourself...

    Sorry, but I never had a secretary. Most companies find other uses for
    their secretaries than computer nerds.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 10, 2005
  15. Scott W

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:27:25 +1000, Brian May
    <> wrote:

    > Ron> I have to agree with you, Randy. On the other hand, anyone
    > Ron> who doesn't see the advantages of a computer for text input
    > Ron> over a typewriter is MANY bricks short of a full load! Just
    > Ron> ONE key, 'backspace' tells me everything I need to know to
    > Ron> abandon typewriters forever!
    >
    >Not true. Before it was a verbal interface to your secretary
    >(depending on your job of course). "I don't like this word. Please
    >retype the entire page". The lack of the back space button didn't
    >matter to you.

    That's like saying, "The lack of a motorcycle didn't bother Paul
    Revere."
    Of course it didn't; he didn't have a concept of a motorcycle.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Apr 10, 2005
  16. Scott W

    Confused Guest

    On 8 Apr 2005 00:54:44 -0700
    In message <>
    Posted from http://groups.google.com
    "stormwatcher" <> wrote:

    > > Hey, there's some "audiophiles" who insist that CDs sound bad!

    > Oh geez. Many CDs do sound bad. Digital recorded and poorly mastered =
    > lousy CD. Besides, what does this have to with with digital cameras??

    Oh gosh, some CDs sound fabulous... I use JBL studio reference
    monitors for listening, When I picked up the 1st remastered Sly Stone
    LP on CD I thought I had blown a speaker, until I realized it was
    something I heard frequently sitting at the drums in the 60's next to
    a Fender Bass cabinet with 15" speakers with a blown cone. :-()

    With every medium, there is good, bad, and occasional greatness. So
    it is with music, so it is with photography. (re digital
    photography,,,I think it's called an analogy.)

    Jeff
    Confused, Apr 12, 2005
  17. Scott W

    Charlie Self Guest

    Brian May wrote:

    > Ron> I have to agree with you, Randy. On the other hand, anyone
    > Ron> who doesn't see the advantages of a computer for text input
    > Ron> over a typewriter is MANY bricks short of a full load! Just
    > Ron> ONE key, 'backspace' tells me everything I need to know to
    > Ron> abandon typewriters forever!
    >
    > Not true. Before it was a verbal interface to your secretary
    > (depending on your job of course). "I don't like this word. Please
    > retype the entire page". The lack of the back space button didn't
    > matter to you.
    >
    > Now, in the modern times, you have to do the typing and checking
    > yourself...

    Hah! In the good, old days I did my own typing, as I do now. For a
    professional writer, a computer is a godsend, period. There was no
    secretary. Roll out a 375 page beautifully typed manuscript, and, lo
    and behold, there's a paragraph on page 37 that has to be recast,
    changing length. Big whoops. Pagination may change as well. There's
    more than 300 pages of retyping if done acceptably. With a computer,
    one paragraph and the machine does all the rest.

    Believe me: the backspace key matters. But cut and paste and
    repagination matter more.
    Charlie Self, Apr 12, 2005
  18. Scott W

    mike regish Guest

    This is the root of all kinds of tech advances. I'm a pilot and the current
    war there is GPS vs. VOR navigation and how you're not really navigating
    with a GPS.

    Resistance to progress is hard wired into some people.

    mike

    mike regish, May 7, 2005
  19. Scott W

    mike regish Guest

    I just bought a DSLR and now my kids are using the Powershot. I'm showing
    them how to use it and I can't believe how I put up with that camera for all
    this time. It's nice for portability, but that's about it. And I loved that
    camera! DSLR brought back all the things I missed about film and more.

    BTW, I think I've created a couple of photo monsters. Another advantage of
    digital. Let the kids shoot all they want as long as they understand that
    I'm not printing every shot-like the dirty sock on the rug.

    mike

    mike regish, May 7, 2005