    me the reason, and how to fix it?

    Thanks,

    Dong
    Dong, Nov 21, 2007

  2. Dong

    Bob Williams Guest

    Dong wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My camera produces jpg files. I added texts on some using gimp, and
    > took them to a store to print. I found the text were not on the paper.
    > I tried two stores, and the result is the same.
    >
    > I searched on the web, and cannot find any clue. Can anyone here tell
    > me the reason, and how to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dong

    I've never used Gimp but it must be in the software.
    Text entered with Photoshop DOES indeed print.
    Gimp must add "virtual text" which is sort of like the squiggly lines
    that appear under a misspelled word in a program with a spell checker.
    It appears on your monitor but does not print.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Nov 21, 2007

  3. Dong

    frederick Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Dong wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My camera produces jpg files. I added texts on some using gimp, and
    >> took them to a store to print. I found the text were not on the paper.
    >> I tried two stores, and the result is the same.
    >>
    >> I searched on the web, and cannot find any clue. Can anyone here tell
    >> me the reason, and how to fix it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dong

    > I've never used Gimp but it must be in the software.
    > Text entered with Photoshop DOES indeed print.
    > Gimp must add "virtual text" which is sort of like the squiggly lines
    > that appear under a misspelled word in a program with a spell checker.
    > It appears on your monitor but does not print.
    > Bob Williams

    Nope.
    If you insert text in Gimp, it is added in a layer with
    transparent background. The image should be flattened down
    to a single layer before saving as jpeg. If it isn't, then
    a message dialog will come up warning that the jpeg plugin
    can't handle transparency, and that the "export" button
    won't modify the original image.
    The OP needs to flatten the image to 1 layer before saving it.
    frederick, Nov 21, 2007
  4. Dong

    ChrisM Guest

    In message
    ,
    Dong <> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My camera produces jpg files. I added texts on some using gimp, and
    > took them to a store to print. I found the text were not on the paper.
    > I tried two stores, and the result is the same.
    >
    > I searched on the web, and cannot find any clue. Can anyone here tell
    > me the reason, and how to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dong

    I don't know your level of knowledge, so apologies if this sounds
    patronising, it's not intended to be so...

    There is no reason why this shouldn't work, BUT...
    GIMP by default saves files in its own format (.XCF).
    Also when you add text, you are most likely adding it into a new layer.
    After you have added the text, you need to 'flatten' the image (merge all
    the layers) and then make sure you save it as a .JPG file.
    Maybe when you save the images with your added text, you are saving the
    modified images as a GIMP file, then picking up the original (unmodified)
    ..JPG file from the disk and sending those to the printers.
    I'd try the following:
    1) Copy the files from your memory card onto the computer.
    2) Open in GIMP and add your text.
    3) 'Flatten' the image and save as a JPG file. WITH A DIFFERENT FILENAME So
    that you know which is which.
    4) (Optional, but a good idea) - Open the newly created file in a JPG viewer
    program and check the text is visible.
    5) Send the newly created file to the store...

    HTH

    --
    Regards,
    Chris.